Author Topic: Are You Proud to be Assyrian?  (Read 15403 times)

Offline Strawberry Ice

• Mid-Level Member
Are You Proud to be Assyrian?
« on: March 02, 2006, 03:55:23 PM »
I am-to a certain extent. I am fond of our culture, language and traditions. Our history, from what I have been able to read thus far, is fascinating among other things. But go have a look in the:

A) History, Politics and Religion section
and
B) Serious Discussion section

Now, after reading some of the threads associated with the drama of the Church, Our Name, and 'Unity' , can you honestly say you are fully proud to be Assyrian? Some of the comments and allegations have absolutely disgusted me! They have affected me so, that I am unsure when it comes to my pride associated with Assyrians. I realize that not all Assyrians are vindictive and evil as some of those who have made threats against our bishops, but imagine the reaction a non-Assyrian would get reading some of that stuff? I'm ashamed to tell my friends who are not Assyrian about our current status-its appalling to say the least. This also stems back to the entire 'name' issue and the countless number of conflicts that have arisen out of it.

I'm not trying to stir up controversy or anything, Im just wondering if you can say that you are proud to be Assyrian. I only included that entire religious bit because it has affected me. Im not trying to say that Religion and Pride go hand in hand...it is wrong to be boastful about one's faith. But the situations have affected relationships between Assyrians. Thus, it has become overtly political.

I am aware that many ethnic groups have faced trials and tribulations throughout their history, much like Assyrians have, and clearly, we have managed to face adversity. I just hope that we can hurdle this because Id like to regain the abundant pride I once had.

So, I ask-are you proud to be Assyrian? And if so, what is that you are most proud of?

Offline shoemaker

• Special Member
  • Dont look at me.
    • http://www.TOUFFFF.com/org
Re: Are You Proud to be Assyrian?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
i am very proud of who we were, our history.....

as far as who we are today... :yucky:
not proud at all.

I hate everyone on this forum, including you...

Offline RadRides

• Special Member
  • bar-b-que-nin king
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:03:43 PM »
I for one am GLAD that I can read, write, and speak (not fluently) our beautifal language.  I think pride is what destroys people and nations.  But, who cares about the church stuff for a moment.  Take a look inside yourselves and ask: what does it mean to be Assyrian.  I think my first sentence proved a lot for me.  History, culture, etc.  I appreciate all that until I am laid to rest, but what will keep my nation alive is my language and faith. 

Offline Enki

• Ron Paul 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:20:57 PM »
I'm proud of our history but ashamed of our current situation.
"If you don't want to be criticized, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing!"

Offline MalekthaA2RETA

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 04:25:10 PM »
proud of our history, delicious cuisine and hospitality, music, but ashamed we are stuck in the mud and have turned to such pathetic behaviors that until the 70's really never plagued the assyrian community but when it hit oh boy did it hit us hard!

Offline carro

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 04:28:22 PM »
yes im proud to be assyrian  :)

Offline Renee

• Summer lovin', had me a blast
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »
This is what I don't understand...people are always quick to claim that they are proud of our past but ashamed of who we are today. Were we any different in our past? We SLAUGHTERED thousands. We have one of the most brutal empires that has ever lived.

So why, I ask you, are you proud of our past, yet ashamed of our present?

This is my opinion, when we look at our past, we concentrate on our triumphs, what we achieved. But when we focus on the present, we look at our short commings. We are, as every cultre is, a by-product of our societies/times.

We have SO MANY people who are currently doing absolutely amazing things, not only for our culture, but in their fields. We have brilliance in every field, all around the globe.

PLEASE...to all those who are loosing respect for our culture...look further!!! We have A LOT to be proud of, here in the present!

Don't filter out or gloss over all those that make our culture shine. Don't just look at the 'bad eggs'...they already get too much attention as it is!

I honestly say this with no bias whatsoever, Assyrians are a culture with natural, God-given intelligence and passion! We achieved much in our past, as we are today in our present.

I am proud of my culture, of my people. I accept that we are humans and individuals, but I choose to look at the whole picture and when I do, it's a lot brighter!

Let's start acknowledging the great as much as we do the not-so-great. Let's start to heal our sense of who we are, where we came from, where we are going and what we will do and what we are ACHIEVING.

I'm not even going to appologise for this sounding like a speech.

God bless!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 05:06:49 PM by Renee »

Offline Enki

• Ron Paul 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 05:19:55 PM »
This is what I don't understand...people are always quick to claim that they are proud of our past but ashamed of who we are today. Were we any different in our past? We SLAUGHTERED thousands. We have one of the most brutal empires that has ever lived.

So why, I ask you, are you proud of our past, yet ashamed of our present?

This is my opinion, when we look at our past, we concentrate on our triumphs, what we achieved. But when we focus on the present, we look at our short commings. We are, as every cultre is, a by-product of our societies/times.

We have SO MANY people who are currently doing absolutely amazing things, not only for our culture, but in their fields. We have brilliance in every field, all around the globe.

PLEASE...to all those who are loosing respect for our culture...look further!!! We have A LOT to be proud of, here in the present!

Don't filter out or gloss over all those that make our culture shine. Don't just look at the 'bad eggs'...they already get too much attention as it is!

I honestly say this with no bias whatsoever, Assyrians are a culture with natural, God-given intelligence and passion! We achieved much in our past, as we are today in our present.

I am proud of my culture, of my people. I accept that we are humans and individuals, but I choose to look at the whole picture and when I do, it's a lot brighter!

Let's start acknowledging the great as much as we do the not-so-great. Let's start to heal our sense of who we are, where we came from, where we are going and what we will do and what we are ACHIEVING.

I'm not even going to appologise for this sounding like a speech.

God bless!

Renee,

You're right in that we look at the negatives more so than the positives. But let me tell you why.

You say we have people excelling in a lot of fields and excelling in our culture. That I wont deny. I know of a lot of people excelling in sciences, law, eductaion, etc. But, heres why we're ashamed. Thats a minority!

Remember, we were the first nation to build a university (School of Nisibis). The first people to create law (Code of Hamurabi). The most advanced military nation in its time. The most recognized nation.

Our downsides, we'd destroy everything in site and party till we got piss drunk (hmmmm very different from today?). We also were very savage in our ways, according to western history. But then again, did the romans not have humans fighting with humans to the death? Or fighting with lions? So you see, we were all savage and ruthless then.

When you see people everyday giving up hope on an Assyrian nation and saying things like, "leave it to the ones in Iraq" you can't help but feel ashamed. The pride is gone. The love of our nation has died. You can see it in our music. In our conversations. In our church. In our youth's drunken, pot headed eyes.

Our music, as I said, have seriously changed and not for the better.

For instance, what the hell is Lazar Malko doing singing with a Reggae artist? What are we, Jamaican?

Our dances have changed thanks to our beloved Kurdish singer Janan Sawa'na'. Since when did we dance Kurdish instead of Siskani?

People keep saying, its just music. Well, has it ever occured to these people that music is really ALL we have left? With the exception of our corrupt church, theres nothing TRUELY identifiable of our people besides our song and dance. The clothes have changed, the traditions are changing, and our day to day language is dying. Whats left besides music?

These are the reasons why we feel ashamed of who we are today. The negatives are much more powerful than the positives.

Offline Renee

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 05:31:15 PM »
Riza...like I said...we are a by-product of our times. Back then everyone was brutal, we were just as good if not better at it.

These days, 98% of people have tried pot at one stage in their lives, our people are no different.

The people that excel have always been the minority but you didn't hear about the bums back in the day because people like that don't make the history books. People like that don't get remembered.

Our people are no worse off today than we were back in the day. The only thing is, our pride and sense of who we are is quickly deminishing because our culture is NOT being maintained.

or example, back in the day, I'm sure many many MANY Assyrians were 'bad-eggs' that achieved nothing great and that many people lost respect for our culture because of this majority. But because they lived in OUR country with OUR tarditions and OUR language, it was always there, the heart beat of Assyria beat within all of them. But today we are scattered all over the world, we have learnt to love the countries we were born in, their traditions, their language. We see the Assyrians that let down our culture and we say, manshee, I'm not proud of that, I don't want to be associated with that, I can divorce my culture. I will deny it and emesh myself within my western country.

These people that are causing us to loose pride in WHO WE ARE AS A CULTURE are people that won't be remembered in 50 years. These names won't be spoken. All the one's achieving greatness will!!!

That is, if we survive for that long.

If everyone just looked at the whole picture, things wouldn't seem so bleek. How could they with all the wonderous people we have? Even if they are a minority. Greatness is ALWAYS a minority. You need average and below-average so that when greatness comes along, it shines!

Don't dull our shine by looking away!!!!

Offline Enki

• Ron Paul 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »
We see the Assyrians that let down our culture and we say, manshee, I'm not proud of that, I don't want to be associated with that, I can divorce my culture. I will deny it and emesh myself within my western country.

But THATS who's letting down our culture. Its people like that who deny and mesh themselves within their western countries that are killing our nation.

Like you said, these people wont be remembered 50 years from now. Heres the sad part, if they're not remembered 50 years form now, their culture will also not be remembered. That culture will not be spread down to their kids and then what? Thats the end of it.

I really hope and pray our people wake up and are more proud of their history. Not just their war stories and land size. But of their influences in religion, science, astronomy, law, military advances, sanitation, medicine, the list goes on. When you look at that list, I'm sure you can think of a few Assyrians who work in at least 3 of those fields.

We have a lot to be proud of both then and now, but if we keep letting the majority slide, and loose their faith, well in the end, we follow the majority, and dissapear....

Offline Saggie

• HAHAHA
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »
im very proud and i think every assyrians proud of who they are, of course ur gonna get those who are ashamed but who really cares for those ppl? i seen some of u guys sayin ur not too proud of assyrians today, and i am one of those who totally agree wit that statement. but at the same time my closest friends are assyrians, i hang around wit only assyrians and its not intentional i think its just the way it is. i got friends from every race, but im never wit them. we are who we are we cant change nothing.
A lady once told me, "not everyone is as innocent as they look." she was right...

Offline Hookah

• Bears suck!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 05:52:55 PM »
Pride is a personal thing.  Like Renee said, before we were scattered there was a greater sense of community and while there were people that did stupid things, it was accepted as a part of the community as a whole that had problems like anywhere else.  But now instead of stealing chickens and running off with hajiata we've got george from down the street who knocked up a puerto rican girl or khanzada from a couple of blocks down who's a topless dancer.  If these people were anywhere else they would still be doing stupid things, but they would be overshadowed by the day to day good deeds of the community at large. When that community disintegrated we started to turn on each other and nitpick at other's flaws.  My pride doesn't stem from us wiping out jewish tribes or making persian kings slaves.  My pride comes from the fact that my gradfather fought against the turks so that our people would be safe.  My pride comes from  my parents who came to this country with no skills whatsoever and managed to build a life from scratch while making sure we knew who we really were and where we came from and set an example of how to live life in a proper way.  Am I proud to be assyrian, to be a part of a legacy of ancient people, you're damn right I am.  But its a personal pride that makes me want to live up to that legacy, the way it should be.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 05:54:50 PM by Hookah »

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 06:00:17 PM »
i am very very proud to be Assyrian, how ever our current status does not make me be ashamed to be Assyrian
its just we have issues that need to be looked at, what nationality these days does not have problems?

"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline Renee

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 06:10:17 PM »
Hoo-Kah! Hoo-Kah! Hoo-Kah!

:blush2:

:bigarmhug:

Offline RadRides

• Special Member
  • bar-b-que-nin king
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 06:19:37 PM »
Pride is a personal thing.  Like Renee said, before we were scattered there was a greater sense of community and while there were people that did stupid things, it was accepted as a part of the community as a whole that had problems like anywhere else.  But now instead of stealing chickens and running off with hajiata we've got george from down the street who knocked up a puerto rican girl or khanzada from a couple of blocks down who's a topless dancer.  If these people were anywhere else they would still be doing stupid things, but they would be overshadowed by the day to day good deeds of the community at large. When that community disintegrated we started to turn on each other and nitpick at other's flaws.  My pride doesn't stem from us wiping out jewish tribes or making persian kings slaves.  My pride comes from the fact that my gradfather fought against the turks so that our people would be safe.  My pride comes from  my parents who came to this country with no skills whatsoever and managed to build a life from scratch while making sure we knew who we really were and where we came from and set an example of how to live life in a proper way.  Am I proud to be assyrian, to be a part of a legacy of ancient people, you're damn right I am.  But its a personal pride that makes me want to live up to that legacy, the way it should be.

:yourock:

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 06:31:02 PM »
Wow, hookah!  Great post  :thumbsup: 
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Offline Hookah

• Bears suck!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »
Thank you all, but just to let you know I've reached my serious post quota for the month.

Offline Ashuriena

• Ultimate Member
  • I have a crocodile in my pants.
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »

I seriously don't think anyone could have said it any better than that.
I find out who sprayed it, and I'm puttin' you under the pavement. No Buddhist priest, Catholic or Baptist pastor can save him. I'm far from religious, but I got beliefs. So, I put canary yellow diamonds on my Jesus piece. - Game

Offline Nintendomaster

• Golden Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »
I'm proud of our history but ashamed of our current situation.

Same here. I hope the next generation wouldn't be just as bad as today.

Offline ultoMa

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 08:22:51 PM »
i'm with hookah on this one...as great as our ancient ancestors were and the accomplishments they had, my pride originates primarily from the assyrians that died during the genocides and all the hardships they have endured.

How could i not feel proud?...because someone goes on some forum saying things that undermines what i think of assyrians?...hell no!  Sure it's discouraging to see things that negatively affect our nation, but i don't think it's to a point where i would hang my head in shame. 

Besides, when i think of assyrians, i don't think of Kiryakoos Toma and his band of wannabe thugs proudly showing off their wrongfully spelt assyrian tattoos, no, i think of my grandparents and their parents and their parent's parents who have gone through so much so that i would have a life today.
To them, and to all the assyrians that give me a sense of hope, i applaud you and everything you stand for.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:26:24 PM by ultoMa »

Offline Nuray

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 10:57:52 PM »
I am proud of my ancestors who were somehow able to survive oppression and persecution for hundreds of years, all while maintaining an amazing and unique culture so that I could walk around today and still be fortunate enough claim my heritage & speak a rare language that only a few million people can comprehend .  I’m proud to say that I’m a person who is not only of non-Arab descent (no offense to the Arabs), but also a Christian who originated from Iraq.  I mean it seriously can not get any more interesting or better than that.

And honestly speaking, I could care less what the original Assyrians from thousands of years ago achieved.  They might have been one of the first & greatest empires to ever exist, but all that occurred in the past and there is no reason to be dwelling upon it.  Our culture has evolved and gone through so many significant changes (might I add for the better), that I doubt we share all that many similarities with the original Assyrians.  Speaking race wise, I could be as much Assyrian as the next person currently living in the fertile crescent.  Sometimes I feel like I would much rather be referred to as a Soreta, since that was what my family identified itself as before immigrating to a foreign land. 

It’s very sad to know that I’m living in a time in which we have been forced to abandon our homeland for a cultureless, western nation that neither appreciates nor recognizes us .  And all I can say is that I am in no way ashamed of my fellow modern-day Assyrians as many of them have been able to achieve astounding amount of success in a short period of time, considering the difficult circumstances they are living under .  I believe that as a whole nation, we have great amount of determination and drive and the future holds many good things. 

Being an Assyrian is what sets me apart from the rest and I could never deny it.  If anything it’s a privilege and an honor…  :)

Offline Renee

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 11:09:18 PM »
 :clapping:

Basmaa ganakh!

Offline atourina

• I Am The Best :)
  • Ultimate AVNer
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 08:16:49 AM »
im gonna say yes.. i am proud to be assyrian.. just cuz i see alot of people who here who are just 'Canadian'.. i might not speak assyrian well.. but i can still make fun of people in assyrian :)   and i love the fact that our music is so great.. and our dances... :kicking:

**Mean Girls Club**

Offline manuel50

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »
I think and this is not a personal attack,but assyrians are one of the worst people,and here i mean iraqi christians.they hate eachother and attack one another,although they meet and go to assyrian parties,deep inside they hate every moment of it.assyrians are empty people and they took the worst part of the iraqi soceity,they don't trust eachother and they think that only by over-pressure that people and girls specifically can be prevented from crossing the step of morality...and now whats good about assyrains.........umm..just nice music and nice dance..
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"  Voltaire

Offline atourina

• I Am The Best :)
  • Ultimate AVNer
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 10:33:22 AM »
well.. i wouldnt say ALL assyrians are like that..

us assyrian/iranians are more civil... :)

**Mean Girls Club**

Offline GodismyJudge

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 10:40:38 AM »
Of course i am proud. Every person must be proud of his heritage. It's something that is part of you as a person.
Every Nation has his bad and good things.

And i agree with Hookah on this as well. Really well said.
I am an Assyrian today, tomorrow, forever, and I am proud of it.

Offline BraTeiL

• Mid-Level Member
  • Benjamin!
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »
I am a proud Assyrian lady.... If I could choose a nationality I would choose Assyrian...

What makes me a proud Assyrian?

It's a very eassy and difficult question...because my proudness is in my blood..It's just there and I cannot change it, but the difficult part is how to explain this..

When I look at the European people, I am so glad I am a middle - eastern girl....The European are cold...their manners, their values are not like mine. Assyrians have the history to be proud but live in the future..they are always develop themselves wherever they are...wherever you go you always see succefull Assyrian..

When I speak my language and realize I am speaking such a old language ..it makes me proud...
Still listening to my music makes me proud...

just looking at my people makes me a Proud Assyrian....I just love being an Assyrian...:D

Khaye Umta Atoreta
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.

Offline Phiruel

• moi
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 06:20:23 PM »
We have the best mix ... between east and west which gives us a beautiful warm culture and beautiful people and a very old and beautiful language and a beautiful heritage I don't see any reason to not be proud..... I am very very very proud !

From the late David B.Perley
To be an Assyrian is feel: the past is my heritage I shall not forget, The present my responsibility: the future my challenge
... Assyria is where I am from ...

Offline Senharib

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 06:18:25 PM »
Damn right its a pride to belong to the Asssyrian nation. We have preserved our culture and our assyrian awaraness trough thousand of years in a muslim majority!

That person who not feal pride over our history is either uneducated or just being stupid!

Offline shamirum

• Golden Member
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2006, 03:00:40 AM »
There is something in this thread that is so beautiful, I can't even describe it.

Oh, and before I continue: Hookah, you should increase your quota!!!

Also, I'm so proud of some of you, and it's a small secret why, but I know it, and it makes me so happy. Please don't disappoint me.

When I was younger, it felt like my parents tried to shove "pride" down my throat. I was a rebel in the sense that I didn't think it was right to take pride in something that was not your own; I considered it just history and nothing more. I associated pride only with its negative effects: that "big-headed" attitude, the superiority-complex, the arrogance, the possible condescension toward and mistreatment of others unlike you.

Now I realize that pride, in small doses, can make you happy to be alive, born as you were, living among such amazing people. Amazing everyone, Assyrian or not. But it's okay to take pride in your heritage, and especially in the lineage that brought you to this day. It's wonderful to be interested in our past and see how we can do wonderful things for our future. It's not a bad thing to feel for your own people, to cry for their suffering, to feel more personal pain for them than others.

It's taken me a very long time to understand that if I help MY people and have pride in them, it doesn't mean I am turning my back on the rest of the world, it doesn't mean I feel we deserve to live more than others. Because as humans, we are inclined to help our families, and while the entire world is my family, other Assyrians/Chaldeans/Syriacs are the closest people I have as brothers and sisters. We're all part of one world, but our language, our history, our strengths, and our weaknesses, all of our good parts, and every single one of our bad elements, is and will be a part of me forever, because I’ve developed that pride inside.

Offline Hookah

• Bears suck!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 08:15:55 PM »
I would but its not good for my blood pressure.  Sorry.

Offline assyriangoddess

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 11:37:17 PM »
Sure, I am proud of our Nation that I cant even give a name for it, proud of the unity( its unspeakable),, proud of our political leaders who dont have the word(unity) in their dictionary, proud of our power ( we r so powerfull, that every1 on this earth, no who Assyrians are),
proud of our spiritual growth( its unbelivable, how a on the surface believer we become proud of our churches( they are defenitly doing Gods word), proud of the congregation who jumps very fast using all kind of technology to swear on our church's leaders having no shame indeed they are couragous ppl.,  proud of their passion to make thing worse, proud that most of our youth read, write and SPEAK our ancient language,proud of people who love to support non-Assyrian yet find it hard to support our own(weather at work place, or if its is a bussiness, ...etc)

But, I am not proud ( for sure)of our great history, rich culture, strong church, and our forfathers who shed their blood so we can say  today"that we ar Assyrians "

I wounder how woud it feel to be something else???????????? I am not sure if others might have some of the godness we have( its genetic, we inherited from our god ppl.)!!!!!!!!

God bless

Ya bnooneh d Sahde bnooneh d Ashooreh, temon banakhlon an tleekhe shooreh
L Gabbareh d Zowaa hawakh hauooreh, peeshena diyehh bshimma d natoore

Why are you proud to be Assyrian?

Started by annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 15
Views: 3448
Last post October 24, 2005, 11:15:51 AM
by Damail
Proud to be Assyrian??

Started by BAGHDADDYBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 17
Views: 2847
Last post November 23, 2005, 10:38:30 PM
by Angel2
Proud to be Assyrian

Started by petervocalsBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 23
Views: 1668
Last post August 16, 2006, 08:25:45 PM
by sydneydude
What makes you proud to be Assyrian?

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 21
Views: 2643
Last post February 04, 2007, 08:34:46 PM
by Renee
Beni Benjiman :POP & R&B Artist - Album Out Soon - Yep i am Assyrian:& Proud

Started by Beni BenjimanBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 3
Views: 1126
Last post December 17, 2008, 12:08:16 PM
by Barwarneta
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 4: index+Modifications.english (default), markItUp.english (default), SimTopics.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 26 - 892KB. (show)
Queries used: 24.

[Show Queries]