Author Topic: Road sign in Assyrian in Iran  (Read 1191 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Road sign in Assyrian in Iran
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:01:35 AM »
I have never heard of this place, but I think it is near Urmi, so they included Assyrian too:  "Moosh Abad"

ASHOOR

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Re: Road sign in Assyrian in Iran
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »
they really should put some vowel markings at times.

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »
they really should put some vowel markings at times.

Arabic and Hebrew don't use vowel markings 99% of the time and they get by just fine.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:18:02 PM »
Arabic and Hebrew don't use vowel markings 99% of the time and they get by just fine.

For Arabic, that may be the case and it is OK for the most part, but it can get confusing a lot of times. Here are some examples:

The word 'كتبت' could be read two ways without the vowel markings:

-She wrote
-I wrote

If you put the vowel markings, it changes it completely: كَتِبت (she wrote) and كَتِبتٌ (I wrote) - not sure if you can see the markings?

But I get what you are saying, in most cases, the context will give you the clue as to what the words mean, without the need for vowel markings.

I don't have a problem with this in Arabic , but in Assyrian I do, but it comes with practice.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Kosovo1389

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:27 PM »
I have never heard of this place, but I think it is near Urmi, so they included Assyrian too:  "Moosh Abad"

ASHOOR

There are many people from the village in LA, almost all of whom I know. They actually Persianized the name when spelling it in Assyrian, because the Gorshoni transliteration is "Mushawa."
Zivjela Srbija.

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
For Arabic, that may be the case and it is OK for the most part, but it can get confusing a lot of times. Here are some examples:

The word 'كتبت' could be read two ways without the vowel markings:

-She wrote
-I wrote

If you put the vowel markings, it changes it completely: كَتِبت (she wrote) and كَتِبتٌ (I wrote) - not sure if you can see the markings?

But I get what you are saying, in most cases, the context will give you the clue as to what the words mean, without the need for vowel markings.

I don't have a problem with this in Arabic , but in Assyrian I do, but it comes with practice.

ASHOOR

Hence why I wrote "99%" (not "100%") and "get by just fine" (not "get by perfectly"). :)

Side note: in addition to context and practice with that specific case, can you also use a pronoun to avoid ambiguity, like كتبت انا vs. كتبت هي? (I don't speak Arabic, so I don't know.)

All written languages are prone to ambiguity. If we're just talking about homographs, English is a nightmare:

• "I read" (qaarin or qrelee?)
  • "wind" (pokhaa or gdhaalaa?)
  • "bow" (qishtaa or kyaapaa?)

All languages also require time and practice to master their written form. English is no exception: in the same way you can't just learn the alphabet in kindergarten and expect to be immediately proficient in reading English, you can't just learn aalaph-beth in Sunday Assyrian class and expect to be immediately proficient in reading Assyrian. I'm not sure why some people think that's the case and insist on vowels always being used. Vowels are good to start learning, but one should really ditch them as fast as possible lest they become a crutch.

[/quote]
There are many people from the village in LA, almost all of whom I know. They actually Persianized the name when spelling it in Assyrian, because the Gorshoni transliteration is "Mushawa."

What do you mean? I don't see a rukkaakhaa mark underneath the beth (unless it's covered by dirt). The rukkaakhaa could be implied, but what makes you think that? How else would they spell it?

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »

What do you mean? I don't see a rukkaakhaa mark underneath the beth (unless it's covered by dirt). The rukkaakhaa could be implied, but what makes you think that? How else would they spell it?

Isn't qushaya and rukkakha always needed when writing sans-vowel marks but only rukkakha is needed when using vowel marks?

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
Isn't qushaya and rukkakha always needed when writing sans-vowel marks but only rukkakha is needed when using vowel marks?

No.

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »
Yay! I just read the Assyrian sign perfectly! And no, I didn't peak at the English translation. lol
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Assyrian Men held in Syrian jail for 20 years....(sign petition)

Started by EnkiBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 19
Views: 3410
Last post July 21, 2006, 09:51:35 AM
by Enki
Assyrian New Year! IRAN, Urmia

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard Assyrian Youtube Clips

Replies: 0
Views: 2536
Last post March 29, 2008, 07:22:48 PM
by Free_Assyria
Assyrian Church of the East School in Iran, 1965

Started by Robert KhnanishoBoard Culture & History

Replies: 0
Views: 1367
Last post May 07, 2006, 11:57:40 AM
by Robert Khnanisho
Assyrian choir from Iran on the concert in Tbilisi, Georgia

Replies: 1
Views: 1937
Last post January 19, 2008, 12:06:25 AM
by [EDV 11N]
Assyrian Church in Tehran, Iran

Replies: 12
Views: 5285
Last post March 14, 2008, 09:38:48 PM
by AshurTiglat
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 912KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]