Author Topic: Reading the Bible  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Renee

• Summer lovin', had me a blast
Reading the Bible
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:14:54 PM »
I've got a individual/personal question for whoever wants to answer.

When you open your Bibles to read, do you go in having preconcieved notions about a topic or idea or belief? Like go in searching for evidence of what you believe and either find it, or find out what you thought migth be wrong?

OR

Do you go in as a black canvas, open to what you learn?

Examples to hightlight answers would be appreciated

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
Re: Reading the Bible
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »
Renee, someone made me read the whole Bible once about 5-6 years ago, kinda funny.  I did it back then to just please this person.  At first, I looked at it with such weight!  I was like, oof!  I don't wanna!  :beee:  But then, I started reading the whole thing, yes even Numbers!   :blink:  I grew up going to church, and praying.  I didn't have a real relationship with Jesus.  It was always within my limits, not His.  So going into reading, I did have a lot of preconceived notions.  But God changed all that!  His Word changed all that.  Once you allow the Holy Spirit to work, there's no ending to what is possible.  Some Christians I've met tend to forget about the Holy Spirit.  I've prayed a lot that God fills me with the Holy Spirit.  And He always answers my prayers.   

Now, when there is something in particular that I'm searching for, I have a study Bible that has a concordance/dictionary that I'll be able to look up the word of interest and it points me in the right direction.  I like to be in the Word as much as I can on a daily basis. And I just found sooo much good information in the Bible.  I even learned a whole lot about being Assyrian.  And why we do the things we do in our Assyrian Church today.  It's made love being Assyrian that much more.  I've noticed also that a lot of times I just pick up the Bible to read because I miss God's Words when I don't hear or see It.  Sometimes I study, sometimes I read for comfort.  Sometimes I want to be right (PRIDE, and find out that I'm dead wrong), sometimes I'm open and I humble myself.  It depends on my mood.  But I will tell you one thing.  When Jesus said....those who hunger and thirst, boy He wasn't kidding!  It's like this never ending hunger to want MORE!!!! I'm addicted!
"Apologetics only leads the "horse" to the water. Only the Holy Spirit can make him drink."

"Judgement Day is not going to be so much God chasing down errant sinners and throwing them into hell, but rather God simply giving men what they have already chosen beforehand - either an eternity of the darkness they spent their lives hiding in or an eternity of the Light they spent their lives seeking out. -unknown"

Offline Renee

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 12:16:18 AM »
That was a beautiful answer...

It made me think of this Christian bookshop I go to. I love going there at night, I love the feeling I get being in that shop.

I miss God's words...I haven't read much lately but I will tonight. Thanks for that Claridy, it motivated me  :bigarmhug:

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 12:18:43 AM »
With pleasuer sweets!   :winkkiss:
"Apologetics only leads the "horse" to the water. Only the Holy Spirit can make him drink."

"Judgement Day is not going to be so much God chasing down errant sinners and throwing them into hell, but rather God simply giving men what they have already chosen beforehand - either an eternity of the darkness they spent their lives hiding in or an eternity of the Light they spent their lives seeking out. -unknown"

Offline sydneydude

• Mid-Level Member
  • making no mistakes determines certain victory
    • http://myspace.com/peteresho
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 12:20:18 AM »
That was a beautiful answer...

It made me think of this Christian bookshop I go to. I love going there at night, I love the feeling I get being in that shop.

I miss God's words...I haven't read much lately but I will tonight. Thanks for that Claridy, it motivated me  :bigarmhug:

Renee,

You talking about KOORONG ?

Offline Renee

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 12:27:08 AM »
Yeah but the one in Penrith not Ryde

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 05:44:28 AM »
I don't read the bible with pre-conceived ideas.  I find those who do don't learn anything and are looking for ways to justify their own beliefs, rather than just learning a lesson. 

It had been ages since I had read the bible and after somebody dear to me (an online buddy) said the words, "shame on you" very recently, it triggered me off and I have been reading it a lot more than before.  I have even progressed further into it than before (I had only ever read the first 4 books of the New Testament in the past).  Not having Christians around me, my bible is the only object that I have to give me spiritual strength. 
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (1994, 2006 and 2010).

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 06:47:02 AM »
I believe that we all read the Bible with preconceived ideas.  The real question is though, are we able to challenge our own presuppositions when it doesn't agree with Scripture.
Rom 8:28  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Offline Ankido

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 07:01:25 AM »
Yea, that's a very good point John.  After all when we are reading God's Word, its meant to speak to us to reveal the truth about God and about ourselves, to enlighten our weak and mortal minds.  I suppose a good way of doing it is have a quick prayer before you read and then open up a book in the bible that you haven't read before.  God will reveal truths to you that you are not aware of.  Other people are more systematic like following a guide, from what i hear the 40 day purpose (im not sure if that's the correct name) is an excellent book.
To him who is afflicted, kindness should be shown by his friend, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.  Job 6:14

Offline MXJSPH

• Special Member
    • Civilised Violence
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 11:41:11 AM »
Everybody has a disposition, even those people who deny it. Its natural..

We are influenced by what we want to hear, subconsciously..
"What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star? Thus asks the last man, and he blinks. The earth has become small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small"

Friedrich Nietzsche

civilisedviolence.wordpress.com

Offline Renee

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 04:43:05 PM »
Everybody has a disposition, even those people who deny it. Its natural..

We are influenced by what we want to hear, subconsciously..

I'd disagree with that...I'd say we are influenced by what we subconsciously and consciously believe, which isn't necessarily what we want to hear. If we were always influenced by what we want to hear, I don't see change as a possibility

Offline MXJSPH

• Special Member
    • Civilised Violence
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 06:38:24 PM »
Renee, what we subconsciously and consciously believe..

You have to consider HOW did we attain these beliefs? And you cant really say you dont see change as a possibility if we are always influenced by what we want to hear.. Influence can only go so far can it not? Thats why some politicians are immensely gifted.. The power of persuasion should not be overlooked because true power for these people lie in the act of convincing others either in despite of what they want to hear, or catoring for it. If the idea or whatever is that strong, it can overide and convince an individual otherwise.. Thus change is possible.

For example, people are dying in one particular place in the world, theres famine, drout, hardship and murder. We are told everything will be alright by others who are apparently handling the situation. Now what do we do? We generally say 'ok'.. its being dealt with. But is it really? We want to hear it is being dealt with and once we hear it, our thoughts are that little bit more at ease. It isn't probably being dealt with. Nothing really is being done. So our actions in this case are dictated by what we want to hear.. We dont really want to do anything, we want to hear its fine, so when its said, we lap it up. This brings into mind that movie I mentioned - Hotel Rwanda, if you watch it, you'd know what I mean.. It ties in perfectly with this thread.

Digressions aside, nobody ever really approaches something with a totally neutral outlook on it. Everyone has their prejudices, however small or large. I read the bible when I was 11 (KJV), and it took me 3 years to complete it. I did it at that age so I wouldn't already be set in my ways.. Like I wanted to read it with an open mind.. Not already have developed opinions on it. But it was inevitable.. I was reading it and I wanted to believe in Jesus, I wanted to be a part of that.. So even then, I wasn't totally without dispositions.

Anyways, thats the most I will be saying 'I' on this forum.

Good day.
"What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star? Thus asks the last man, and he blinks. The earth has become small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small"

Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Renee

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 06:53:04 PM »
I understand your point, but humans are quite combative with their thinking.

The whole Rwanda situation, it was ignore, to say the least...no media coverage so people weren't hearing anything. People plod along with their lives BELIEVING bad things don't happen in the world, that the world is experienced the same by all so ignoring the situation is the best way to maintain this ignorant status quo.

Your example about reading the Bible, I'd say you already had a deep seated belief in jesus, probably instilled by the age of 3 and so you went in search of evidence to support what you already believed...at least at a subconscious level. By the age of 11, you're already on automatic pilot with many of the beliefs you develop at a few months, a few years of age.

We hear things that contradict our beliefs and filter them out with ease, but once we become open to the possibility of this new information, when the strength of the belief is not set in concrete, it is then, the things we hear start to have an influence. However if you have a strong held belief, be it conscious or subconscious, we become very oppositional with what we hear that contradicts it

Offline Senan

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »
before i sleep i usually continue reaidng from where i left off.. i read a little it from the new testament and a little bit from the old testement.. but I also do go back to various chapters to prove a point... At times i am guilty of pointing out to verses that prove my point and sometimes disregard verses that go against my point.. but when im reading to myself, i have a clear conscious and dont only look at what i want to hear...

Offline MXJSPH

• Special Member
    • Civilised Violence
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 07:16:23 PM »
Yeah thats fine, but some people still knew about Rwanda.. Thats the point - if anyone knew.

Regardless though, I know what you mean.. Reading the Bible was a very good experience for me even at such an age. I read several parts of it again as I got older. Still, all I was highlighting was the fact that the powers of persuasion often go unnoticed. You have to realise sometimes its better to be open to new things. Maintaining one's principles can be a good OR a bad thing. Belief that can be swayed can have both good or bad consequences. (As in reforming criminals for example). Although you probably know that anyway.

Going back to the topic at hand, a book like the Bible is an incredibly loaded book. It has such a weight and bearing in the world, one must have some suppositions, or a stance beforehand. The mind cannot have just went through life without acquiring ideals or principles - at any age. We acquire an essence.. and we keep on growing..

Er, yeah.

:)

Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 08:04:25 PM »
I still stand by what I said about pre-conceived ideas.  If You have pre-conceived ideas, you shouldn't read it in the first place because nothing you read will change your pre-conceived ideas.  Go in with a clear mind and an open mind.  Well I can only speak for myself but I am telling you, it is the natural way to read anything, whether it be the bible or anything.
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (1994, 2006 and 2010).

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 08:19:50 PM »
Reading sometimes dosen't get you anywhere.  Because you do have certain ideas beforehand, preconceived notions.  Like John 5 24 said before, we must pray.  Praying/meditating and reading go hand in hand.  If you want to furthur your knowlegde, you must come to Him Who gives Wisdom freely.  We have our own human wisdom, it can be very limiting.  It's nothing in comparison to God's Wisdom.  And, you won't get God's Wisdom if you aren't praying/asking for it. 

Offline sydneydude

• Mid-Level Member
  • making no mistakes determines certain victory
    • http://myspace.com/peteresho
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 08:32:28 PM »
renee in response to your initial question,
i guess the bible is a microcasm of a lifelong conversation with God. as in any conversation you have different moods and different topics to discuss...thus i apply the following when i read. when i want:

* wisdom i read proverbs
* inspiration i read psalms
* understanding i read the Gospels
* hope and maturity i read paul's letters
* to start spinning out i read revelations LOL na jk

and when i dont know what to read i always just read James.

but i think in any reading plan its good to read the old testament, gospels and one of paul's letters. this is the structure of our Church razza if you have noticed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 08:35:09 PM by sydneydude »

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 08:41:40 PM »
Pete, I'm so glad to see you have a plan!  No wonder you are so smart!   :wub:

Offline Renee

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 11:56:21 PM »
hahaha I read James when I want to be put in my place, when I need that type of honesty to snap me back.

I've never read Paul's letters or Revelations

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 12:23:53 AM »
Renee!  I love Paul's letters!  So good.  And Revelations is so beautifully written.  I saw a really good movie that was taken straight from that book.  It's called Apocolypse.  Not what it sounds like at all!  It was funny because once I was reading the book of Revelations.  Well, I love to draw.  I was thinking and praying at the same time. God, I wish there was someone who can draw this out, or make a movie.  That later that week I went to Blockbuster and picked up this movie.  I was kind of like, eh?  I wasn't expecting much.  But I watched it, and word for word, right out of the Bible.  The movie blew away any type of idea I had.  It turned out to be great!  I love it.  And it's part of the Bible collection.  Here's Amazon's page on it.  Apparently the actor was well known in his time. 

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001HAHNC/102-6568147-3564942?v=glance

You should watch it when you get a chance.  You won't be dissapointed!  There is a favorite scene in there of Jesus going up the steps of Heaven.  That in it alone gave me a lot of hope.  Very good movie!   :thumbsup:

Offline Renee

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 12:27:11 AM »
Thanks, I might check it out...by the way, i didn't get around to reading the other post, I'll try for tonight  :)

Offline Mikoyasha

• Only God will Judge me. =)
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 11:58:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure I read the bible with an open mind, and a heart that needs inspiration, and the word of the Lord. The story of Moses particularly is a favorite of mine, for some reason, I think because he is the 'deliverer' and God intrusted him with such power that he didn't abuse. ((And remember, he was converted from the Egyptian beliefs to Christianity... or Jewish as it were.)) I think, overall I love the Old Testament more, because it seems sort of... I don't know, unreal, right?

But when I'm thinking about the rapture, and the revelation, I read the New Testament, and then Revelations. But usually, it's not because of something I want to prove... Or clarify, I don't think.

40 day purpose

Yup, I have that book, it's called, "The Purpose Driven Life."
You're supposed to read a chapter a day, and do what it says each night. I got to the last few chapters, and then I stopped reading it. I don't know why... I think I'll pick it up again.

Don't sign the covenant ((I think that's what it's called  :giggle:)), if you're not going to read a chapter a day. You have to spend forty days on it... I read ahead though, and didn't sign the thing, because I was planning on re-reading it...

Later Days!

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 06:54:48 PM »
The 40 Day Purpose Life study is a self help book with Christian terminology wrapped in.  It's hardly Christian, I don't care how many verses Rick Warren uses.  It's self help psychology in a nice little package.
Rom 8:28  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 06:54:48 PM »

Bible Reading...

Started by ClaridyBoard Religion and Spirituality

Replies: 2
Views: 979
Last post May 18, 2006, 11:06:21 PM
by Claridy
Raped for reading the Bible

Started by peachyBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 16
Views: 730
Last post April 17, 2007, 05:53:29 PM
by Valantina
Bible Lesson

Started by ClaridyBoard Religion and Spirituality

Replies: 14
Views: 3089
Last post March 08, 2006, 12:09:20 PM
by Claridy
**Bible Studies** Week One

Started by ReneeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 29
Views: 4349
Last post January 26, 2006, 03:37:48 AM
by Senator_Danavi
Mar Bawai Bible Study

Started by aka_AtourBoard Culture & History

Replies: 17
Views: 3129
Last post March 12, 2006, 08:18:54 AM
by Salem
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 912KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]