Author Topic: Ancient Assyrians buried their dead with turtles  (Read 651 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Ancient Assyrians buried their dead with turtles
« on: March 30, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
Ancient Assyrians buried their dead with turtles

Ancient Assyrians sent their dead to the afterlife with fearsome companions: turtles. Excavations of a burial pit in southeastern Turkey revealed skeletons of a woman and a child, plus 21 turtles, a team lead archaeologist Rémi Berthon of France’s National Museum of Natural History reports in the February Antiquity.

The burial is part of an Assyrian site called Kavuşan Höyük that dates to between 700 and 300 B.C. The turtle bonanza included shells from one spur-thighed tortoise (Testudo graeca) and three Middle Eastern terrapins (Mauremys caspica), plus bones from 17 Euphrates soft-shelled turtles (Rafetus euphraticus). Butchering marks on the R. euphraticus bones indicate that the turtles may have been eaten in a funerary feast, Berthon and his colleagues write.

Back then, turtles were a regular menu item in many parts of Mesopotamia. Turtle bones also were thought to ward off evil. The abundance of R. euphraticus turtles, a notoriously aggressive species, in this burial pit suggests the deceased had high social status.

To ancient Assyrians, these ferocious reptiles probably represented eternal life and served as psychopomps — mythical guides to the afterlife, the team writes.

source: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-assyrians-buried-their-dead-turtles

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
Re: Ancient Assyrians buried their dead with turtles
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 06:15:10 PM »
I want to be buried with turtles too ^_^

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »
huh, I always thought the idea of Turtles being long living creatures was a European idea/cultural idea.

I guess they inherited that from us as well.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »

Offline Sharukinu

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:24:54 PM »
huh, I always thought the idea of Turtles being long living creatures was a European idea/cultural idea.

I guess they inherited that from us as well.

Maybe all it was was that folks got hungry listening to the eulogy, ate a heap of turtles and decided to chuck their shells in while they were at it.

...or maybe these guys were a bunch of turtle thieves and were executed alongside the turtles that they devoured.
“It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another.”

― Titus Livy

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »
Assyrians took the catchphrase "I like turtles" too literally, I guess.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline AssyrianHistorian

• assyrian voice
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 09:47:22 AM »
Neat! although they are pretty peaceful, I would hate to be buried with a turtle, whether I was alive or dead lol

Images Of Ancient Assyrians & Babylonians

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard Culture & History

Replies: 0
Views: 1168
Last post February 13, 2007, 12:40:17 AM
by Free_Assyria
Assyrians Shot Dead in Sydney

Started by sydneydudeBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 20
Views: 4729
Last post November 04, 2005, 10:00:40 PM
by Special_K
The Assyrians - Discovery Channel - Ancient Warriors

Replies: 7
Views: 1820
Last post January 21, 2008, 04:12:16 AM
by Free_Assyria
The Annunaki: Were Ancient Assyrians Extra-terrestrials?

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Replies: 7
Views: 6712
Last post December 16, 2006, 10:32:51 PM
by Nina
Ancient Assyrians in northwest Iran near Urmia

Replies: 9
Views: 3018
Last post January 05, 2007, 09:45:14 PM
by DonTELGA
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 912KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]