Author Topic: This is a bit worrying, how is Canada still standing?  (Read 300 times)

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
This is a bit worrying, how is Canada still standing?
« on: October 24, 2017, 05:01:52 AM »
That's a lot for such a religious minority in Canada.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Re: This is a bit worrying, how is Canada still standing?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
That's a lot for such a religious minority in Canada.

Left wingers in the Western world are hoping that being inclusive would make Muslim kids grow up to be secular, is it working? Not sure.

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:24 PM »
Not surprised. I'm pretty sure we have these in Australia too.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:24 PM »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »
Not surprised. I'm pretty sure we have these in Australia too.

which reminds me, Australia seems to be destroying the notion of marriage by making prenups void.

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:16:03 PM »
which reminds me, Australia seems to be destroying the notion of marriage by making prenups void.
Come again?
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Mr. Tambourine Man

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:27:24 AM »

Mind explaining this one?
''An anthropologist squeezed my arm, just for the satisfaction of having touched the flesh and blood of an Assyrian.'' - Ivan Kakovitch

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »
Mind explaining this one?

nasha it's self explanatory, why do prenups exist? Now imagine if the government uses an excuse to nullify all prenups... What do you think is going to happen?

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 11:05:15 PM »
nasha it's self explanatory, why do prenups exist? Now imagine if the government uses an excuse to nullify all prenups... What do you think is going to happen?

Australia has a legal system that makes divorce the absolute last resort often having numerous stipulations and requirements that even allow for a divorce to go through.

A prenup is a legally binding agreement, which isn't mandatory, that outlines how money/assets/property would be distributed in case of a divorce. If anything it supports marriage because it puts the onus on the individuals to truly trust each other.
''An anthropologist squeezed my arm, just for the satisfaction of having touched the flesh and blood of an Assyrian.'' - Ivan Kakovitch

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 11:15:41 PM »
Australia has a legal system that makes divorce the absolute last resort often having numerous stipulations and requirements that even allow for a divorce to go through.

A prenup is a legally binding agreement, which isn't mandatory, that outlines how money/assets/property would be distributed in case of a divorce. If anything it supports marriage because it puts the onus on the individuals to truly trust each other.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/wealth/landmark-high-court-ruling-spells-death-knell-of-prenuptial-agreements-in-australia-experts-say/news-story/0a1ff008a26ddfe50a3421f90053db49

"The decision in Thorne v Kennedy, in which a young Eastern European woman successfully fought to overturn a prenup she signed on the eve of her marriage to a millionaire property developer twice her age, has sent shockwaves through the family law fraternity and could trigger a wave of lawsuits seeking to overturn existing financial agreements.

From a paltry $50,000 she would have been entitled to under the previous agreement, the woman is now set to become a millionaire in her own right.

“Even the lawyers within my team, the young ones, they don’t realise the significance of this yet,” said Slater and Gordon family law expert Heather McKinnon. “It’s really funny. The High Court doesn’t enter our jurisdiction very often — the last [decision] was probably seven or eight years ago — but when it does, it’s significant.”

The landmark case, which has been closely watched by family and commercial lawyers, started way back in 2006 when the then 67-year-old property developer met the 36-year-old woman on a website for potential brides.

Mr Kennedy told Ms Thorne — both pseudonyms, as neither party can be identified in a Family Court case — shortly after they met online, “If I like you I will marry you but you will have to sign paper. My money is for my children.”

Mr Kennedy, a divorcee with three adult children, had assets worth between $18-$24 million, while Ms Thorne had no substantial assets and spoke limited English. Seven months after they met, she moved to Australia to marry Mr Kennedy.

The primary judge noted that Ms Thorne left behind “her life and minimal possessions” and that “if the relationship ended, she would have nothing, no job, no visa, no home, no place, no community”.

Shortly before the wedding, Ms Thorne signed the prenup at the insistence of Mr Kennedy, who threatened to call off the wedding if she did not sign.

That was despite independent legal advice that the agreement was “entirely inappropriate” and the worst her solicitor had ever seen. She then signed another agreement 30 days after the wedding.

Together, the agreements limited her claim to any property settlement to $50,000 after three or more years of marriage. The pair divorced in 2011 after three years of marriage. Ms Thorne took her ex-husband to court in 2012 seeking for the agreements to be overturned.

She sought a property settlement of $1.24 million, including spousal maintenance. Mr Kennedy died in 2014, but his estate continued to fight against Ms Thorne’s bid for a bigger slice of his wealth.

The Federal Circuit Court initially found in favour of Ms Thorne, on the basis that her consent had been negated by way of “undue influence and duress”. Mr Kennedy’s estate appealed to the Full Court of the Family Court of Australia."

Well?

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 12:00:06 AM »
I see your point, fair enough. That case is shocking too.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 02:46:54 AM »
I see your point, fair enough. That case is shocking too.

I wish I wasn't right either, allowing prenups to be null and voided at will stop many men from considering marriage.

Team Canada for Vancouver 2010 as Projected by Damien Cox!

Started by ASHOORBoard Sports

Replies: 5
Views: 1930
Last post February 25, 2006, 01:58:19 AM
by Audacious
Canada

Started by ReneeBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 60
Views: 4301
Last post December 30, 2005, 07:26:51 PM
by Renee
Canada vs Switzerland