Author Topic: Assyrian translation to these Names?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Român

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
Assyrian translation to these Names?
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »
Hey guys I'm looking for a translation to these boy names as to how it is pronounced and written in Eastern Assyrian and Script.

1) Mark

2) John

3) Erick

4) Luke

5) Sebastian

6) Joshua

7) Alexander

8) Daniel

9) Ezra

10) Elijah

Thank you so much!

An ethnic Romanian learning Assyrian

Online mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Re: Assyrian translation to these Names?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »
too easy (for me) :3

1) Mark - ܡܪܩܘܣ - marqos

2) John - ܝܘܚܢܐ - YoHHanna

3) Erick - ܐܪܝܩ - ereeq

4) Luke - ܠܘܩܘܣ - luqos or loqa

5) Sebastian - Sebastian means "From Sebaste" which is now known todays as Sivas - ܣܒܣܝܐ - sabasaya or sawasaya

6) Joshua - ܝܫܘܥ - Yeshu'ah

7) Alexander - ܐܠܟܢܕܪܘܣ - alekandrus

8) Daniel - ܕܢܝܐܠ - dani-el - "God is my Judge"

9) Ezra - ܥܙܪܐ - 'ezra

10) Elijah - ܐܠܝܐ - el-yah - "god is Yahweh"

Offline Român

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »
Thank you so much! @mrzurnaci
An ethnic Romanian learning Assyrian

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »

Online mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 12:14:00 AM »
Thank you so much! @mrzurnaci

no probz \( ͡^ ͜ʖ ͡^)/

Offline Neon

• Try and fail, but never fail to try.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:21:34 AM »
too easy (for me) :3

1) Mark - ܡܪܩܘܣ - marqos

2) John - ܝܘܚܢܐ - YoHHanna

3) Erick - ܐܪܝܩ - ereeq

4) Luke - ܠܘܩܘܣ - luqos or loqa

5) Sebastian - Sebastian means "From Sebaste" which is now known todays as Sivas - ܣܒܣܝܐ - sabasaya or sawasaya

6) Joshua - ܝܫܘܥ - Yeshu'ah

7) Alexander - ܐܠܟܢܕܪܘܣ - alekandrus

8) Daniel - ܕܢܝܐܠ - dani-el - "God is my Judge"

9) Ezra - ܥܙܪܐ - 'ezra

10) Elijah - ܐܠܝܐ - el-yah - "god is Yahweh"
You-KH-ana is more common though.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
You-KH-ana is more common though.

Not really. Don't Chaldeans make up the majority of Eastern dialect speakers? Anyway, the same letter is used regardless of pronunciation, so it doesn't matter. :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:39:06 AM by Carlo »

Offline Neon

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:35:24 PM »
Not really. Don't Chaldeans make up the majority of Eastern dialect speakers? Anyway, the same letter is used regardless of pronunciation, so it doesn't matter. :)
Chaldeans make up the majority? I didn't know that. I always thought there are a equal amount of Chaldeans and Assyrians. Either way, a good number of Chaldeans have been "assimilated" into speaking Assyrian Neo-Aramaic. For instance, they wouldn't say the guttural H sounds or typical "Chaldean" words ("mah-koyeh", "randa", "keba", etc). We had a few Chaldean neighbors and they spoke in Assyrian Neo-Aramaic. They didn't sound like those with the Alqosh or Zakho accents (and these people even came from those villages).

And Lol since when is Assyrian based on Latin script? I'm sure you can write the "kh" sound any way you want. Some even use "ch" and "x" for the "kh" sound. Where I'm from, every Youkhana having a "kh" sound would write it with the letters K and H. So if I write "boqta" as "bookta" (doll), you can't come and say "hey, you misspelled that word"... :mrgreen: There are no rules on how you write an Assyrian name or word in the Latin script.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 09:52:54 PM by Neon »
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Online mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 08:55:59 PM »

And Lol since when is Assyrian based on Latin script? I'm sure you can write the "kh" sound any way you want. Some even use "ch" and "x" for the "kh" sound. Where I'm from, every Youkhana having a "kh" sound would write it with the letters K and H. So if I write "boqta" as "bookta" (doll), you can't come and say "hey, you misspelled that word"... :mrgreen: There are no rules on how you write an Assyrian name or word in the Latin script.

That's because there's no standardization on NORMAL Latin script.

According to Wikipedia, the "kh" sound is represented OFFICIALLY by the "x", "ḫ", or "ḵ" letter (take your pick lol). Basically the same as how it's used in Azerbaijani, Kurdish, Lojban, Tatar, Uzbek, Pashto and Latin writing Uyghur.

for the REAL sound that HHeth is supposed to represent, the official letters are "ḥ" or "ħ".

These letters/glyphs are official by the IPA or International Phonetic Alphabet.

Offline Neon

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 09:52:13 PM »
That's because there's no standardization on NORMAL Latin script.

According to Wikipedia, the "kh" sound is represented OFFICIALLY by the "x", "ḫ", or "ḵ" letter (take your pick lol). Basically the same as how it's used in Azerbaijani, Kurdish, Lojban, Tatar, Uzbek, Pashto and Latin writing Uyghur.

for the REAL sound that HHeth is supposed to represent, the official letters are "ḥ" or "ħ".

These letters/glyphs are official by the IPA or International Phonetic Alphabet.
I know about the IPA. They all have one phonetic "spelling". I was generally talking about normal Latin spelling of Assyrians words, and that they don't always have to be spelled the same. For instance, some Assyrians spell father like "bab" and others like "bob" - the latter spelling cringes me to the core btw. Lol...

Btw, there's also a upper case X for the "kh" sound btw. I can't distinguish it much from the lower case x sound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_velar_fricative
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_uvular_fricative
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 09:55:33 PM by Neon »

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »

I was referring to the Syriac spelling of the name "John." Regardless of how you pronounce it, in Syriac it's spelled with the single letter "ܚ."

(Side-note on your transliteration scheme regarding "q/k": please transliterate the Assyrian Neo-Aramaic words for "lightning" and "knee." :))

Offline Neon

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 06:58:03 PM »
I was referring to the Syriac spelling of the name "John." Regardless of how you pronounce it, in Syriac it's spelled with the single letter "ܚ."

(Side-note on your transliteration scheme regarding "q/k": please transliterate the Assyrian Neo-Aramaic words for "lightning" and "knee." :))
Lightning: Birqa
Knee: Birka

Though Urmians soften the Q in birqa (light) where it will sound like birka, thus it will be a homophone.

I know what you mean. But it seems like, only phonetically, Q and K sound distinct, but in "normal" English spelling they don't. For instance, "queue" and "cute" both start with a "k" in phonetics.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:12:19 PM by Neon »

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 11:39:40 AM »
Lightning: Birqa
Knee: Birka

Though Urmians soften the Q in birqa (light) where it will sound like birka, thus it will be a homophone.

I know what you mean. But it seems like, only phonetically, Q and K sound distinct, but in "normal" English spelling they don't. For instance, "queue" and "cute" both start with a "k" in phonetics.

So when you say "bookta," the "k" is like the "k" in "birka" and not the "q" in "birqa?"

Offline Neon

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
So when you say "bookta," the "k" is like the "k" in "birka" and not the "q" in "birqa?"
I personally say it with a Q in "birqa". However, my Urmian side of the family mostly use the "k" sound.

Popular Assyrian Family Names!

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 51
Views: 3813
Last post January 02, 2006, 01:00:57 AM
by ASHOOR
Will you be giving your children Assyrian names?

Started by AudaciousBoard Classic Threads

Replies: 86
Views: 37170
Last post January 17, 2006, 07:52:38 PM
by BuNzZz
Assyrian Names

Started by chaldeanBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 34
Views: 2463
Last post January 19, 2006, 04:30:25 AM
by BLUEICE
Assyrian weekday names

Started by SalemBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 3
Views: 1852
Last post November 12, 2005, 07:09:01 AM
by Uneek
Coolest Assyrian Last names that you have Heard?

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 76
Views: 4284
Last post September 12, 2006, 03:51:58 PM
by atourina