Author Topic: This Assyrian's post on reddit about reaching Assyrian independence.  (Read 555 times)

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
This Assyrian's post on reddit about reaching Assyrian independence is absolutely spot on!

The "Assyrian problem" is something that should be looked at long term. There are multiple issues that need to be worked out before we even start to think of settling.
We are still divided amongst ourselves and that problem needs to at least come to some type of compromise. Our church leaders argue over what our name is, other power hungry groups do the same. Are we Chaldean? Are we Syriac? Are we Aramaean? Are we Assyrian? Then the problem goes further, you can agree upon what your name is - you are Assyrian but what village are you from? These old notions and ideologies only divide us and both religious and politically motivated individuals take full advantage of these issues to try to cement their power.
Another problem is that we have a relatively small population. We live within a very large Kurdish population and very large Arab population (and in between). It's incredibly difficult to get political clout in these circumstances. Hence why there is an echo chamber effect when people speak of Assyrian issues. Nobody on the outside world really cares.
We need to look at this from multiple perspectives. We cannot expect the world to give us the ancestral areas, we also can't just tell other people who have been living in these areas for hundreds of years to just leave- that would be absurd. If you look at the US, people have strong ties to their "homeland" and most families have been here what, 50-100-200 years? The middle east has much deeper roots for all people.
The diaspora needs to look at what it can accomplish in the long term, not just within a few years. We need to continuously get educated not just in specific realms, but all realms. We need academics of history, linguistics, economics, politics, engineering, science and pretty much every discipline. Once we establish more credibility and a wider berth of Assyrian studies the sphere of influence needs to widened to other areas. We need more people to get involved in politics, more doctors, more engineers, more professors and ALL of this needs to be a consistent continuous effort. This works into the next point - we need to overall be a wealthier population and have more monetary influence. Monetary influence turns into political influence. Look at what the Jews have accomplished in the last 100-200 years. Look at what the Armenians have accomplished in the last 50 years alone.
Hypothetically even if we were given a stake in land right this second, there would be power struggles, there would be multiple issues with infrastructure. Armenia is a great example of this, while they are an autonomous country now, they are (relatively speaking) fairly poor. If there is a heavy focus in diversifying themselves and building infrastructure then they will move forward. Israel is kind of an anomaly since the political clout it holds in the united states is so strong it's almost as if it's just an extension of the country itself. But they are also highly technologically inclined.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Assyria/comments/3sj138/assyrian_homeland/cwy0owz

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Re: This Assyrian's post on reddit about reaching Assyrian independence.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »
I'll address his points bit by bit, you can reply to him with my post if you want but give me credit for it.

"Are we Chaldean? Are we Syriac? Are we Aramaean? Are we Assyrian? Then the problem goes further, you can agree upon what your name is - you are Assyrian but what village are you from?"

Response: The Assyrians who do that are usually older generation, I've NEVER been asked what village or tribe by younger generation of Assyrians.

"Another problem is that we have a relatively small population"
Response: It's not so much the small population, there are countries that are small and have 5,000 or 10,000 people. The issue is that Assyrians are small AND SPREAD OUT. If Assyrians were living in a more concentrated area, we'd have alot more political power than now.

"his works into the next point - we need to overall be a wealthier population and have more monetary influence."
Response: the majority of Assyrians are mostly within Middle class range, obviously we should be moving up as a whole on the money ladder but the issue is how many rich Assyrians actually want to help Assyrians?

The rich Assyrians who do want to help Assyrians usually get annoyed by the greedy ones and it turns them off from wanting to help further...

"Look at what the Jews have accomplished in the last 100-200 years. Look at what the Armenians have accomplished in the last 50 years alone."
Response: Just like me, we shouldn't forget that Jews didn't live near Barbarians who (still) believe in 7th century beliefs. Jews were surrounded by intellectualism and a scientifically growing communities, Armenians had the help of Russia with them as well. How many Assyrians in the Middle-East grew up in that kind of environment?

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »
I'll address his points bit by bit, you can reply to him with my post if you want but give me credit for it.

"Are we Chaldean? Are we Syriac? Are we Aramaean? Are we Assyrian? Then the problem goes further, you can agree upon what your name is - you are Assyrian but what village are you from?"

Response: The Assyrians who do that are usually older generation, I've NEVER been asked what village or tribe by younger generation of Assyrians.

"Another problem is that we have a relatively small population"
Response: It's not so much the small population, there are countries that are small and have 5,000 or 10,000 people. The issue is that Assyrians are small AND SPREAD OUT. If Assyrians were living in a more concentrated area, we'd have alot more political power than now.

"his works into the next point - we need to overall be a wealthier population and have more monetary influence."
Response: the majority of Assyrians are mostly within Middle class range, obviously we should be moving up as a whole on the money ladder but the issue is how many rich Assyrians actually want to help Assyrians?

The rich Assyrians who do want to help Assyrians usually get annoyed by the greedy ones and it turns them off from wanting to help further...

"Look at what the Jews have accomplished in the last 100-200 years. Look at what the Armenians have accomplished in the last 50 years alone."
Response: Just like me, we shouldn't forget that Jews didn't live near Barbarians who (still) believe in 7th century beliefs. Jews were surrounded by intellectualism and a scientifically growing communities, Armenians had the help of Russia with them as well. How many Assyrians in the Middle-East grew up in that kind of environment?

Nice argument, but can't post because the thread is locked.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »
I couldn't agree with it more.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

post ur assyrian live songs here

Started by sargongabrielBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 9
Views: 1788
Last post March 04, 2006, 03:34:59 AM
by GodismyJudge
First Post: A Prayer to Bless Assyrians and Assyrian Voice!

Started by ASHOORBoard Religion and Spirituality

Replies: 7
Views: 2117
Last post February 13, 2006, 06:15:38 PM
by RAMTA
Assyrian Post

Started by malekta1Board News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 672
Last post January 10, 2007, 11:08:39 PM
by malekta1
Guest Post: To an Assyrian, Getting Attached is a Dangerous Thing