Author Topic: The best way to get the youth more active ....?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Phiruel

• moi
The best way to get the youth more active ....?
« on: November 15, 2006, 09:41:03 AM »
Someone asked me to think about how we can make the youth more active in the Assyrian cause .... Does anyone have suggestions

So not only on the cultural /social area, cause the youth is always in for parties, camps etc but to get them more involved and intrested in our history and politcal area .... and make them work for our people ...

... Assyria is where I am from ...

Offline sargonthedon

Re: The best way to get the youth more active ....?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:59:05 PM »
i think the first thing we have to do is make it easier for the youth to explain who Assyrians are. I remember as a child it was always easier to say i was Iraqi(even though ive never been there) than to say Assyrian because when i was asked what/who Assyrians are i never knew how to answer it.

Id say first step is not to assume that all youth know our history, teach it to them and make them proud of it.

Hopefully then they will all have great ideas and ambitions for the future of our nation.

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:07:08 PM »
Let the youth take the initiative.  I'll give two examples here:  I was involved in two Assyrian youth groups, one affiliated with an Assyrian organization, one with the university I attended.  The organizational one was a total failure.  The elders always questioned everything we did, never approved of our projects, and just constantly tried to micro-manage us.  They wanted us to be a more "traditional" group.  The university one -- the complete opposite.  We ran our own affairs, had our own fund-raisers and were in complete control.  Result?  We were the richest student group on campus during the four years that I was there.
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:07:08 PM »

Offline Phiruel

• moi
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 05:28:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply ...

Baklava can you pm me what you guys did during the university?

Sargon how can we make the youth proud?
... Assyria is where I am from ...

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:12:30 PM »
Eanna habibto, I'm so sorry I forgot to reply!  I hope you don't mind if I reply here; maybe some students can be inspired.

First of all, it's important to remember that from the time I joined, the university's Assyrian club already had a good track record.  The students were very successful in building up the club and each year we had a surplus (extra money).  So whatever fund-raising we did just got added to the pot.  We were also fortunate to have students who were related to high-ranking members of our local Assyrian club and who were quite "pataneh" (bold, or not easily embarrassed), so they were always able to get us the club for free or for a great deal, and they were great at harassing our local business people to donate things to us!

1) House party.  This was the most popular thing we did and the one that drove the elders at the Assyrian organization crazy! We did this several times a year.  We basically used a small room in the back of the hall, got a DJ (he was one of our members, so another free thing), and charged people an entrance fee (if I remember correctly, it was like $5.)  The elders hated the idea of us having a western-style dance party when we were supposed to be an Assyrian youth group.  Our argument was that such events drew people who would normally not take part in our activities.  They already "had" us; we were committed no matter what.  This was an effort to bring in those who really did not take part in Assyrian activities and it worked.

2) We held an "Assyrian Day" on campus.  This was another successful effort.  Each person's mom was to make a dish -- kabobs, lahmajeen, salata, peerokh (a dessert popular with Assyrians from Iran), zlabya, you name it.  We set up a grill in the middle of campus at noon and it's amazing how many hungry students you'll get with that smell!  We also had an information table that included books from famous writers.  We would talk the writers into giving us a percentage of whatever we sold.  We did the same deal with our local Assyrian markets.  They would give us artifacts, cds, shirts, etc. and we would get a small percentage of whatever was sold.

3) Guest Lecturers -- honestly, this was sadly not very popular, but still worth a try.  It was only those really serious few of us who would always attend, and no one else.  Our Assyrian nationals, God bless them, were always eager to get our story across and always agreed to show up for free.  We would just charge a small entrance fee.  Again, pure profit, but it's frustrating when it's a small crowd.

4) The usual car washes, raffle sales (get a local business to donate items and raffle them off.)  These were also quite successful.

5) The big event -- our annual "Scholarship Party."  This is what we worked so hard every year for.  At the end of the Spring semester, we would hold this event at the club.  To this day, I'm always so proud of the success we had with this event every year.  We would invite the President of the university and his cabinet and they always showed up.   It was a dinner party featuring one of our top singers (we had Juliana Jendo one year, and Evin Aghassi another.) Ticket prices were around $25/person, and if anyone complained we reminded them that it was going to educate their children.  At the party, four Assyrian high school seniors were presented with checks for $1,000. 

Hope this helped!

"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

YOUTH PARTY 4 AT SOCIETY: HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

Started by Event PromoterBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 197
Views: 10836
Last post October 29, 2005, 03:33:41 PM
by shamoosey
Youth Party!!!!!!!

Started by Sweet19LifeBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 26
Views: 1371
Last post March 10, 2006, 01:31:05 PM
by atourina
Ashy07's Youth Convention Pix!!!!

Started by AssyrianPrince21Board Chit Chat

Replies: 21
Views: 1538
Last post November 29, 2005, 04:58:13 PM
by ··¤×¤.Dunia··¤×¤...
zowaa youth...

Started by sydneydudeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 31
Views: 8503
Last post February 17, 2006, 03:56:45 PM
by Senator_Danavi
***Ramsen.NET*** New Pictures From Youth Party

Started by rumrumBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 43
Views: 3695
Last post October 24, 2005, 05:36:55 PM
by rumrum
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 4: index+Modifications.english (default), markItUp.english (default), SimTopics.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 25 - 865KB. (show)
Queries used: 24.

[Show Queries]