Author Topic: August 7th: Assyrian Martyr's Day ... it never gets old  (Read 1771 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
August 7th: Assyrian Martyr's Day ... it never gets old
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »

Today, August 7th, we commemorate the Assyrian Martyr's Day, a day that traces its roots to the bloody events of 1933. That is when the Iraqi government committed a bloody and systemic massacre against some 3000 innocent Assyrians in the town of Semele in northern Iraq. Such tragedies against Assyrians would unfortunately repeat themselves in the next decades and till this day.

In 2015, as the whole world is now aware, Assyrians are suffering under the hands of ISIS,  not to mentionr other governments and groups directly or indirectly. We are simply an easy target and others take advantage of that.

Of course, prior to 1933, Assyrians had suffered even more massacres and genocides, on a much larger scale, including the Syefo genocide committed by the Ottoman Turks-aided by some Kurdish agents-in which hundreds of thousands of Assyrians were killed and slaughtered in 1915. In addition to Assyrians, some 1.5 million Greeks and Armenians were also killed in this horrific genocide. The literature on the Seyfo genocide is well established and rooted and doesn't need further explanation from me.

Since the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, this cycle of violence against Assyrian Christians has continued and even taken on a new turn for the worst. Not only have our people been killed by terrorists, churches and other significant Assyrian sites were demolished and bombed. Like already mentioned, it is a systemic violence and far from being random.  For example, is it any coincidence that ISIS decided to attack the heavily Assyrian-populated region of the Nineveh Plain in Iraq on the eve of Assyrian martyr's day last year (August 7th, 2014)? Most likely not. The date was most likely chosen intentionally and deliberately.  Sometimes our enemies and haters know our history better than us and use it to keep the awful bloody memories fresh and alive.

Earlier this year, Assyrians in Syria found themselves the target of ISIS, with many getting killed, hundreds taken captives-majority till this day-and entire towns being captured and emptied of their Assyrian inhabitants. In other words, if you are Assyrian, geography doesn't matter much, you will be systemically targeted.

This all brings me to this point: this day, the day we remember our martyrs and fallen victims, is probably as important a day as any other significant day in the calendar of the Assyrian nation. By marking this day on our calendar, we tell our enemies that we don't forget and are strong and resilient enough to keep going.

May all the martyrs of the Assyrian nation rest in peace and their blood be the guide to a better future for Assyrians.

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:46:47 PM by ASHOOR »

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: August 7th: Assyrian Martyr's Day ... it never gets old
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »
Famous letter, sent by the Iraqi government  to Assyrians before the Semele massacre in August 1933, asking them to drop their weapons or face severe consequences.

Translation:

"Title: To the disobedient Assyrians

The government has announced:

1-You have been given 60 hours (starting from 12:00 noon on Saturday (exact date not clear) of this month of August, to give back your weapons to the nearest government, army or police station, as the only way to show your good intentions.

2-Once this is completed, the government will halt its planned disciplinary action against you.

3-If this 60-hour period passes and you don't submission and obedience, and give up your weapons to the authorities as mentioned above, government forces will resume chasing you down wherever you are severely harass and punish you

4-Take this golden opportunity and accept this advise, otherwise you will end up regretting it.

Signed by the name of the government.
Spokesperon for the Mosul Brigade. "

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:13:23 PM by ASHOOR »

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »
Regarding the letter above, Assyrians had no more weapons or even close to what the Kurds or Arabs in the region had. Yet they chose to only go after the innocent and powerless Assyrians. Easy target as always.

This propaganda letter makes it seem like Assyrians had done something huge that was against the government, when in fact that was furthest from the truth. If anything, Assyrians were already being persecuted by the government.

Another thing I noticed? this letter came from the Iraqi army brigade in Mosul, the very city which ISIS no occupies and takes as their capital in Iraq. Co-incidence? probably not and I wouldn't be surprised if the grandkids of this butcher army officer who sent this letter are members of ISIS now. The same blood line is alive and well in these dirty families that have hated Assyrians and Christians in general and continue to do so till this day.

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:42:50 PM by ASHOOR »

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:24:10 PM »
Regarding the letter above, Assyrians had no more weapons or even close to what the Kurds or Arabs in the region had. Yet they chose to only go after the innocent and powerless Assyrians. Easy target as always.

This propaganda letter makes it seem like Assyrians had done something huge that was against the government, when in fact that was furthest from the truth. If anything, Assyrians were already being persecuted by the government.

Another thing I noticed? this letter came from the Iraqi army brigade in Mosul, the very city which ISIS no occupies and takes as their capital in Iraq. Co-incidence? probably not and I wouldn't be surprised if the grandkids of this butcher army officer who sent this letter are members of ISIS now. The same blood line is alive and well in these dirty families that have hated Assyrians and Christians in general and continue to do so till this day.

ASHOOR

This just makes me ask "why do we never learn?"

That letter is 100% the biggest reason why Assyrians, today, should've been armed and stockpiled with weapons...

I don't know who to blame for this today though, our church leaders? our politicians? who do I blame?

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 02:02:07 AM »
3000 Assyrians killed by Iraqis in 1933? How come I never heard of this historic barbarity? This is almost as bad as the Assyrian Genocide. I can't believe that people rarely bring it up?
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »
Remembering Assyrian Martyrs Past and Present Article by Abbey Mikha

http://www.assyrianvoice.net/emagazine/?p=1623

ASHOOR

Offline Bronit Omta

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 05:03:02 AM »
3000 Assyrians killed by Iraqis in 1933? How come I never heard of this historic barbarity? This is almost as bad as the Assyrian Genocide. I can't believe that people rarely bring it up?

Wait you're an enthusiastic Assyrian and never heard about the Simele massacre?! Take a break and read about our history so at least you're knowledgeable about what's happened to our people.

This is exactly why a lot of Assyrians don't trust the Iraqi government.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »
Wait you're an enthusiastic Assyrian and never heard about the Simele massacre?! Take a break and read about our history so at least you're knowledgeable about what's happened to our people.

This is exactly why a lot of Assyrians don't trust the Iraqi government.
You just said that you can't speak Assyrian properly. Learn our language first and then take a bash at me.

The word "Simele" did ring a bell though ("Martyr's Day" didn't for some reason). I did come across articles about it a few years ago. It's just that the Assyrian Genocide has always been the forerunner when it came to brutality against us. So I would have easily forgotten the Simile massacre.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:28:48 AM by Neon »
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
You just said that you can't speak Assyrian properly. Learn our language first and then take a bash at me.

The word "Simele" did ring a bell though ("Martyr's Day" didn't for some reason). I did come across articles about it a few years ago. It's just that the Assyrian Genocide has always been the forerunner when it came to brutality against us. So I would have easily forgotten the Simile massacre.

I don't think he is taking a bash at you, at least not from what I understood. He is simply surprised and I was too when you said that you didn't know about this. But that is fine, you know now. The thing is, most people know about the Assyrian genocide of 1915 (Seyfo) at the hands of the Ottoman Turks and are sometimes surprised to know that Assyrian Martyr's Day is to commemorate the events of 1933 and not 1915. So I kinda see your point there.

ASHOOR

Offline Cascade

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:14:10 PM »
I don't think he is taking a bash at you, at least not from what I understood. He is simply surprised and I was too when you said that you didn't know about this. But that is fine, you know now. The thing is, most people know about the Assyrian genocide of 1915 (Seyfo) at the hands of the Ottoman Turks and are sometimes surprised to know that Assyrian Martyr's Day is to commemorate the events of 1933 and not 1915. So I kinda see your point there.

ASHOOR
He should've been at least a bit nice about it? "Take a break and learnt about our history..." sounded rather confrontational. There are a thousand ways to word stuff to sound more friendly.

As I said, "Simele" did sound familiar. I know I've heard (and read about) it before.

Assyrian Martyr's Day - Toronto (August 16)

Started by ASHOORBoard Old Events (before 2011)

Replies: 3
Views: 1675
Last post August 15, 2009, 02:21:40 PM
by assyrian87
Lest we Forget: August 7th, Assyrian Martyr's Day

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Views: 2093
Last post August 08, 2009, 12:24:07 AM
by Tears of Assyria
August 7th: Assyrian Martyr's Day

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Replies: 4
Views: 2026
Last post August 08, 2013, 12:15:45 PM
by ASHOOR
Monday August 7th - Assyrian Chaldean Syriac Genocide Awareness Event - Canada

Started by DiklatBoard Culture & History

Views: 1494
Last post August 09, 2006, 05:35:30 PM
by Enki
The Assyrian Chaldean Syriac Genocide Awareness Day August 7th

Started by NinaraBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 7
Views: 1141
Last post August 09, 2006, 12:07:42 PM
by Enki
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 912KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]