Author Topic: Can you swim?  (Read 501 times)

Offline Neon

• Try and fail, but never fail to try.
Can you swim?
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:10:42 AM »
Who here can swim?

I'm usually one of the few people you'll see at the deeper end on the beach.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
Re: Can you swim?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 05:14:36 AM »
Can anybody from Australia (apart from those with hydrophobia) not swim?
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (*1994, 2006 and 2010).

Offline Neon

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:36:01 AM »
Can anybody from Australia (apart from those with hydrophobia) not swim?
So I take it that you can swim in deep waters?
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:36:01 AM »

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 02:57:47 AM »
So I take it that you can swim in deep waters?
I assumed everyone from Australia (unless they have hydrophobia) is able to before they finish school.  Unless the curriculum has changed since I was in high school (yes it was a long time ago).
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (*1994, 2006 and 2010).

Offline Neon

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:55:54 AM »
I assumed everyone from Australia (unless they have hydrophobia) is able to before they finish school.  Unless the curriculum has changed since I was in high school (yes it was a long time ago).
That's far from the case. That's why I said that, at the beach I'm one of the few people you'll see at the deep end, treading water.

We did compulsory swimming lessons in the late 90s/early 2000s btw. Not everyone passed. In fact, many didn't even advance to the higher levels.

Offline Bronit Omta

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »
Us Australian Assyrians are dolphins in the water. Had some Assyrians from Khabour that came and they got into it as well.

Offline KingA

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
I can swim", but not in the sea lol

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 12:09:07 AM »
That's far from the case. That's why I said that, at the beach I'm one of the few people you'll see at the deep end, treading water.

We did compulsory swimming lessons in the late 90s/early 2000s btw. Not everyone passed. In fact, many didn't even advance to the higher levels.

I am sorry to hear that.  Once upon a time, it was assumed that everyone could swim.  Maybe not Olympic level, but at least swim to survive.  Our education standards in Australia have really gone down.

Offline Kelba

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
Us Australian Assyrians are dolphins in the water. Had some Assyrians from Khabour that came and they got into it as well.

I always figured since we are hairy people, the hair would introduce a lot of drag and thus we would be bad swimmers. Guess not? xD

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 06:49:10 AM »
I always figured since we are hairy people, the hair would introduce a lot of drag and thus we would be bad swimmers. Guess not? xD
We may not win Olympic gold medals for the reasons you mentioned, but nothing stopping us from being able to swim.

Offline BooQta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
I can. Hard not to though, having grown up in Greece that's all we did for 3 months a year 12 hours a day. I have swallowed (accidentally of course) enough sea water in my lifetime too. Oh the memories...
Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »
I can. Hard not to though, having grown up in Greece that's all we did for 3 months a year 12 hours a day. I have swallowed (accidentally of course) enough sea water in my lifetime too. Oh the memories...

Damn it, have you? :biggrin: JK, who hasn't :angelnot:

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
Ok, good question, where do I start?

First of all, when we were kids back home, my father would take us to a well known hotel (which my cousin used to manage) and it had a great looking swimming pool. But unfortunately we didn't go enough to learn.

Then in my teenage years, we spent about 2.5 years in Greece (like BooQta) but I used to work full time, so I couldn't go to the beach much (maybe total of 7 times in 2.5 years? So still not enough to learn and master it.

Then we got to Canada and I went almost 15 years with hardly ever going into a swimming pool (what a loss!) .

In 2015, went on a vacation to Punta Cana and I can say I finally gotten better at it. Yes, in one week I managed to finally learn it after not caring much in 2 decades or more.

Basically, between 2011 and 2016, where I did too much travelling to places with beaches and swimming pools (Vegas, Caribbean, cruising in Europe, southern US, Dominican Republic etc.) I had no option but to get better at it.

And now every summer, I am registering to Wonderland which has a swimming pool, so I hope to learn even more :)

I love being in the water!

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:36:36 PM by ASHOOR »
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Neon

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 12:34:48 AM »
I love being in the water too. This summer has been exceptionally hot (hottest since records began in 1880s). I've been beaches and lakes most of the time. :)

I am sorry to hear that.  Once upon a time, it was assumed that everyone could swim.  Maybe not Olympic level, but at least swim to survive.  Our education standards in Australia have really gone down.
They still do swim schools. Our education system hasn't been degraded. It's just a stereotype that every Australian is a good swimmer. We're a fat, lazy nation overall anyway. Also, over half of us are born overseas or at least come from foreign backgrounds. You can't expect every Arab, Assyrian, Indian, Chinese, etc, to be a swimmer in Australia. And just because we're not good swimmers, doesn't mean our education is bad. People are too busy with their phones and video games, I guess...Lol.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:47:37 AM by Neon »

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 04:38:31 AM »
I love being in the water too. This summer has been exceptionally hot (hottest since records began in 1880s). I've been beaches and lakes most of the time. :)
They still do swim schools. Our education system hasn't been degraded. It's just a stereotype that every Australian is a good swimmer. We're a fat, lazy nation overall anyway. Also, over half of us are born overseas or at least come from foreign backgrounds. You can't expect every Arab, Assyrian, Indian, Chinese, etc, to be a swimmer in Australia. And just because we're not good swimmers, doesn't mean our education is bad. People are too busy with their phones and video games, I guess...Lol.

Maybe you misunderstood me.  I was born and raised in Sydney, Australia (despite not living in Sydney since November 1999).  I went to school at Westfields High.  When I was a school student (1978 to 1990), everyone, bar those who had phobias for water, could swim to survive.  It was part of our education curriculum just like studying Maths, Physics and Art.  It was always considered serious business to be able to swim.  Ability to swim was more common than ability to do basic algebra.  My point was that back in the day, this would not be a question you would ask to anyone born or raised in Australia because everyone learned to swim in Australia and it is assumed that everyone can (not just a stereotype but an accepted fact of living in Australia).  I, as a child of the 80s, think it is sad that standards have dropped to the point that it is no longer safe to assume that somebody born and/or raised in Australia can swim, unlike my in my era where everyone merely swam to survive.  If they can't swim, what are they doing when swim classes are on?  Why the hell aren't they in swim class and what could possibly be stopping them from learning to swim aside from hydrophobia?  Education standards have definitely dropped since my day.  Sad to see.

Offline Neon

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 06:48:07 PM »
Maybe you misunderstood me.  I was born and raised in Sydney, Australia (despite not living in Sydney since November 1999).  I went to school at Westfields High.  When I was a school student (1978 to 1990), everyone, bar those who had phobias for water, could swim to survive.  It was part of our education curriculum just like studying Maths, Physics and Art.  It was always considered serious business to be able to swim.  Ability to swim was more common than ability to do basic algebra.  My point was that back in the day, this would not be a question you would ask to anyone born or raised in Australia because everyone learned to swim in Australia and it is assumed that everyone can (not just a stereotype but an accepted fact of living in Australia).  I, as a child of the 80s, think it is sad that standards have dropped to the point that it is no longer safe to assume that somebody born and/or raised in Australia can swim, unlike my in my era where everyone merely swam to survive.  If they can't swim, what are they doing when swim classes are on?  Why the hell aren't they in swim class and what could possibly be stopping them from learning to swim aside from hydrophobia?  Education standards have definitely dropped since my day.  Sad to see.
Yeah, I guess maybe they had a stricter curriculum when it came to swimming back then. In the late 90s and early 2000s, swim schools were compulsory, as I said. Not sure about today.

I have no idea. It could be laziness and perhaps also there are way too many newcomers now who aren't too much into swimming? Not to mention, swimming is very Australian. Foreigners might not be naturally accustomed to it.

I don't think it's hydrophobia per se, because I know many people who enjoy beaches, but they cannot tread water, do backstrokes, etc. They just like to get splashed, cool off and go home.

Want to swim?

Started by AshurienaBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 11
Views: 297
Last post April 12, 2007, 10:58:02 PM
by mechwarrior
International Manhunt For TV Contestant Charged In Swim Model's Gruesome Murder

Started by OnPointBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 5
Views: 241
Last post August 24, 2009, 01:06:06 AM
by jonadona