Author Topic: Skokie = 7 Miles?  (Read 1376 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ASHOOR

  • Administrator
  • ******
  • Posts: 30197
  • Gender: Male
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« on: December 09, 2005, 10:44:48 PM »
Today at work, we were talking about Chicago, Detroit and places where Assyrians live on the East coast of the US.

I have been to Detroit manytimes, and have seen the good and bad of it. I have seen 7 Miles (<-----loved the Iraqi restaurants) but have never been to Chicago before.

My bosses and other Assyrians have been to Chicago an average of two times a year, for close to 30 years, so they know it inside out.

Based on their description of an area in Chicago called Skokie/Devon, it sounded a lot like 7 Mile, sometimes even worse.

My question is, do the two look like each other? in terms of how derty they are, old buildings, narrow streets etc, and of course, lots of immigrants.


I want to visit Devon to see my buddy AIWA, if you guys remember him from the voice chat, he has a video store in there.
ASHOOR


-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Angel2

  • Special Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5854
  • Gender: Female
  • 6/14/08
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 11:03:22 PM »
No, Skokie and Devon are different

I live in Skokie and the roads are cleaner and wider, no curry smell, have more backyard, less houses, the houses are not so close together, there are less buildings, less people walking around
"May the Lord Bless You & continually fill your heart with His Love. May He give you victory in every trial you face.....As you are blessed of the Lord, may you become a blessing in return to all those who share your life."   Audrey Jeanne Roberts

Offline Angel2

  • Special Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5854
  • Gender: Female
  • 6/14/08
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 11:04:56 PM »
R U talking about 7 mile in Detroit..............Skokie is not like that, it's a suburb
"May the Lord Bless You & continually fill your heart with His Love. May He give you victory in every trial you face.....As you are blessed of the Lord, may you become a blessing in return to all those who share your life."   Audrey Jeanne Roberts

Assyrian Voice Forum

Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 11:04:56 PM »

Offline ASHOOR

  • Administrator
  • ******
  • Posts: 30197
  • Gender: Male
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 11:08:46 PM »
Thanks angel, yes I am talking about 7 Mile in Detroit.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline lilshushu

  • Golden Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8147
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:09:32 PM »
lol skokie and 7 mile are noooo where near each other! skokie is pretty..streets are big..it's more like the burbs in michigan..u know the good side..lmao

Offline steelcity_guy19

  • Special Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6295
  • Gender: Male
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 11:10:18 PM »
we all heard the song. Welcome to sterling heights.

Offline lilshushu

  • Golden Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8147
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 11:11:10 PM »
:bangin:  :bash:

Offline ASHOOR

  • Administrator
  • ******
  • Posts: 30197
  • Gender: Male
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 11:18:44 PM »
shushu, I beleive you lived in both cities right?

which one do you like more: Chicago or Detroit, not factoring the people you know in both cities.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Lovemoon

  • Ultimate Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13848
  • Gender: Female
    • http://www.Lovemoon.com  <--- fake website lol
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 11:21:02 PM »

-Skokie is nicer than 7 Miles 1000000000000 gahee
-7Miles looks like atrat komayah lol
-Devon looks like atrat hindwayah lol
"No matter how ugly you think you are, that special someone that loves you believes you are the most beautiful and irresistable thing on earth and nothing can ever change that."
Leh Parshelan eatateh,o' lazeh shimma d' Matwateh , Kolan eawakh m kha baba o mkhda yima akhonwateh.
العراقي ذهب.....العراقية الماس...العراقي وفه ..العراقيةاحساس...رغم كل الضروف يبقون احسن ناس

Offline steelcity_guy19

  • Special Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6295
  • Gender: Male
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 11:21:03 PM »
Quote from: lilshushu
:bangin:  :bash:



 :mrgreen:

Offline lilshushu

  • Golden Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8147
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 11:21:41 PM »
yea i lived in both cities but when i lived in chicago i was like 1 lmao i've lived in michigan ALL my life..i like it cuz it's not as crowded as chicago but i'm getting sick of it..soo would this answer ur question..i'm looking for a school to transfer to michigan. lmao their both nice cities it's just that chicago has a better night life  :mrgreen:

Offline ASHOOR

  • Administrator
  • ******
  • Posts: 30197
  • Gender: Male
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 11:22:14 PM »
Thanks lovemoon, and I think it was Devon that sounded like 7 Mile and not Skokie
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline lilshushu

  • Golden Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8147
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 11:25:43 PM »
Quote from: Lovemoon

-Skokie is nicer than 7 Miles 1000000000000 gahee
-7Miles looks like atrat komayah lol
-Devon looks like atrat hindwayah lol


la ah it's chaldean TOWN now lmao..moot komayah..they got kicked outt! lmao

Offline Lovemoon

  • Ultimate Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13848
  • Gender: Female
    • http://www.Lovemoon.com  <--- fake website lol
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 11:29:56 PM »
Quote from: ASHOOR
Thanks lovemoon, and I think it was Devon that sounded like 7 Mile and not Skokie


Np, I think Devon is busier than 7 Mile :baby:
"No matter how ugly you think you are, that special someone that loves you believes you are the most beautiful and irresistable thing on earth and nothing can ever change that."
Leh Parshelan eatateh,o' lazeh shimma d' Matwateh , Kolan eawakh m kha baba o mkhda yima akhonwateh.
العراقي ذهب.....العراقية الماس...العراقي وفه ..العراقيةاحساس...رغم كل الضروف يبقون احسن ناس

Offline Angel2

  • Special Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5854
  • Gender: Female
  • 6/14/08
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 11:32:52 PM »
Quote from: Lovemoon
Quote from: ASHOOR
Thanks lovemoon, and I think it was Devon that sounded like 7 Mile and not Skokie


Np, I think Devon is busier than 7 Mile :baby:


devon is mini India
"May the Lord Bless You & continually fill your heart with His Love. May He give you victory in every trial you face.....As you are blessed of the Lord, may you become a blessing in return to all those who share your life."   Audrey Jeanne Roberts

Offline GeOrGiNa

  • Mid-Level Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1397
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 01:00:32 AM »
hey ashoor i used to go to ur friend`sz video store but unfourtanetly itsz not there anymore...it closed down like 3-4 years ago  :bangin:

Offline BLUEICE

  • Mid-Level Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1714
  • Gender: Male
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 05:17:22 AM »
Skokie is where the "wannabe" gangsters live.

What a sad suburb.

Their cops are true pigs.
Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones. - Dwight Schrute

Offline shamirum

  • Golden Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9121
  • Gender: Female
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 06:17:38 AM »
Quote from: BLUEICE
Skokie is where the "wannabe" gangsters live.


Moot wannabes nasha? LOL, we have killers up in this burb. Sadly...  :blink:

But you're right in some sense; we have a lot of hoodie posers here, but the cops, I don't know, I haven't had any trouble ... yet.



For Ashoor:

As far as your comparisons, I swear khayee, sometimes you crack me up from how far off you are about certain things.  :bigarmhug:

Who gives you your information? :bangin:  Heehee…

Seven Mile Detroit is busy sometimes and so is Devon Avenue Chicago. They both have ethnic markets tailored to the community at large. But they are SO different. Maybe I'm biased, but I tend to think Devon is very safe, and Devon does stretch way out into the suburbs and gets amazingly beautiful after a few miles West. Anyway, I'd say it's not the best place to drive a brand new Mercedes because of the crazy, almost downtown-style driving (although that doesn't stop the Indians and Pakistanis around there), but it's relatively business and not crime-oriented. Seven Mile is okay in the daytime, but at night, I lock my doors.

Now Skokie, I have no idea how this got thrown into the mix, lol. It is similar to some Detroit suburbs, but because our metropolitan environment is VERY different, it is actually comparable to the suburbs that are farther from Detroit (unlike Skokie, which is relatively one of the closest suburbs to Northside Chicago and Downtown). In Detroit, the way the city works, generally, the farther you get from the metropolis (so the higher the miles, because, for example, Seventeen Mile Road is approximately seventeen miles from the city), the more expensive the suburb. In the Chicago area, for the most part, it works the opposite way. In fact, as many already know, some of our most expensive neighborhoods are right in the city, such as the Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, and both East and West Rogers Park (certain areas). So our suburbs somewhat work that way as well, the closer to the city, the more expensive and well-maintained, and Skokie is close. I think I'd compare it to Detroit's suburb of Sterling Heights, because it's large and some parts are much more expensive than others.

Now Rochester Hills, or even Birmingham, in Michigan, alaaah, let me tell you, those are places to live. But that’s only IF I want to be an hour away from my family in Michigan, and out six hours away from my Chicago family ... haha, sounds like a plan!

 :angelnot:

Offline lilshushu

  • Golden Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8147
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 10:07:46 AM »
Quote from: shamirum


Now Rochester Hills, or even Birmingham, in Michigan, alaaah, let me tell you, those are places to live. But that’s only IF I want to be an hour away from my family in Michigan, and out six hours away from my Chicago family ... haha, sounds like a plan!

 :angelnot:



lol picking the rich area's eh lmao..yes those a VERY nice places! good choice but their's also macomb, shelby twnship that a very pretty too! ooo and let me not forget the houses by stoney creek akhhh i found my future house their but its like 1.5 million lmao

Offline lightforce

  • Broncos kick ass!!!
  • Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2570
  • Gender: Male
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2005, 11:36:28 AM »
skokie has alot of old people too.

Its a quiet town

Offline GeOrGiNa

  • Mid-Level Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1397
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2005, 04:41:44 PM »
all the koomaya from section A in the SS are coming to skokie....

Offline RadRides

  • Special Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6060
  • Gender: Male
  • bar-b-que-nin king
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2005, 04:44:45 PM »
Does Devon have that Ghandi Electronics everyone talks about?  For some reason I remember seeing something like that in my cousins picture from years back, but can't recall the name of the store.  It's been years since I've been to the Windy City.  Convention time, I have to cruise down Devon glock and all.

Offline BeLLaMaFIa

  • Ultimate AVNer
  • *****
  • Posts: 22562
  • Gender: Female
  • *good times w/ the bestest friends*
    • http://www.assyriaonline.com/gallery/bellamafia
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2005, 05:32:11 PM »
skokie and 7 mile arent the same.. i thnk skokie is more hinduwayeh,hoodayeh and soorayeh.. and there's no lighting in the streets, the houses r pretty nice for a good price and the cops r a-holes..man i hate the suburbs if u even wanna call it that..haha 7 mile is more ghetto from what i remember no?? so yeah theyre completely diff..  :mrgreen:
I :2hearts: Zina!!!!

Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.

Offline BLUEICE

  • Mid-Level Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1714
  • Gender: Male
Skokie = 7 Miles?
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2005, 05:20:10 AM »
Quote from: shamirum
Quote from: BLUEICE
Skokie is where the "wannabe" gangsters live.


Moot wannabes nasha? LOL, we have killers up in this burb. Sadly...  :blink:

But you're right in some sense; we have a lot of hoodie posers here, but the cops, I don't know, I haven't had any trouble ... yet.



For Ashoor:

As far as your comparisons, I swear khayee, sometimes you crack me up from how far off you are about certain things.  :bigarmhug:

Who gives you your information? :bangin:  Heehee…

Seven Mile Detroit is busy sometimes and so is Devon Avenue Chicago. They both have ethnic markets tailored to the community at large. But they are SO different. Maybe I'm biased, but I tend to think Devon is very safe, and Devon does stretch way out into the suburbs and gets amazingly beautiful after a few miles West. Anyway, I'd say it's not the best place to drive a brand new Mercedes because of the crazy, almost downtown-style driving (although that doesn't stop the Indians and Pakistanis around there), but it's relatively business and not crime-oriented. Seven Mile is okay in the daytime, but at night, I lock my doors.

Now Skokie, I have no idea how this got thrown into the mix, lol. It is similar to some Detroit suburbs, but because our metropolitan environment is VERY different, it is actually comparable to the suburbs that are farther from Detroit (unlike Skokie, which is relatively one of the closest suburbs to Northside Chicago and Downtown). In Detroit, the way the city works, generally, the farther you get from the metropolis (so the higher the miles, because, for example, Seventeen Mile Road is approximately seventeen miles from the city), the more expensive the suburb. In the Chicago area, for the most part, it works the opposite way. In fact, as many already know, some of our most expensive neighborhoods are right in the city, such as the Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, and both East and West Rogers Park (certain areas). So our suburbs somewhat work that way as well, the closer to the city, the more expensive and well-maintained, and Skokie is close. I think I'd compare it to Detroit's suburb of Sterling Heights, because it's large and some parts are much more expensive than others.

Now Rochester Hills, or even Birmingham, in Michigan, alaaah, let me tell you, those are places to live. But that’s only IF I want to be an hour away from my family in Michigan, and out six hours away from my Chicago family ... haha, sounds like a plan!

 :angelnot:


I hope your being sarcastic.

You want killers go to the wild 100's
Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones. - Dwight Schrute

 

SUHEL POLIS FROM SKOKIE DIES IN PLANE CRASH...R.I.P

Started by Mama_MIABoard News & Current Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1563
Last post November 23, 2005, 02:28:14 PM
by KeKwAnTa_MaRiAn
Dored Shiba Of Skokie appeals to the State Department for his Sister in Law

Started by GGBWBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 1122
Last post February 10, 2007, 10:45:08 AM
by GGBW
Looking for Moona who worked at Holiday Inn in Skokie, Illinois

Started by bernelli8diBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 5
Views: 337
Last post September 19, 2007, 05:48:46 PM
by RadRides
Why Are Assyrians Marching In Skokie, IL For Parade?

Started by rumrumBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 18
Views: 1073
Last post April 08, 2009, 11:19:00 PM
by GeOrGiNa
Skokie woman charged with filing false report

Started by BarwarnetaBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 40
Views: 1938
Last post August 03, 2009, 06:29:23 PM
by Doosha_73