Author Topic: The Assyrian Language  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Atour

The Assyrian Language
« on: December 17, 2005, 10:46:16 AM »
Do you know how to read and write the Assyrian Language? If yes, where and when did you learn it? If no, would you like to learn it, and do you think it’s necessary to know how to read and write it?

To answer my own questions: Yes, I do know how to read and write it. My mom taught me when I was very young.
I firmly believe that a language is part of a nations identity. If we lose the language, we lose part of ourselves. I will definately teach it to my kids.

The Lord is my light and my salvation; so why should I be afraid? The Lord protects me from danger; so why should I tremble? .. For he will conceal me there when troubles come; he will hide me in his sanctuary. He will place me out of reach on a high rock. Ps 27:1,5

Offline RateAssyrians

• Me
    • My Atournet
The Assyrian Language
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »
Qasha Gewargis of Mar Andrious (St. Andrews) of Chicago tought me... every monday(except for holidays) for an hour...

I stopped going once i started working :pcpunch:

ܐܵܢܵܐ ܫܸܡܝܼ ܝܼܠܐ ܐܹܕܒܼܢ
YOU CAN TAKE GOD’S HOME FROM US, BUT YOU CAN’T TAKE GOD FROM OUR HOMES!!!
http://my.atournet.com/AtourNet/A2raya07

Offline Atour

The Assyrian Language
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 10:21:47 AM »
Quote from: RateAssyrians
Qasha Gewargis of Mar Andrious (St. Andrews) of Chicago tought me... every monday(except for holidays) for an hour... I stopped going once i started working :pcpunch: ܐܵܢܵܐ ܫܸܡܝܼ ܝܼܠܐ ܐܹܕܒܼܢ

Would you like to see your kids learn it too? (I mean people argue that it's a dead language; so what's the point)
The Lord is my light and my salvation; so why should I be afraid? The Lord protects me from danger; so why should I tremble? .. For he will conceal me there when troubles come; he will hide me in his sanctuary. He will place me out of reach on a high rock. Ps 27:1,5

Assyrian Voice Forum

The Assyrian Language
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 10:21:47 AM »

Offline MalekthaA2RETA

The Assyrian Language
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 11:45:44 AM »
I attended assyrian school as a youth at northeastern university in Chicago.  Rabi Youel was my teacher.  I learned how to read and write the alphabet and speak assyrian.  I'm sorry to say, I no longer know how to write, but I have my name written in gold and I wear it as a charm :)  My husband can't read or write our language only speak it.  I can only understand it and can't speak it fluently.  We will pass on as much as humanly possible although finding a school where we live currently is impossible.  Thank God it's on the internet and they may need to learn that way.  I will try to learn as much beforehand to guide and encourage them as much as possible.

Offline RateAssyrians

• Me
    • My Atournet
The Assyrian Language
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 01:23:39 PM »
Quote from: Atour
Quote from: RateAssyrians
Qasha Gewargis of Mar Andrious (St. Andrews) of Chicago tought me... every monday(except for holidays) for an hour... I stopped going once i started working :pcpunch: ܐܵܢܵܐ ܫܸܡܝܼ ܝܼܠܐ ܐܹܕܒܼܢ

Would you like to see your kids learn it too? (I mean people argue that it's a dead language; so what's the point)

ofcourse i would want my kids to learn it to... our ancestors have kept the language alive for more then 1000's of years... i dont want that to die out... no matter where i live or who i get married to, my kids are going to speak assyrian at home and hopefully also at school
YOU CAN TAKE GOD’S HOME FROM US, BUT YOU CAN’T TAKE GOD FROM OUR HOMES!!!
http://my.atournet.com/AtourNet/A2raya07

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
Re: The Assyrian Language
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »
I can only read  madnhaya script, because that's what they taught us in Assyrian school (we used to attend once week in primary school). I'm far perfect and I need improvement. I don't read Assyrian quickly. It takes time to finish a sentence and I can get stuck. But I am not bad.

Estrangela is completely unintelligible to me. It's almost like a different script system.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Assyrian language

Started by BraTeiLBoard Culture & History

Replies: 2
Views: 1181
Last post January 24, 2006, 07:06:28 PM
by BraTeiL
mostly used letters in the assyrian language

Started by DaggoBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 14
Views: 1526
Last post October 25, 2016, 10:58:45 PM
by Cascade