Author Topic: **Bible Studies** Week One  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Renee

• Summer lovin', had me a blast
**Bible Studies** Week One
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:19:33 PM »
Ok guys let's not discuss this to death, Assyrians are famous for procrastinating and talking everything to a stalemate.

Let me know what chapter you want to discuss this first week and I will update the topic heading

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 08:31:52 PM »
There are a lot of different ways to run a study.  We can do it topically, or chapter by chapter/ verse by verse.

I think we definitely need someone to moderate it specifically as well.
Rom 8:28  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Offline Renee

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:35:58 PM »
I think it will be difficult to do, but perhaps petervocals who is a mod in this forum can keep an eye out. As for choosing topics and what have you, administering the study, I nominate you John  :mrgreen:

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:35:58 PM »

Offline sydneydude

• Mid-Level Member
  • making no mistakes determines certain victory
    • http://myspace.com/peteresho
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 08:36:44 PM »
guys im going to talk to ashoor about the best way to start this...lets just be a bit patient...we can all discuss different opinions on how it should work here and ashoor can come up with the final product. we want to make sure it is structured and planned, so any suggestions on plan/structure will be greatly appreciated here.

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »
:)

Is that what I get for opening my mouth?
Rom 8:28  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Offline sydneydude

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:39:11 PM »
hahaha john ur the man

Offline Renee

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:39:33 PM »
LOL I would have thought you would have liked that role lol

ok cool Peter...

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:41:37 PM »
Sounds good John.  

On a serious note.  I would have no problem in assisting with this.  I would like to say from the onset though that I am not a member of the Orthodox or Catholic church.  I am a solidly reformed Presbyterian.  There are MANY doctrinal issues on which we will disagree.  While I am certainly looking forward to contributing, I don't know if you want me to lead in this forum with my feelings towards Rome.

That all being said, any help that is needed, I am more then happy to offer.

Offline BraTeiL

• Mid-Level Member
  • Benjamin!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 08:43:41 PM »
Quote from: John_5_24
Sounds good John.  

On a serious note.  I would have no problem in assisting with this.  I would like to say from the onset though that I am not a member of the Orthodox or Catholic church.  I am a solidly reformed Presbyterian.  There are MANY doctrinal issues on which we will disagree.  While I am certainly looking forward to contributing, I don't know if you want me to lead in this forum with my feelings towards Rome.

That all being said, any help that is needed, I am more then happy to offer.

what's that? is that something like protestant?  :blush:
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »
I am a protestant in the purest sense.  I started out Catholic, and now am not :)

Offline BraTeiL

• Mid-Level Member
  • Benjamin!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 08:48:15 PM »
oke . thanx for explaining:)
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.

Offline Senator_Danavi

• Exposing Treason, Oppresion & Defamation
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 08:54:18 PM »
We are all brothers in Christ.  That is, my friends, the most important identity we have.

One thing that I love about the Church of the East Rites is the slogan of John 17:21 "That They May Be One"

As Mar Bawai Soro says, the walls that we built (denominations) are all man-made.  Being a brother in Christ divided by some of these walls is no way an exception to not be accepted.   :bigarmhug:  

I say we discuss the lineage of Christ in Matthew and the many meanings it has.  I think that would be a good way to start????  I mean once Ashoor has everything set-up of course.

Offline sydneydude

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 08:57:11 PM »
Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

we're all one body of believers!

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:58:21 PM »
It would certainly be an interesting way to study His humanity.

As far as united in one.  I agree with you to an extent, but no church which tries to steal the glory and praise of God for itself should be honored in my opinion.

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »
By the way, I am speaking to the institution and not neccesarily about the lay people.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 10:01:23 PM »
Bible Study? wow sounds like a very good idea. In fact, Michi talked to me about it, even though I never took it seriously. I will see how this goes and we may very well open a special forum, for it.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 11:02:28 PM »
I would love to have one of those moderating it, but I think Michi has long wanted to be the one, but nothing is for sure yet.

I just know, something like this is something we deeply need at these critical times of this world.

God bless you guys.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Senan

• Mid-Level Member
Re: **Bible Studies** Week One
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 11:11:12 PM »
Quote from: Renee
Ok guys let's not discuss this to death, Assyrians are famous for procrastinating and talking everything to a stalemate.

Let me know what chapter you want to discuss this first week and I will update the topic heading

HOW ABOUT each week we discuss one of jesus's parables??

Offline petervocals

• Assyrian Aid
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 01:53:29 AM »
lets get something started.  Senalko you look like an 'aboona' in that picture of yours with that hat.
Please read the announcement

Offline babylonx

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 03:16:18 AM »
Why didn't Jesus preach until he reached the age of 30??

Offline Renee

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 04:16:24 AM »
Quote from: babylonx

To get to the other side?

Offline BroonitBeita

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 05:53:56 AM »

in Israel, you had to be thirty years of age before you served in the house of the Lord, even priesthood.

no matter from what tribe, to perform service for the Lord's temple you had to be thirty years of age.

To get to the other side?

thats in really poor taste, sorry.  i hope this isnt what you intend when you suggest to have Bible studies

Offline Renee

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 06:04:57 AM »
I did not know the answer to that question so I made a light hearted joke. The times I have attended a bible study, humour was welcome from time to time.

I'm human, I'm 3 dimensional, I can joke and I can be serious. I refuse to be serious all the time, it's a good recipe for depression. If that's how you choose to be, that's your choice. It's not mine.

JohnSydney

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »
how about you start with 'finding strength in faith and remaining there' or 'staying strong in faith' something like that

i think its important anyways, for all of us, especially in these trying times

just a though

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 09:13:41 PM »
Quote from: ASHOOR
I would love to have one of those moderating it, but I think Michi has long wanted to be the one, but nothing is for sure yet.

I just know, something like this is something we deeply need at these critical times of this world.

God bless you guys.

ASHOOR

Forgive my ignorance, but is Michi a man or woman?

Offline Uneek

re
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2006, 10:06:51 PM »
OMG that's such a good idea (bible study)  :mrgreen:
What you think about me is your opinion, what you know about me is what people say, and what you think you know about me isn’t me at all.
Author: I DUNNO!

Offline Nat927

• Hallowww....
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 05:31:19 PM »
this is great! Michi and I had talked about this a while ago! im really looking forward for bible study
"Kishmishe kishmish bala bayen'ah"

Offline Senator_Danavi

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 10:05:27 PM »
Quote from: Senalko
He is a Guy John....very decent and spiritual kinda of guy... the type that we like :)

I am really desperate for ashoor to act Quick....We were blessed to have a religion Forum to preach the words of our Lord, but now its being taken by Church issues.....

everyone needs to ask for forgivness and be forgiving, we need to move forward , put christ in the centre of our lives, and let him judge and condemn all who were wrong :)

Senalko,

You have been a voice of pure reason and Christological thought.  However, it is very important for us, COE members, to fix and reform our church in order for us and the next generation to fully benefit from its glorious light.  Just like how the epiphany of our faith through the GOOD WORD of the New Testament included holy chapters on St. Paul's instructions/advice/reform on regards to the Church in Corinth, so must we, as followers of Christ, spend time improving our church and bringing back SHRARA and the primal Christian mission.

Reforming a church is a definite Christian mission and let us never doubt or cast aside such a scripture promoted responsibility.

This is not something that should be shrugged off.  This is the reason why I inform all readers, continuously, that we should never subside to apathy and forget the words of our Holy Apostles.

For how would Jesus react to us if we just ignored the Holy Church of the East and allow it to swim in ambiguous waters???

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 10:36:32 PM »
Senator, I am in almost complete agreement with you, but would like to make one point.

When someone has done wrong, are we not to confront them?  And if they do not repent, then confront them again with two or three witnesses?  If, even then, they do not repent, we are told to put them out of the church.  If those who are in the wrong and not repenting are the actual heads of a earthly congregation, are you not to then leave the heretics?  Didn't Jesus himself tell his disciples to shake the dust off their sandals of any city which would not receive the Gospel and the Good News of Jesus?  While I do believe that every effort should be made, the true church does not reside in the COE, or Rome, or any particular denomination.  The true church is all true believers united in Christ.  Those are whom we are all pledged to.  If the leaders of the COE refuse to change, why should you continue to pledge your loyalty to them?

Offline Senator_Danavi

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2006, 03:37:48 AM »
ho·ly   Audio pronunciation of "holy" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (hl)
adj. ho·li·er, ho·li·est

1. Belonging to, derived from, or associated with a divine power; sacred.
   2. Regarded with or worthy of worship or veneration; revered: a holy book.
   3. Living according to a strict or highly moral religious or spiritual system; saintly: a holy person.
   4. Specified or set apart for a religious purpose: a holy place.
   5. Solemnly undertaken; sacrosanct: a holy pledge.
   6. Regarded as deserving special respect or reverence: The pursuit of peace is our holiest quest.

According to definition 1, it is more than fitting to call the 12 disciples HOLY since they were proven to be directly associated and belonging to the divinity and humanity of Christ and also for their personal contribution via the Holy Spirit to the Holy Bible.

The Church also is Holy from definition 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.  Since it is associated as the House of God where all are free to worship and congregate.  I also am in full agreement with you regarding the members.  If you breakdown/decipher the Aramaic language you will discover that we have two distinct words; Omra and Eeta.  Omra literally means the Church building, however Eeta means the Church as the spiritual aspect which predominately defines to all faithful members (living and those who have passed on).  When we say Church of the East, it isn't Omra of the East, but Eeta of the East.

Eeta d'Mudenkha (Church of the East)!  So even by your definition of Holy, this would satisfy and advocate such a title.

Mar Bawai Soro is not the reason of our message and mission.  He is solely our spokesperson and leader.  He is a Bishop who shares our mission for centering Christ and releaving some of our "human" and restraining traditions.  Unity and Reform of churches have been occuring before Mar Bawai Soro and will after him.  This is nothing of just a leadership swap, but focusing more on saving the EETA of the East and putting it in the right direction with the right person.  However, we are still happy and will retain certain traditions that do not cast aside and blur the primal mission of Christ.  

God Bless

bible study: the old testiment (week one)

Started by sydneydudeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 1
Views: 881
Last post February 03, 2006, 08:28:18 PM
by John_5_24
Bible Studies Interviews

Started by Robert KhnanishoBoard Culture & History

Replies: 5
Views: 936
Last post May 05, 2006, 09:59:06 PM
by Claridy
Bible Studies ( 1) : The Being of GOD