Author Topic: Terrence Malick's 'Song to Song' panned by critics.  (Read 201 times)

Offline TerrenceMalick

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
Terrence Malick's 'Song to Song' panned by critics.
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
Terrence Malick (no, not me!), is an Assyrian-American director. He is quite revered in Hollywood and is often considered one of the greatest and most influential directors of all time. He has been nominated for a number of Oscars and Golden Globes in the past. His films are often critically acclaimed and are considered landmarks in cinema. His 2012 film, The Tree of Life starring Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain, won the Palme d'Or at Cannes in 2012 - the highest honour at the Cannes Film Festival.

However, as of late (perhaps since the release of To the Wonder), Terrence Malick's films have been receiving a mixed or negative reception from critics. His film, Knight of Cups received mixed reviews from critics. More recently, his latest film Song to Song has been universally panned by critics, with critics calling it 'dull', 'boring' and 'embarrasing'. One critic even said it was a "humiliating wreck of a movie." Peter Travers of the Rolling Stone magazine gave it 1 star out of 5.

Conversely, Christopher Hooton of the Independent claimed that it has become a trend in Hollywood to hate on Malick's films as of late, giving his latest film 5 stars and calling it a "masterpiece." In addition, Richard Brody of the New Yorker, who has often praised Malick's films, including To the Wonder and Knight of Cups, called it a "beautiful film."

What do you guys think? Has it become a trend to pan Malick's films as of late? We should not forget this man's oeuvre and his contribution to the art that is cinema. I think it's critics being critics. Although I haven't seen the film, these critics are mainstream critics, who'll basically **** on anything that pushes the envelope. Malick is experimental and his films aren't formulaic. Richard Brody is right when he said that Knight of Cups "challenges Hollywood to do better."

Malick is an artist and always will be!

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
Re: Terrence Malick's 'Song to Song' panned by critics.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
I don't know, but it seems like many critically acclaimed directors of the past seem to be heavily criticized nowadays for not being as good as before (Spielberg, Shyamalan, Ridley Scott, etc). I'm guessing they just naturally lose their charm and originality.

To be fair, Song To Song has 62% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. So it isn't bad.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »
Terrence didn't just direct but he wrote the script to Song to Song. Song to Song wasn't bad but it wasn't good; it was ok.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »

Offline TerrenceMalick

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 05:06:54 AM »
I don't know, but it seems like many critically acclaimed directors of the past seem to be heavily criticized nowadays for not being as good as before (Spielberg, Shyamalan, Ridley Scott, etc). I'm guessing they just naturally lose their charm and originality.

To be fair, Song To Song has 62% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. So it isn't bad.

I agree.

Offline TerrenceMalick

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 05:07:21 AM »
Terrence didn't just direct but he wrote the script to Song to Song. Song to Song wasn't bad but it wasn't good; it was ok.

His writing has often been criticised.

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »
His writing has often been criticised.
I'm guessing he's more of a better director than a screenplay writer, like George Lucas, James Cameroon and Steven Spielberg. ;)
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »
I'm guessing he's more of a better director than a screenplay writer, like George Lucas, James Cameroon and Steven Spielberg. ;)

you can't be everything :) Can you imagine making an entire, professional Hollywood-tier movie all by yourself?

You doing the directing, acting, writing, producing, and editing? Unless you're making a 3D animation and that you can change your voice alot, it's impossible lol

post a song

Started by vanity_fairBoard Classic Threads

Replies: 100
Views: 23414
Last post February 28, 2006, 08:09:24 AM
by vanity_fair
The song thread!! Add a link to ur fav song!

Started by BLUEICEBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 8
Views: 1368
Last post January 18, 2006, 03:01:52 AM
by RadRides
Looking for Sargon Song - Shlami Am Khoobie

Started by deedeeBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 3
Views: 804
Last post March 12, 2006, 10:11:31 PM
by .CaNdLe.
What's the best tribute song? (POST LYRICS)

Started by chaldean86Board Music & Arts

Replies: 4
Views: 1127
Last post March 02, 2006, 06:33:33 PM
by Wigger Will
Need Help finding an Indian/Punjabi song!

Started by ASHOORBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 2
Views: 977
Last post March 08, 2006, 12:47:04 AM
by ASHOOR