Author Topic: Do we follow God because of our fear or our believes?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline KeKwAnTa_MaRiAn

• Mid-Level Member
Do we follow God because of our fear or our believes?
« on: November 24, 2005, 11:18:15 AM »
Reading so many things on this message board I get the idea that we fear God rather than worship him...correct me if I am wrong.

So, are we worshipping God because we believe in him for he is the creator of this world, or do we obey him because of our fear of punishment?

So why do you worship God?

Nothing to put here!

Offline babylonx

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 11:45:42 AM »
Both!
We never asked to be created and we had no control over it, but were still thankful! However, whether we get punished or receive eternal life thats up to us, so ofcourse we fear it!

Offline Senan

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 12:36:11 PM »
We should be worshiping him for Both; because we fear him and because hes the creator.  

But, I think we worship him mostly because hes the creator.  because if he was feared more, then we would have more worshipers.  If the world feared God more, then there would be less corruption.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline KeKwAnTa_MaRiAn

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:41:55 PM »
Good point babylonx...

However, if you know your following the right path, what do you have to fear other than the unknown beyond our current life?

Don't you find that some people or i should say majority would do things out of fear of punishment!

i mean, most people will go to church, not to pray and be thankful but might be out of fear of being punished after life which is unknown to most of us!
That is just one example of many that people do out of fear…
Nothing to put here!

Offline KeKwAnTa_MaRiAn

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 12:49:56 PM »
Quote from: Malka_shomana
We should be worshiping him for Both; because we fear him and because hes the creator.  

But, I think we worship him mostly because hes the creator.  because if he was feared more, then we would have more worshipers.  If the world feared God more, then there would be less corruption.

in a way maybe so, however out of love, honesty and purity should be the reason to follow christianity, not out of fear of punishment...

if we follow christianity out of fear, than we form negative questions about God and Jesus and thier limits of love and forgivness which the bible teaches us...don't u think?
Nothing to put here!

Offline Senan

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 01:07:04 PM »
Quote from: KeKwAnTa_MaRiAn
Quote from: Malka_shomana

in a way maybe so, however out of love, honesty and purity should be the reason to follow christianity, not out of fear of punishment...

if we follow christianity out of fear, than we form negative questions about God and Jesus and thier limits of love and forgivness which the bible teaches us...don't u think?

No, we follow christianity WITH with love, honesty and purity, so we dont get punished later.  

Let me put it this way, dont we follow christianity because we believe that its the right path into the kingdom of God, and if we choose to follow a different path, then we are sent to hell.  If no one feared hell, then who cares what path u decide to live your life.  So to a certain point, u do follow christianty because of fear.

Offline MXJSPH

• Special Member
    • Civilised Violence
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 01:25:44 PM »
I was listening to a speaker, a religious Assyrian one.. that said:

''.. We must fear God.." .. somewhere amidst his address to the people.

Now, there is a problem with this, its very ambiguous...

Is fear an instrinsic part of love? One can argue fear only comes into love when one thinks of loss, and surely God is not a being of loss, but life and creation. I find it very difficult to align fear with the Christian God, who is meant to represent love and compassion.

I still firmly believe that fear shouldn't be conceived as a necessary part to follow a religion. Although, upon reflection, I find it impossible that religions would still exist without the fear they instill into the potential 'sinners'.. In some ways its good to fear something because you acknowledge its greatness and superiority, however in these matters, the object of ones fear is the 'unknown' - any afterlife. I think this is the ultimate fear that binds people to religion.

I don't agree with it though.. hence my agnosticism.
"What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star? Thus asks the last man, and he blinks. The earth has become small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small"

Friedrich Nietzsche

civilisedviolence.wordpress.com

Offline KeKwAnTa_MaRiAn

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 02:22:11 PM »
Malka_shomana

Of course we fear hell, but that is not what I mean…
I mean why follow God because we fear hell? Shouldn’t we follow God because he is the creator?
You are right, to an extent we must have fear, but as Mjay said, we shouldn’t follow a religion based on fear!
Nothing to put here!

Offline Senan

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 02:41:10 PM »
Quote from: KeKwAnTa_MaRiAn
Malka_shomana

Of course we fear hell, but that is not what I mean…
I mean why follow God because we fear hell? Shouldn’t we follow God because he is the creator?
You are right, to an extent we must have fear, but as Mjay said, we shouldn’t follow a religion based on fear!

thats exactly what i meant in my first post.. we worship God for because hes the creator and also fear...

I wrote in my first post...

But, I think we worship him mostly because hes the creator. because if he was feared more, then we would have more worshipers. If the world feared God more, then there would be less corruption.

Offline babylonx

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 03:30:49 PM »
If were following the right path, then we shouldn't fear him. But no one is perfect, everyone sins or gets tempted to sin every now and then. We also know that God does punish sinners, there is great evidence of this in the old testament and also in the new testament since sometimes after Jesus would heal someone he would say your sins are forgiven and dont sin again. Therefore God punishes sinners, and we are ALL sinners to some degree!

Offline Nore

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 04:47:10 PM »
I think it's both, for reasons stated by the others.

Offline Angel2

• Special Member
  • 6/14/08
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 06:24:38 PM »
People believe b/c it's in them.........for me the reason I turned to God is through all my hardships I've realized there is a power higher than anything possible AND I know God is the one carrying my weight.

People worship God not b/c they fear him, but cuz they see the faults within humanity............God loves you regardless if U R rich or smart and so people seek this unconditional love.
"May the Lord Bless You & continually fill your heart with His Love. May He give you victory in every trial you face.....As you are blessed of the Lord, may you become a blessing in return to all those who share your life."   Audrey Jeanne Roberts

Offline Iraqi_Irani_Al-Farabi

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 01:03:58 AM »
My personal belief is that religious people worship God out of fear.  This is one of the many traits in religion that turns me off.  I mean I go out to eat with my Muslim friends sometimes, and then some good looking kabob is on the menu.  And they say something like 'oh man that looks good..but damn I cant have it'.  Its like they're killing themselves just cuz of fear.  If they want to eat it they should, instead of sitting there and fearing being roasted in the oven one day.  Its so hypocritical and stupid.
'The known is finite, the unkown infinite; intellectually we stand on an islet in the midst of an illimitable ocean of inexplicability. Our business in every generation is to reclaim a little more land.' - T.H. Huxley

Offline Senan

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 01:50:12 AM »
Quote from: Senalko
Characters of GOD : He is Love, thus we should love him, he is honest, thus we should appreciate him, he is merciful, thus we should be thankful to him, he is your Savior, thus we should rejoice in him, He is your friend, thus you should treat him with respect, BUT

GOD is also Just.... With justice, comes Judgment and with Jusgment comes Punishment, Thus We should Fear him and beleieve his words when he says that those who Choose NOT to accept jesus christ as their Saviors, and those who indulge themseleves in human practices rathar than the True Worshipping of GOD, and those who Worship false GOD's and follow False religions WILL not see the light of the day but suffer in burning fire for ever and ever....

YOU should never follow christ becuase u fear him.... people that are worried about their own Salvation only are often self-Destructive, in their desperate attempts to be perfect and to do all what god wants, Their hearts become Cruel, and they become very judgmental, they dont see the True message of GOD - LOVE, not only for him but also for your next door neighbour....

very well put! :)

Offline asH

• WHY ARE YOU READING THIS??
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 02:30:42 AM »
both.. fear more though.. although we ask for His help always.. so yeh..

Offline Uneek

re
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »
both :mrgreen:
What you think about me is your opinion, what you know about me is what people say, and what you think you know about me isn’t me at all.
Author: I DUNNO!

Who believes....

Started by KeKwAnTa_MaRiAnBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 17
Views: 1812
Last post December 14, 2005, 11:20:23 AM
by _diesel_
Clashes follow Egypt Copt funeral

Started by SalemBoard Culture & History

Replies: 0
Views: 646
Last post April 15, 2006, 09:29:33 PM