Author Topic: Should we implement the Latin alphabet for Assyrian?  (Read 1767 times)

Online Mr. Tambourine Man

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
Re: Should we implement the Latin alphabet for Assyrian?
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
Aramaic shouldn't be ditched in terms of writing and reading but for the sake of propagating the language, I think adopting Latin script would be prudent. Additionally, it's not like by doing so we automatically forfeit the learning of our native script, but just bearing in mind how children born in the diaspora are opting to learn the language of the land, it makes it hard for even our speech to proliferate.

It's easier this way and a formal and official means of writing in this script should be legitimised and utilised, so that we can push our language - the learning of our native script should not be neglected though.
''An anthropologist squeezed my arm, just for the satisfaction of having touched the flesh and blood of an Assyrian.'' - Ivan Kakovitch

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
Aramaic shouldn't be ditched in terms of writing and reading but for the sake of propagating the language, I think adopting Latin script would be prudent. Additionally, it's not like by doing so we automatically forfeit the learning of our native script, but just bearing in mind how children born in the diaspora are opting to learn the language of the land, it makes it hard for even our speech to proliferate.

It's easier this way and a formal and official means of writing in this script should be legitimised and utilised, so that we can push our language - the learning of our native script should not be neglected though.

If that's the case, I've already done that though. My Syriac diagram chart uses Latin letters to explain the sound each letter makes.

Offline Neon

• Try and fail, but never fail to try.
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
so saying sorry/excuse me throws a whole wrench into the grammar? Still not adopting latin though.
What the hell does "sorry/excuse me" have to do with not wanting the Latin alphabet? Instead of bringing up the Latin excuse (which had nothing to do with what we were just talking about Lmao), just admit that you made a mistake with these words. Look, you need more grammatical practice. It seems, you probably just know more Syriac words than the average guy (thanks to your dictionary), but you can't put them properly in a sentence.

And if you're so against the Latin script, why did you incorporate Latin letters into that chart of yours?
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »

Offline Neon

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »

I agree with this. And that was my point. I do not want the Syriac script to be "replaced". I just want Latin, since it's so convenient and widely used, to be an alternative for us to communicate with each other. It can keep the language alive.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 02:29:45 AM »
you're so against the Latin script, why did you incorporate Latin letters into that chart of yours?
Not against Latin, I'm against using it to write our alphabet.
secondly, I put it in the chart to explain what sound each letter makes/uses.

Which reminds me to ask, have you made a large print of my chart yet to hang up on your wall? :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:30:24 AM by mrzurnaci »

Offline Neon

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 04:07:19 AM »
Not against Latin, I'm against using it to write our alphabet.
secondly, I put it in the chart to explain what sound each letter makes/uses.

Which reminds me to ask, have you made a large print of my chart yet to hang up on your wall? :)
Ah, so you can see that you'll still (inadvertently) rely on the English alphabet, regardless of what you think of it. ;)

I have your diagram saved in my hard drive. I've even added it in some Wiki articles regarding Assyrian and Syriac. As you can see, I was never really against the Syriac script.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:11:18 AM by Neon »

OLD ASSYRIAN ALPHABET

Started by UneekBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 1
Views: 371
Last post September 30, 2007, 06:02:00 AM
by Anitaaaaaaaaaa
Roots of Latin & Latin influenced languages = Assyrian ?

Started by ZawoyoBoard Culture & History

Replies: 37
Views: 2302
Last post Yesterday at 10:00:49 PM
by Neon
Assyrian Alphabet

Started by UnityBoard Assyrian Language Center

Replies: 26
Views: 3160
Last post May 01, 2017, 08:16:50 PM
by Neon
Wanted: Assyrian Alphabet Puzzle