Author Topic: North Americans Say "Good Friday", Assyrians say "Sad Friday: who is right?  (Read 1048 times)

Online ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
This is a bit confusing: We Assyrians call it "Roota d'Khasha" or "Sad Friday"

People in the west on the other hand call it "Good Friday"

What is with this complete opposite wording of the same day? LOL.

In fact, Assyrians not only call it a sad friday, they do act sad too. My grand father was telling me that some 70 years ago, back in the villages, they wouldn't even greet each other on this day. You were supposed to make it as sad as possible.

What do you guys think? is it good or sad friday?

ASHOOR

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Chamcheeta

There isn't one right and one wrong way of looking at it. Each culture seems to look at it from a different point of view. It's Roota d'khisha for us because it is the day on which Jesus was crucified and people mourned for his death therefore making it a time of sadness. I've heard Germans call it mourning friday as well but I'm not too sure on that. Western culture however, call it Good Friday because they believe all that tragedy brought about the greatest good there could be. They are both equally 'right' depending on which perspective you look at it from...

Offline RadRides

• Special Member
  • bar-b-que-nin king
There isn't one right and one wrong way of looking at it. Each culture seems to look at it from a different point of view. It's Roota d'khisha for us because it is the day on which Jesus was crucified and people mourned for his death therefore making it a time of sadness. I've heard Germans call it mourning friday as well but I'm not too sure on that. Western culture however, call it Good Friday because they believe all that tragedy brought about the greatest good there could be. They are both equally 'right' depending on which perspective you look at it from...

very good explanation indeed.  assyrians are always crying for some reason haha

Assyrian Voice Forum

Offline carro

over here its called Long Friday, because it was  a long day for Jesus and his family the ppl tortured him and was crucified... im glad you told us why its called Good Friday because i thought it was weird  :giggle:

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
I don't think it's a question of right or wrong, but simply cultural.  We dwell on the negative, especially in times of death, unlike western culture.  I've been to many American funerals where after the burial, everyone was invited to a "celebration of (John's/Jane's) life."  Family and friends will get up and tell silly stories.  People are laughing.  No one is wearing black.  Can you imagine that being done at one of our funerals?!
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Online ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
That was a very good explanation Chamcheeta  :yourock:

I know it is not a matter of right or wrong, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Best Indicator of a Good Goalie in Hockey: "SV% or GAA?"

Started by ASHOORBoard Sports

Replies: 15
Views: 3419
Last post February 05, 2006, 07:22:55 PM
by steelcity_guy19
FINALLY got my "The Assyrians" Board Game!

Started by EnkiBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 10
Views: 1106
Last post May 03, 2006, 12:53:56 PM
by Hookah
MOVED: "Safe Haven For Assyrians"

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard Culture & History

Replies: 0
Views: 824
Last post March 20, 2008, 01:19:45 AM
by Free_Assyria
"Safe Haven For Assyrians"

Started by assyrian girlBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 8
Views: 1637
Last post March 24, 2008, 07:07:59 PM
by rumrum
Kurds claim indigeneity, kick assyrians out and claim oil as "theirs"

Started by GGBWBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 13
Views: 3357
Last post September 16, 2007, 11:41:35 AM
by Damail
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 4: index+Modifications.english (default), markItUp.english (default), SimTopics.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 25 - 865KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]