Author Topic: Assyrian lawyer Robert Dekelaita verdict today  (Read 2272 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Assyrian lawyer Robert Dekelaita verdict today
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:27:03 PM »
Not sure if anyone is following Assyrian lawyer Robert Dekelaita trial in Chicago. Today they court found him guilty on 4 counts. Very devastating to hear this. But I believe it is not done yet and there is more to be trailed yet.

If you want to learn more about his case and why he is being trialled (allegations of immigration fraud) google his name and you will find a fb group dedicated to his trial.

Ashoor

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Re: Assyrian lawyer Robert Dekelaita verdict today
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
for goodness sake, Obama's nobel "peace" prize is all but a joke now...

I knew nothing good would come from him but I believe McCain would've likely dragged the USA into Syria just to remove Assad and then Syria would've plunged similarly itself.

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »
What has happened to Robert is truly a tragedy.  He has been targeted because of his effectiveness.  This is not only happening to him, but to all Assyrians.   
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »
What has happened to Robert is truly a tragedy.  He has been targeted because of his effectiveness.  This is not only happening to him, but to all Assyrians.   

We should do all it takes to get him out. Petitions or have a way to reduce his sentence as much as possible?

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:41 AM »

Barshie, if you are aware of his trial, can you clafiy what is happening next? do they await the sentencing now? or does the trial go on? people were so caught up in emotions and outrage yesterday, and no one mentioned anything about what happens next. Is it a forgone conclusion that he is going to prison or is there more to it?

By the way, on my recent visit to Chicago, I was driving on some street, and out of nowhere, I passed by his office and wow how beautiful it was!

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
Barshie, if you are aware of his trial, can you clafiy what is happening next? do they await the sentencing now? or does the trial go on? people were so caught up in emotions and outrage yesterday, and no one mentioned anything about what happens next. Is it a forgone conclusion that he is going to prison or is there more to it?

By the way, on my recent visit to Chicago, I was driving on some street, and out of nowhere, I passed by his office and wow how beautiful it was!

ASHOOR

I am proud to say that Robert is my cousin (from my mothers side).

Robert was wrongfully convicted of 4 counts, and is facing a total of 35 years in prison (4-10 years per count).  The verdict will definitely be appealed.  Sentencing is currently set for August 3rd.    Nobody knows if he will just get probation or will do time, but if you ask me for my gut feeling, I think they are going to crucify him to continue to make an example of him.  I still can't believe this is happening.  I am amazed at Roberts courage and strength.  He is a pillar and example to all of us. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:34:01 PM by ASHUR »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
I am proud to say that Robert is my cousin (from my mothers side).

Robert was wrongfully convicted of 4 counts, and is facing a total of 35 years in prison (4-10 years per count).  The verdict will definitely be appealed.  Sentencing is currently set for August 3rd.    Nobody knows if he will just get probation or will do time, but if you ask me for my gut feeling, I think they are going to crucify him to continue to make an example of him.  I still can't believe this is happening.  I am amazed at Roberts courage and strength.  He is a pillar and example to all of us. 

wait what was the exact reason they're doing this to him for?

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »
Please visit www.standwithrobert.com for all the information you would need

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014, attorney Robert DeKelaita was indicted on federal immigration fraud charges. Robert was charged with one count of conspiracy to commit immigration and naturalization fraud, as well as three counts of both immigration fraud and suborning perjury. His office was raided and he was arrested at his office early that morning, without notice. The government is saying Assyrians in Iraq are not in danger of persecution and he made it all up and taught his clients to lie.

Interestingly enough, the twelve cases in question are all Iraqi Christian (Assyrian) cases.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
Please visit www.standwithrobert.com for all the information you would need

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014, attorney Robert DeKelaita was indicted on federal immigration fraud charges. Robert was charged with one count of conspiracy to commit immigration and naturalization fraud, as well as three counts of both immigration fraud and suborning perjury. His office was raided and he was arrested at his office early that morning, without notice. The government is saying Assyrians in Iraq are not in danger of persecution and he made it all up and taught his clients to lie.

Interestingly enough, the twelve cases in question are all Iraqi Christian (Assyrian) cases.

So they let undocumented Mexicans over the border no problem but with Robert, it's a big deal? In the most Liberal city nontheless...

Assyrians aren't persecuted my ass, we should protest and rebel against this case.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:39:57 PM by mrzurnaci »

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »
Common sense is not so common.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »
35 years in jail?

WHAT!?

Even murderers and rapists barely get that much nowadays.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 10:03:14 PM »
35 years in jail?

WHAT!?

Even murderers and rapists barely get that much nowadays.

Ikr, we should appeal the ever loving ikhreh out of this case.

What if we take this to the Supreme court?

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 11:00:52 AM »
The appeal will be filed within 30 days of Mondays verdict.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
I seriously think this should be taken to the supreme court.

Offline Kosovo1389

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
When we have those who claim to be leading the Assyrian community paying $2,700 for a single seat at a Hillary Clinton rally and having their photo taken with the infamous Bubba, this is sadly what we ought to expect to get in return...
Zivjela Srbija.

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
I am not intricately familiar with the Federal Court appeals process, but all possible legal avenues are being explored.  It is worth noting that even before the trial started, legal fees had already reached $300,000.  As mentioned, this does not include attorneys fees for the trial itself.  The Assyrian community must not stop supporting Robert morally or financially (donate here: http://standwithrobert.com/take-a-stand/legal-fund/).  This was not an attack solely on Robert, but not all of us.  This is not only his fight, but all of ours.   

Below is the latest message FROM ROBERT after the conviction:

"Thank you all for your moral and material support.  My family and I are deeply appreciative.  Rest assured that I have been, am today, and always will be proud of my record in helping thousands of people to seek safety and stability in their lives.  My career was a small price to pay.  I am honored to have paid it."  Know that Robert is unafraid. 

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
When we have those who claim to be leading the Assyrian community paying $2,700 for a single seat at a Hillary Clinton rally and having their photo taken with the infamous Bubba, this is sadly what we ought to expect to get in return...

Mark Arabo?

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
I am not intricately familiar with the Federal Court appeals process, but all possible legal avenues are being explored.  It is worth noting that even before the trial started, legal fees had already reached $300,000.  As mentioned, this does not include attorneys fees for the trial itself.  The Assyrian community must not stop supporting Robert morally or financially (donate here: http://standwithrobert.com/take-a-stand/legal-fund/).  This was not an attack solely on Robert, but not all of us.  This is not only his fight, but all of ours.   

Below is the latest message FROM ROBERT after the conviction:

"Thank you all for your moral and material support.  My family and I are deeply appreciative.  Rest assured that I have been, am today, and always will be proud of my record in helping thousands of people to seek safety and stability in their lives.  My career was a small price to pay.  I am honored to have paid it."  Know that Robert is unafraid. 

I don't know Robert and only heard of him in the last few months, but one thing I noticed and really admire is his courage and strong moral convictions. Throughout this trial, I have heard and seen him repeat the same message and not changing his stance, which is very principled of him. I really admire a person so strong, especially when it is a lawyer who are known to go with the direction of the wind.

We are all behind him and hope he gets cleared of all the charges against him. The justice system is trialing him for an issue that is very complicated (asylum seekers from the middle east) .

ASHOOR

Offline Kosovo1389

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »
Mark Arabo?

Someone even more messed up a hundred miles north, in LA. But I did remember Mark Arabo as the second idiot to do that. Another reason why I respect Ben Kalasho, standing up to Sarhad Jammo and #feelthebern
Zivjela Srbija.

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 05:40:14 AM »
Someone even more messed up a hundred miles north, in LA. But I did remember Mark Arabo as the second idiot to do that.

I just remembered who you are talking about lol, he is a very confusing man but he does address the problems back in Iraq as 'Chaldeans'.

Offline Kosovo1389

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 08:45:29 PM »
I just remembered who you are talking about lol, he is a very confusing man but he does address the problems back in Iraq as 'Chaldeans'.

This is a clergy I am talking about. Same person?
Zivjela Srbija.

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr

Offline Kosovo1389

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:55:22 PM by Kosovo1389 »
Zivjela Srbija.

Sign this petition to help free Assyrian lawyer Robert DeKelaita!

Started by Bronit OmtaBoard Serious Topics and Discussions

Replies: 13
Views: 974
Last post February 24, 2017, 08:55:04 PM
by Cascade
No Bad News on Assyrian Voice Today!

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 4
Views: 726
Last post December 24, 2005, 02:34:42 PM
by atourina
Met an Assyrian Today in One of the most Unlikliest Places!

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 16
Views: 813
Last post February 26, 2007, 11:02:31 PM
by BuNzZz
"CityTV LIVE" at 6:00PM "TODAY" Assyrian Toronto Picnic re: IRAQ's Winning Match

Started by SeggoneeBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 4
Views: 558
Last post July 31, 2007, 02:19:54 PM
by Hilwa
TODAY: Assyrian Youth (in Iraq) Interview on Ashur TV

Started by shamirumBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 564
Last post October 20, 2007, 03:44:30 AM
by shamirum