Author Topic: World Youth Week - Sydney 2008  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Knight

• Ultimate Member
  • Knight & JooJee
World Youth Week - Sydney 2008
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »
Hello people,
For the first time, the WYD (World Youth Day) is being held in Sydney in 2008, July 15-20...

For those who don't know, this is an event for youth all over the world. It is a spiritual journey that lasts a week and it involves spending 1 day with the Pope.

You will spend time with people your age from every country on Earth, yes, including Iraq....

I will be going with my church Youth Group, I was wondering if anyone else is going? It might be good to catch up with a lot of you there!

"The moral and religious system which Jesus Christ transmitted to us is the best the world has ever seen, or can see." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline JooJee

• Down to ride till the very end..
Re: World Youth Week - Sydney 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
im going :D
When the world seems to shine, like you've had too much wine...that's Amore... <3

Offline Knight

• Ultimate Member
  • Knight & JooJee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »
"The moral and religious system which Jesus Christ transmitted to us is the best the world has ever seen, or can see." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline DaNoOsHi

• www.atehmeniet.com.au
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:51:54 AM »
it would b nice to goo but prob is im not a churchie person

n all those jebus ppl and those scary hillsong ppl no thanks im gona pass
Come break me down
Bury Me Bury Me
I am finished with you....

What if i wanted to fight
Beg for the rest of my life
what would you do?

Offline [EDV 11N]

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:10:05 AM »
I want to go and take my Assyrian flag with me  :) it be good to go as a group, i'm hoping they'll be one or two assyrian youth group camps there
The best of men are but men at best
(Persian Proverb)

Offline Knight

• Ultimate Member
  • Knight & JooJee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 04:52:04 AM »
I want to go and take my Assyrian flag with me  :) it be good to go as a group, i'm hoping they'll be one or two assyrian youth group camps there

Yeah...u'll probably get coverage 2 if u have many flags!

Offline JooJee

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 05:36:35 AM »

LOLOL even though its a CHRISTIAN event and not just representing the catholics i doubt there are going to be many...if any hillsong people there. But have you noticed that there are so many hillsong church memebers...i didnt even know there were that many until i started uni 2 years ago LOLOL
When the world seems to shine, like you've had too much wine...that's Amore... <3

Offline Anitaaaaaaaaaa

• Khilyashurayeh till death!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 05:41:36 AM »
When is it?
Brazil ☆ Brazil ☆ Brazil ☆ Brazil ☆  Brazil ☆

Offline RadRides

• Special Member
  • bar-b-que-nin king
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »

I doubt "jebus" people bite.  But hey, I'm sure you won't be missed.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 07:14:03 AM by RadRides »

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »
Knight, I am glad you posted about this.

Guys, this is a major major event, and we as Assyrians have to show our presence and in full force. You guys should form big groups and go, showcasing our Assyrian flags with you.

In 2002, it was held here in Toronto, and it was one hell of an event. We got to see the Pope then. I will never forget it. We had our flag everywhere we went, and we got to meet Assyrians from other places. It was so nice.

In 2005 it was held in Germany, but I was very disappointed, because I didn't see any significant Assyrian presence (at least none that I know of)

This year, and being in Sydney, we have a great opporitunity to show ourselvs.

I will be covering this event more on our home page to raise awareness amongst Assyrians in Australia so they can take part in this.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Knight

• Ultimate Member
  • Knight & JooJee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 03:59:52 PM »
Knight, I am glad you posted about this.

Guys, this is a major major event, and we as Assyrians have to show our presence and in full force. You guys should form big groups and go, showcasing our Assyrian flags with you.

In 2002, it was held here in Toronto, and it was one hell of an event. We got to see the Pope then. I will never forget it. We had our flag everywhere we went, and we got to meet Assyrians from other places. It was so nice.

In 2005 it was held in Germany, but I was very disappointed, because I didn't see any significant Assyrian presence (at least none that I know of)

This year, and being in Sydney, we have a great opporitunity to show ourselvs.

I will be covering this event more on our home page to raise awareness amongst Assyrians in Australia so they can take part in this.

ASHOOR

Ur a Champ Ashoor.... as you said, we need to make our presence felt, plus, it's a good chance to meet other Assyrians/Chaldean/Suryoyo ....maybe future husbands and wives  :giggle:

Offline Dalida

• Golden Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »
When it was held here in Toronto i went to downtown almost everyday and it was an amazing experience and i think all of you who live in Sydney should attend. It is not only for the Catholics ..all Christians will appreciate the meaning of the week and what it means to be a Christian. I met so many people from all parts of the world and it was nice talking to them about our faith.
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
-Mother Teresa

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. -Phillip ****

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »
YES i am Going for sure.. an event not to be missed...I have to preach to all my Catholic brothers including the pope that Jesus is the only way to Heaven & that unless they are born again, they cant enter it  :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Catholics aren't allowed in heaven?  :blink:
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Offline DaNoOsHi

• www.atehmeniet.com.au
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 02:53:28 AM »
LOLOL even though its a CHRISTIAN event and not just representing the catholics i doubt there are going to be many...if any hillsong people there. But have you noticed that there are so many hillsong church memebers...i didnt even know there were that many until i started uni 2 years ago LOLOL

yer man theres heaps my whole grade in skool was hillsong but becareful they try n convert u!!!!!
Come break me down
Bury Me Bury Me
I am finished with you....

What if i wanted to fight
Beg for the rest of my life
what would you do?

Offline Knight

• Ultimate Member
  • Knight & JooJee
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
Convert you into what? all they do is preach about Jesus. if thats meant to be scary stuff, then i dont know what is normal in the standards of this World.

for someone who is seeking the truth & the meaning of humanity, you should give God & Christianity a thought, u will find a lot of truth in there  :loool: :loool:

Impressive bro!

That's our problem as Suraye, we think everyone wants to convert us!
And we talk about those who go to other churches to get more than just a routine mass that half the population doesn't understand.....seriously, we need more spiritual activity in life!

Offline RadRides

• Special Member
  • bar-b-que-nin king
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 06:07:19 AM »

The chaldean church in Toronto offers bible studies there and a lot about spirituality. We do know that Jesus is the only way to Heaven and have to be born again it's all the bible.  They don't preach anything different than that to us. Everybody against catholics lol

So true.  Many are taught to think that Apostolic churches are wrong, incorrect, and invalid because they use traditions and other means by which to preach and seek salvation.  Totally false.  By the way, non denominational churches use the same Bible approved by the Council of Nicea, go figure. 

Offline PandaBear

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 06:15:15 AM »
I am from Sydney, I might go too :)

Offline RadRides

• Special Member
  • bar-b-que-nin king
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »

well its one thing to use Traditions to preach the word of God, but  totally another to replace it with.

That truly reflects upon the majority of people who attend the church. they also treat their faith as a Tradition. ( 75% of them show up in Easter & Christmas whilst only 25% make up the true Believers )

Traditions & Spiritual Growth do not work together. its that simple. You can draw a Graph and see that the more Traditions increases, Spiritual Growth will decrease & Visa versa.

I do agree some take it as a chore, but that's common with all denominations.  You can't just pinpoint one thing and assume it's incorrect.  Either way, I don't want to argue.  I should be more respectful and you are my brother regardless of your ideas towards other denominations. 

Offline RadRides

• Special Member
  • bar-b-que-nin king
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 08:03:49 PM »

well Aziza, i have always used the bible in the past to pin point how some Denominations use some Traditions or beliefs that were not taught in the bible. The Problem is, when i gotten into discussions with some Traditional priests and even Bishops in my area, they do not even consider the Bible as the Only True word of GOD, but insist that the Bible is just one mean of the religion, but what matters most were the teachings of the church fathers and the laws they introduced to us which must be followed strictly.

Traditions themselves are not wrong. they are harmless to some extent & if they are used in the right way to consolidate the main objective of the entire faith ( ie-Jesus Christ).

Agreed, but theology is another way to "enhance" your faith.  The Bible is the ultimate source for spiritual life, much like water is the ultimate source for physical life, but other sources can be used to aid in living, one of them is theology.  I assume those priests and bishops don't really know what's going on.  Sad.

Offline RadRides

• Special Member
  • bar-b-que-nin king
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 08:27:11 PM »

Well, i would like to ask you a simple Question.

" did Jesus ever teach us to Pray to the Virgin? does the Bible give instruct us to pray for Mary? if So can you please show me? "

Hence i may ask you " well why do you pray to the Virgin?

The funny thing is, that seems to be the only reasoning behind non denominational arguments.  Let's blame the Marian Doctrine for this.  Some would love to pray to the Mother of God (aka Mother of Christ) as it may strengthen their faith or just make them feel better.  I don't think there is nothing wrong with that.  She was chosen to carry the Begotten Son of God.  In the CotE there are many hymns and prayers to the first martyrs and early fathers of the church, nothing wrong with that.  It's tradition.  In the end, they all tie back to the Father.  If you, as a true practicing Christian can do this and retain that God is the ultimate being, then you can certainly revere any of the early Christians who truly revealed God's Word.  I would love to show them that respect for doing EXACTLY what Christ preached.  They deserve it.  Not only that, it gives me an idea of how I should act.  The Bible is somewhat vague with that, so why not use other sources to enhance what the Bible was saying: be more like Christ.

Offline Knight

• Ultimate Member
  • Knight & JooJee
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
People...... could we please concentrate on the topic....I know you all like to share what you feel is right, but do that in a seperate topic.....back to WYD 2008

Offline JooJee

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 02:40:06 AM »
Is anyone here volunteering to help out for World Youth Day?

Offline Knight

• Ultimate Member
  • Knight & JooJee
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »
Is anyone here volunteering to help out for World Youth Day?

I know that my church will.... families will give some youth accommodation and transportation needs!

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »

MOVED: World Youth Week - Sydney 2008

Started by shamirumBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 373
Last post March 04, 2008, 08:19:23 PM
by shamirum
World Youth Day - Sydney 2008

Started by sydneydudeBoard Religion and Spirituality

Replies: 37