Author Topic: People who strongly believe Assyrians should only marry other Assyrians  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
If you believe Assyrians should only date and marry other Assyrians.

Would that be the same thing for a gay or lesbian Assyrian to only marry and date other gay and lesbian Assyrians? if so or not, why?

If you disagree that a gay or a lesbian Assyrian dating other LG Assyrians shouldn't matter, only for straight Assyrians you aren't a homophobe I just want to know what your opinion on this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:53:20 AM by Domanic »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
Re: People who strongly believe Assyrians should only marry other Assyrians
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »
I don't think it matters for gay Assyrians. After all, there are so few openly gay Assyrians. So it will be justified and understandable for gay Assyrians to date or marry non-Assyrians, since our gays are barely out. 
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »
depends, will you have kids? If so, will they learn about their language, heritage, and culture?

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »

Offline ditto755

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »
That notion that Assyrians should only marry other Assyrians is completely lost in my family. I have Uncles, Aunts, and cousins who married outside. The list of people they married includes: Italian, Chinese, Filipino, Romanian, Swedish, Maltese and Canadian. It's actual very unlikely that my cousins and brothers will even marry Assyrian. Actually none of my cousins or brothers have ever dated any Assyrians outside from the cousins who still live in Iraq or were raised there.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
That notion that Assyrians should only marry other Assyrians is completely lost in my family. I have Uncles, Aunts, and cousins who married outside. The list of people they married includes: Italian, Chinese, Filipino, Romanian, Swedish, Maltese and Canadian. It's actual very unlikely that my cousins and brothers will even marry Assyrian. Actually none of my cousins or brothers have ever dated any Assyrians outside from the cousins who still live in Iraq or were raised there.

do they live near other Assyrians?

@Domanic: The whole idea with 'Assyrians only' is that we're trying to preserve our culture and language.

It's obvious that you can preserve your language and culture without having to marry another Assyrian but that's the gist of it.

Thing is though, it doesn't always work.

Best example is my oldest sister who married a total Assyrian guy, well aware of Assyrian culture, language, and he's also a qasha; all of their kids barely know/speak Syriac...

Everytime I try to offer to teach them, they all say 'noooooo'

Offline Cascade

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »
So...they are many more in the closet?  :loool:

I thought you'd know that.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline ditto755

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 07:42:24 PM »

@Domanic: The whole idea with 'Assyrians only' is that we're trying to preserve our culture and language.

It's obvious that you can preserve your language and culture without having to marry another Assyrian but that's the gist of it.

Best example is my oldest sister who married a total Assyrian guy, well aware of Assyrian culture, language, and he's also a qasha; all of their kids barely know/speak Syriac...

A lot of my family live in places with many Assyrians like Sweden and Australia. In places with many Assyrian it's 50/50 when it comes to marrying another Assyrian. I guess at the end of the day they ended up marrying who they like. My Mom would prefer for me to marry Assyrian but she cares more about what the persons nationality is and their religious beliefs. My older brother dated a Polish/Croatian girl for 4 years and she loved her like a daughter. Even after they broke up my mom and her were close. I myself will most likely not marry Assyrian but I could care less about that stuff considering I'm 18.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »

A lot of my family live in places with many Assyrians like Sweden and Australia. In places with many Assyrian it's 50/50 when it comes to marrying another Assyrian. I guess at the end of the day they ended up marrying who they like. My Mom would prefer for me to marry Assyrian but she cares more about what the persons nationality is and their religious beliefs. My older brother dated a Polish/Croatian girl for 4 years and she loved her like a daughter. Even after they broke up my mom and her were close. I myself will most likely not marry Assyrian but I could care less about that stuff considering I'm 18.

It's ok, i'll just say this though:

Marry who you want but let your future kids (assuming you plan to have some) learn our language, culture, and their heritage.

That's what's most important in this. Love is love but heritage is heritage, culture is culture, and language is language. Give each of them where they are due.

Offline Etain

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »

OMG Why wouldn't they want to learn Syriac? I would jump at the oppourtunity if someone wanted to teach me personally.

Offline ins001

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 12:45:43 AM »
OMG Why wouldn't they want to learn Syriac? I would jump at the oppourtunity if someone wanted to teach me personally.
Why? Is it because Jesus spoke the language?

Offline ins001

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 12:49:12 AM »
Maybe it doesn't matter what nationality the partner of the gay/lesbian Assyrian man/woman is, but, it might be important as to who the surrogate would be.

Offline Googoo

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 12:54:14 AM »
I think Assyrians be it, LG or straight should marry whoever they want to but, if they're scared that they will lose their identity then they need to re-consider.

When you marry someone of a different culture,religion and ethnicity - you need to explicitly state what is to be expected if you have kids before you go around and marry that person. Preserving all of the above also depends on where you live i.e. if you live near Assyrians abroad or in the homeland. I will share my experience since I came from a mixed background (Arab, Portuguese, Syrian (aramoye) and even with the arabic, Father is from a mountainous region and they speak a dialect which cannot be understood by Arabs and I had to learn that too)

To learn the language, both parents should speak their language to the kid i.e. Assyrian and Non-Assyrian. For instance, my grandfather spoke Arabic to dad whilst my grandmother spoke Portuguese to him, so he learnt both. He then spoke Portuguese and his dialect to us (and taught us how to read/write after school lol) while mom spoke Arabic - Arabic wouldn't have been an issue since I live in my homeland but Portuguese got preserved because grandparents and parents had an agreement beforehand. It will be easy to teach the language as a spoken language, as for reading the languages - you need to put in double the effort if both of you don't live in the homeland (Say, an Assyrian and a Persian in the states).

To learn the culture, if you're in the homeland then it will be easy but if you're abroad, I suggest not forcing them to go to every Assyrian gathering/wedding/event. For instance, when I studied abroad for my bachelors degree in the UK, there were some clubs/societies for Arabs, I joined it and boy I regretted that decision throughout my 4 years abroad, lol. This is because I realised that middle easterners abroad like to stick to each other and it makes you want to run away from them because they tend to butt their nose in everything, gossip and criticise everything you do. It made me run away from them and other middle easterners too (persians and kurds haha). Anyhow, you need to be careful with this issue, don't underestimate it - you don't want them denying their Assyrian roots and hating everything Assyrian.

To learn the religion, it's quite easy since they will see what their parents' acts/values/prayers. However, I DON'T recommend marriage between different faiths unless you're both non-religious. This is because usually a) one of the parents will convert to the other's religion b) fighting  between the parents themselves over which religion is right (This will certainly come up at one point) c) Kids will tend to favour one religion over the other and that will upset the parents. In rare cases, it can work and kids will choose whatever they feel is right and the parents will be happy that the kids weren't forced into their ways.

I feel like people have become extremes nowadays: 1) Too tolerant and try to compromise 2) Too stubborn and want their way or the highway. If I wanted to preserve the 3 factors above, then I just have to be lucky enough to find 1). 

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »

What's their reasoning? Why don't they want to teach their kids the language?

Offline Joe25

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »
If you look at DNA studies of Assyrians you will see that we've kept our genes intact and didn't mix with others which is amazing considering the areas we've been confined to for thousands of years. Throwing that away by mixing with completely different people is imo a disgrace and another horrible side-effect of the Assyrian diaspora. The disgusting western propaganda of multiculturalism which heavily promotes race-mixing is suicide for any group of people who want to maintain cultural herritage and identity, and I suggest that anybody who cares about being Assyrian simply find another Assyrian spouse. I've only been with my own kind and the girl I'm seeing is east Assyrian like me and our children will be too.

Offline Kelba

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »
The disgusting western propaganda of multiculturalism

ok

Offline Etain

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »
Why? Is it because Jesus spoke the language?
Because it's cool. Besides,if you are being technical Jesus spoke Aramaic,not Syriac.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »
What's their reasoning? Why don't they want to teach their kids the language?

b'allaha Carlo, I have no idea why...

My parents raised all of my siblings and me to know Sureth

My sister and her husband both speak Syriac fluently but, for some reason, they only talk to the kids in English...

Sometimes they speak to them in Sureth so the kids DO have some understanding except for the little sister who knows absolutely no Syriac...

Offline ins001

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 12:31:57 PM »
Because it's cool. Besides,if you are being technical Jesus spoke Aramaic,not Syriac.
Is it just a different dialect?
we speak Neo-Aramaic

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
Is it just a different dialect?
we speak Neo-Aramaic

Neo means "new" aka 'sureth khadta'

Jesus spoke the Jewish dialect of Aramaic which stems from Western Aramaic aka the native dialect of the Aramaeans.

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »

If you're being more technical, Jesus is thought to have spoken "Galilean Aramaic," a Western dialect of Aramaic. "Syriac" is also a dialect of (Eastern) Aramaic, so to say "Syriac vs. Aramaic" as if Syriac is on the same level as Aramaic is rather odd. "Syriac Aramaic" is analogous to "Galilean Aramaic," which are both equally "Aramaic." One is not more "Aramaic-y" than the other. :)

b'allaha Carlo, I have no idea why...

My parents raised all of my siblings and me to know Sureth

My sister and her husband both speak Syriac fluently but, for some reason, they only talk to the kids in English...

Sometimes they speak to them in Sureth so the kids DO have some understanding except for the little sister who knows absolutely no Syriac...

Do me a favour: ask them about it. You said earlier that they say "no" when the subject of teaching them comes up. They're not alone on this, that's I want to know the exact reasoning behind various people's aversion to teaching their kids another language.

Do they know the benefits of bilingualism? Even if they speak a dead or dying language, do they know it helps with cognition and problem solving? Do they know they're making their kids dumber? :)

Tell them to do themselves (and their kids) a favour and just google it: https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=benefits+of+bilingualism

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »

Do me a favour: ask them about it. You said earlier that they say "no" when the subject of teaching them comes up. They're not alone on this, that's I want to know the exact reasoning behind various people's aversion to teaching their kids another language.

Do they know the benefits of bilingualism? Even if they speak a dead or dying language, do they know it helps with cognition and problem solving? Do they know they're making their kids dumber? :)

Tell them to do themselves (and their kids) a favour and just google it: https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=benefits+of+bilingualism

I mean that, when I ask their kids if they want to learn Syriac, the kids just yell no.

as for why, I'll ask when it's possible.

Offline ins001

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 04:49:37 PM »
...do they know it helps with cognition and problem solving? Do they know they're making their kids dumber? :)

It also has very long-term benefits such as delaying dementia later on in life.
There are many studies that support this

Offline Kebabsås

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »
I mean that, when I ask their kids if they want to learn Syriac, the kids just yell no.

How old are they? Because i could understand if they are 5-10 years old.
cyka bläääät

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »
How old are they? Because i could understand if they are 5-10 years old.

one is 16, other is 14-15, and the other is 8-9...

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 10:26:42 AM »

kho leleh bkefeheh? aat laa maakhitla bnonit khaathukh? bikhshaawin eeleh daanit Laalo Kevin mpaaliTlaah chikkelteh!

Negative reinforcement always works. :)

It also has very long-term benefits such as delaying dementia later on in life.
There are many studies that support this

Yup, another excellent reason among many. :)

Offline Cascade

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2016, 02:54:07 AM »
If you're being more technical, Jesus is thought to have spoken "Galilean Aramaic," a Western dialect of Aramaic. "Syriac" is also a dialect of (Eastern) Aramaic, so to say "Syriac vs. Aramaic" as if Syriac is on the same level as Aramaic is rather odd. "Syriac Aramaic" is analogous to "Galilean Aramaic," which are both equally "Aramaic." One is not more "Aramaic-y" than the other. :)
Really agree with this! I get very irked when folks call (Jesus's) western Aramaic "more" Aramaic than ours. Like that Western Neo-Aramaic language for example. So many YouTube comments praising its "purity" when, in fact, it has a lot of Arabic loanwords. Lol

Offline Mr. Tambourine Man

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »
It goes more than preserving our culture, language, religion, tradition, etc.. Although those are of extreme importance, it's also about preserving our genes.

As soon as we branch out and interracial marriage into other ethnicities, we create an offspring of muddled genes - a group of genetically inferior 'Assyrians'.

I agree with Joe25, although this viewpoint may be radical - you've failed your duty as an Assyrian if you've married out of our people.

Assyrians marrying Asians, getting divorces, having half-cast children - it all boils down to maintaining the purity of our rarity.

People like Larsa Younan would get a slap from me.
''An anthropologist squeezed my arm, just for the satisfaction of having touched the flesh and blood of an Assyrian.'' - Ivan Kakovitch

Offline Cascade

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 02:11:44 AM »
Assyrians marrying Asians, getting divorces, having half-cast children - it all boils down to maintaining the purity of our rarity.
I think, Assyrians should marry people of the Mediterranean race, if they don't want to marry those of their ethnicity. Going for an Asian or African is a bit too far.

We had an Iranian Assyrian elderly neighbour. Her son married a Fijian woman, and their family visited our neighborhood. Her children did not even remotely look Assyrian. They easily passed as 100% islanders. We were friends with them though, and they were fun to hang around with. But I never thought of them as "Assyrian", despite being half that.

At Least 12 People Killed (Possibly Assyrians)in Baghdad's Tal Mhamad Area

Started by DiklatBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 8
Views: 1509
Last post October 04, 2006, 07:31:29 PM
by Free_Assyria
Assyrians people

Started by AgaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 16
Views: 1865
Last post January 14, 2007, 11:39:29 PM
by Dan
The IndoAryan Assyrians.......................haha some people have no clue...

Started by RumtayaBoard Culture & History

Replies: 2
Views: 1187
Last post February 05, 2007, 02:41:26 AM
by Tambur
The Forgotten People (Assyrians)

Started by Robert KhnanishoBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 15
Views: 969
Last post May 25, 2007, 04:58:33 AM
by Ronny
The Forgotten People (Assyrians)