Author Topic: Team Canada for Vancouver 2010 as Projected by Damien Cox!  (Read 1930 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Team Canada for Vancouver 2010 as Projected by Damien Cox!
« on: February 24, 2006, 11:26:21 PM »
What do you guys think?

Team Canada: 2010 edition
Projected roster for Canada at the 2010 Olympics, with age as of Jan. 31, 2010

GOAL
Martin Brodeur 37
Roberto Luongo 30
Justin Pogge 23

DEFENCE
Scott Niedermayer 36
Ed Jovanovski 33
Wade Redden 32
Robyn Regehr 29
Jay Bouwmeester 26
Dion Phaneuf 24
Brent Seabrook 24

FORWARDS
Joe Thornton 30
Brad Richards 29
Vincent Lecavalier 29
Jason Spezza 26
Eric Staal 25
Jarome Iginla 32
Jonathan Cheechoo 29
Jeff Carter 25
Sidney Crosby 22
Ryan Smyth 33
Simon Gagne 29
Dany Heatley 29
Rick Nash 25

TAXI SQUAD
Mike Richards (C) 24
Scott Hartnell (LW) 27
Marc Staal (D) 23

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: Team Canada for Vancouver 2010 as Projected by Damien Cox!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:29:18 PM »
How come Bertuzzi is not included?????????????????????????/  :lmao: jk

Here is the article. Very good one as usual from Damien Cox of the Toronto Star. By the way, how good is Mike Richards of the Flyers, he keeps talking about him.

Finding right Canadian hockey players to handle stress no easy job
Feb. 24, 2006. 01:00 AM
DAMIEN COX

TURIN, Italy—The drumbeat is suddenly audible. By 2010, it will be ear-splitting.

The moment the final whistle was sounded to conclude the outrageously intense quarter-final match between Canada and Russia on Wednesday evening at the Torino Esposizioni, the blame game started both here and back in Canada for those stung by being on the losing side.

But soon another process began — figuring out a way to win back that which was lost here: the gold medal; Canadian hockey pride; and, if the Czechs or Swedes end up winning the world's most prestigious hockey title, the IIHF ranking as the No.1 hockey country in the world.

The last issue can be recaptured by success in future world championship tournaments, starting this spring in Latvia.

The pride thing is always tricky, given that we are both arrogant about our ability in the sport and yet super-sensitive and rather Canada-centric, really, about the way in which international hockey works.

We win. We lose. We never make nearly enough about what other countries do and that's part of the reason consistent Olympic success, with club teams, amateur national squads or NHLer, has proved elusive.

Then there's the issue of gold and the possibility of winning it again in Vancouver in four years.

This much is already clear: the screw-up in Turin — losing to the Swiss, horrible on the power play, out by the quarters — means that by the time the XXI Winter Olympiad rolls around, the pressure on Canada to get back on top will be excruciating.

More than any international hockey competition in history, Canadians will desperately desire the men's hockey team to win gold in 2010 at GM Place in Vancouver. More than '72, even?

The stakes were different then, more political than sporting, but yes, probably more than '72.

Quite clearly, this will not be every player's cup of tea. Some pretty prominent Canadian NHLers flopped here under more relaxed circumstances than will be in play for 2010. Canada, run by Wayne Gretzky or somebody else, has four years to figure out who wants in and who would rather be in Jamaica.

In that context, retaining Gretzky at the top becomes increasingly important. Sure, he made bad choices this time, but he made all the right choices in 2002 and for the 2004 World Cup. The man now has a wealth of Olympic experience to draw upon that, really, can't be matched by any other Canadian.

He has lost as a player, won as an executive director, then lost in that role. For these Olympics, he put players in a position to succeed and expand their reputations as Canadians and hockey players, but they failed him. I'm thinking he'll have learned from that experience.

There will be oodles of talented players to choose from, plus a player who by then might be the best in the country, Sidney Crosby. The selection process will be scrutinized 10 times as closely, with constant reference to the choices of '06.

Martin Brodeur, absolutely brilliant in Italy, will be 37. Maybe too old, but then again, maybe not.

Simon Gagne will only be 29, the same age as Vinny Lecavalier and Brad Richards. Eric Staal, a wasted resource this time around, will be 24.

By then, Dion Phaneuf will also be a well-seasoned 24 and most are guessing Philly's Mike Richards will be, by then, the 24-year-old captain of the Flyers.

So there will be talent and youth, of that there is no doubt. But three other areas are far more uncertain:

First, the issue of leadership. Canada lacked it in this tournament, but one of the players off this roster will have to be the captain in Vancouver and others will be required to be a strong supporting cast.

Can Canada count on Jarome Iginla, or Ryan Smyth, or Joe Thornton? Do they really want that kind of responsibility?

Second, the ability to flourish on the big ice has long been a difficult issue for Hockey Canada because NHLers compete on smaller ice surfaces.

Finally, players who want to be on the prestigious 2010 roster will have to be those who embrace the pressure and won't wilt in Olympic heat as some did in Turin. And that heat will be sizzling.

Between now and Vancouver, there are four world championship tournaments, including the first ever in Canada in 2008 when Halifax and Quebec city share the event.

Crosby, presumably, will be there this spring, as might Brent Seabrook, Steve Eminger, Jay McClement and Mark Bell, the kind of young players who might want to be thinking about making a run for 2010 now.

Hockey Canada needs to focus on its roster in precisely that way, concentrating primarily on players likely to be in a position to contribute four years down the road. Which means the Todd Bertuzzi issue need never arise again.

If a player can't perform and handle the challenges of Latvia this year, Russia next year, Canada in '08 and Switzerland the following spring, he won't be of much use in 2010.

Having won Olympic gold once since 1952, it should be overwhelmingly clear to Canadians that winning it again will take enormous effort, desire and smarts. Four years just might be enough time to get the job done — if the work starts right away.

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ultoMa

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:41:24 PM »
OH OH, i see crosby!!!

i definately like this team better, they will win the gold for sure...

i predict 10 goals and 20 assists by crosby alone throughout this tournament.

can't wait!!!

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:41:24 PM »

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:45:24 PM »
Alaha mrakhmana till 2010.

I wanted Crosby in the team now more than in 2010. I know what he plays like now, but I have no idea what he will be in 4 years from now. He could be the second coming of Gretsky, or maybe the second coming of Lindros. Or maybe someone in between.

I think it is too far ahead to project a team, but the list he gave is not bad at all.

By the way, in 2010, John Teveres, the other Canadian phenom kid from the Oshawa Generals will be 19. And if he keeps on imrpoving, we could see him on the team. I hope they learn from Russia's inclusion of a 19 year old Malkin. Regardless of how little need there is for him.

ASHOOR

Offline steelcity_guy19

• Special Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 12:14:21 AM »
What do you guys think?

Team Canada: 2010 edition
Projected roster for Canada at the 2010 Olympics, with age as of Jan. 31, 2010

GOAL
Martin Brodeur 37
Roberto Luongo 30
Justin Pogge 23

DEFENCE
Scott Niedermayer 36
Ed Jovanovski 33
Wade Redden 32
Robyn Regehr 29
Jay Bouwmeester 26
Dion Phaneuf 24
Brent Seabrook 24

FORWARDS
Joe Thornton 30
Brad Richards 29
Vincent Lecavalier 29
Jason Spezza 26
Eric Staal 25
Jarome Iginla 32
Jonathan Cheechoo 29
Jeff Carter 25
Sidney Crosby 22
Ryan Smyth 33
Simon Gagne 29
Dany Heatley 29
Rick Nash 25

TAXI SQUAD
Mike Richards (C) 24
Scott Hartnell (LW) 27
Marc Staal (D) 23

The people i put in bold definitly should not be on the team. And i dont see jeff carter making the team, maybe tazi squad.

Offline Audacious

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 01:58:19 AM »
I don't like Damien Cox but that's another story.....

I don't see Pogge over Fluery or Turco.  Defense looks alright but anything could happen in four years.  Forwards look alright but I see six centres on there, so unless they convert two of them to the wing I don't see all six being on the main squad.  Taxi squad you never know who'll be on it, you might see maybe Lupul, Bergeron, Horton, etc.  They might even surprise and make the main squad.  Maybe see a St. Louis type who breaks onto the scene out of no where and makes his case.  Four years is a long long way.  Anyone can make predictions but they won't be assembling this team until summer 2009. 

Oh yeah, anyone forgetting that there could be a Quebec referendum in a few years?  There could be a team Quebec if they get sovereignty.  No Broduer, Luongo, Lecavalier, Gagne (from Damien Cox's list).

The coolest game on Earth.

Vancouver 2010: USA vs. Canada / Feb 21

Started by ASHOORBoard Sports

Replies: 19
Views: 2278
Last post February 25, 2010, 08:23:43 PM
by R O B I N
team canada mens lose gold medal?

Started by steelcity_guy19Board Sports

Replies: 8
Views: 1133
Last post February 15, 2006, 02:11:27 AM
by steelcity_guy19
SOCCER GAME - Toronto Winged Bulls vs Team Canada Men

Started by TO-ForeverBoard Sports

Replies: 6
Views: 1686
Last post November 10, 2005, 12:51:35 AM
by wingedbull01
SOCCER GAME - Toronto Winged Bulls vs Team Canada Men

Started by TO-ForeverBoard Sports

Replies: 0
Views: 1004
Last post November 04, 2005, 10:48:39 PM
by TO-Forever
Who deserves to make Team Canada at the Olympics?

Started by AudaciousBoard Sports

Replies: 19
Views: 1995
Last post December 11, 2005, 01:57:16 AM
by Audacious