Author Topic: canucks follow toronto's footsteps  (Read 850 times)

Offline assyrian_dude

• Special Member
canucks follow toronto's footsteps
« on: April 25, 2006, 08:32:40 PM »

Marc Crawford paid a mighty price for missing the playoffs, losing his job as head coach of Vancouver Canucks.

Crawford was fired Tuesday by the Canucks, who finished a disappointing ninth in the Western Conference with a 42-32-8 record and failed to reach the post-season for the first time since 2000.

"We felt that our team needs a kick-start," Canucks general manager Dave Nonis told reporters at General Motors Place.

"We haven't played with the fire that we have been known to have had [so] I felt that a change behind the bench was the first place to start. I want to make it clear that this does not absolve the players."

Vancouver stumbled badly down the stretch, losing six of its last eight games to relinquish the eighth and final playoff spot to the Edmonton Oilers.

"I think we need some new energy, new juice," Nonis said. "It does not go any deeper than that."

Crawford, 45, was hired on Jan. 24, 1999, and went on to become the winningest head coach in franchise history at 246-197-70.

Problem was, he won only one series in four trips to the playoffs.

"He was very thankful for the time that he has had here," Nonis said of Crawford, who had one year at $1 million US remaining on his contract.

"He would have liked another year to get back at it. But he's been around this game a long time.

"He handled it very well. Probably better than I did."

Vancouver set several franchise records under Crawford in 2003-04, including points (104) and consecutive wins (10).

But Nonis acknowledged that this season was different, even suggesting that Crawford lost the commitment of key contributors.

"I think there is a lot of blame to be spread around and I think a lot of that falls on the shoulders of those in that room," Nonis said.

Crawford has 411 career wins as head coach of the Quebec Nordiques, Colorado Avalanche and Canucks.

Taking the helm of the Nordiques in 1994-95, he became the youngest recipient of the Jack Adams Trophy as top coach and won a Stanley Cup with the Avalanche in 1995-96.

Crawford also served as head coach of Team Canada at the 1998 Nagano Olympic Winter Games.

Crawford, a Belleville, Ont., native, totalled 19 goals and 50 points in 176 NHL games as a player — all for Vancouver.

with files from Canadian Press

Offline R O B I N

• Ultimate Member
  • I LOVE CARRO
Re: canucks follow toronto's footsteps
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:06:16 AM »
I hope he comes and coaches toronto
"Jesus, Please come in, forgive me my sins, fill me with your love and give me your gift of eternal life. Amen"

Offline ilonty

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:49:25 PM »
I hope he comes and coaches toronto

The Maple Leafs organization do know him very well, when he coached the minors (Baby Leafs) He went on to win a stanley cup for Colorado. JFJ did say he would look for the best people out there, I think now Crawford could be one of the candidates beside Maurice. Maybe Ferguson should consider him?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:52:51 PM by ilonty »
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."     
-Matthew 16:26 -

GO LEAFS GO AZZURRI GO

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:49:25 PM »

Offline assyrian_dude

• Special Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 01:14:49 PM »
well isnt he known to not get along with big named players???

so how could he be good for toronto

Offline ilonty

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »
He might be good or might not be goood for the Leafs, you never know  :)  I know he "big named players" they don't get a long example him and (Bertuzzi) and some people don't like him because of what happen before when he didn't let Gretsky in the shootout at Nagano  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:31:10 PM by ilonty »
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."     
-Matthew 16:26 -

GO LEAFS GO AZZURRI GO

Offline Assy Gal

• I LOVE THE OILERS TO DEATH!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 05:22:27 PM »
HAHA jareh...looks like a lot off ppl are gettting fired these days  :ban:

Do we follow God because of our fear or our believes?

Started by KeKwAnTa_MaRiAnBoard Culture & History

Replies: 15
Views: 3126
Last post November 25, 2005, 05:40:49 AM
by Uneek
Toronto's New Soccer Team!

Started by EnkiBoard Sports

Replies: 20
Views: 2233
Last post May 18, 2006, 05:43:04 PM
by Enki
Clashes follow Egypt Copt funeral