Author Topic: April 24, 2015: marking the 100th anniversary of the genocide  (Read 5795 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
April 24, 2015 is the 100 year anniversary of the horrific genocide committed by the ottoman Turks against the Assyrian/Armenian/Greeks, in which over 2 million people lost their lives.

It is a big anniversary and as such, I gave created this thread to it.

I will leave you with this very cool audio clip, by a local Assyrian rapper, who has written and performed this poem about the Assyrian genocide.

ACSSU Presents: Tawer Daniel - Assyrian Genocide Story

ASHOOR

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: April 24, 2015: marking the 100th anniversary of the genocide
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:34:12 PM »
The Assyrian Genocide: 100 Years of Denial
By Hermiz Shahen

2015-04-24 02:19 GMT

(AINA) -- The World War I genocide of Assyrians of all Christian denominations has become an integral part of the life and collective consciousness of the Assyrian nation until the present day. The extermination took many forms and methods within the conditions and political realities of different conflicts experienced by the Middle Eastern countries and the world. The factors that surrounded them locally and globally affected the entity of the Assyrian nation adversely and catastrophically. In recent years, history is repeating itself for the Assyrian nation. They are systematically driven out from their ancestral lands in Iraq and Syria. They have been subjected to gross violations of human and legal rights. Murder, rape, assault, and forced conversions to Islam have become commonplace as armed death-squads attempt to force Assyrians out of their time immemorial habitats; exactly 100 years after the Ottoman Empire's Caliphate government started its campaign of ethnic cleansing in 1914 against its Christian population. Nearly half-a-generation later, on August 7, 1933 over 6000 defenseless Assyrians were massacred by the Iraqi army because they demanded their rights.

Today, about one hundred and fifty thousand of Syria and Iraq's dwindling Assyrian population has been forcefully displaced over a very short period of time. The jihadists have moved in swiftly and forcefully to claim several Assyrian towns, forcing their inhabitants to flee. They have destroyed homes ancient churches, Assyrian artifacts and the Assyrian archaeological sites. The major goal for committing these massacres has always been ending the national entity of the Assyrians as the original owners of the land and inheritors of history and civilization. It also aimed at the elimination of the Christian presence in the region, which according to the definition of genocide endorsed by the United Nations, is defined as "crimes against humanity" that pursue the persecution and physical extermination of national, ethnic, racial and religious minorities.

On the centenary of the genocide, the recognition by the international community of the last century's genocide against the Assyrian, Armenian and Greek peoples is overdue. The modern Turkish Republic has continued its denial and its refusal to acknowledge its Ottoman predecessor's involvement in these crimes against humanity. Recognition is an essential step towards saving humanity from the threat of future destruction. A defilement of the concept of human dignity is today the result of humanitarian disasters in many parts of the world including Africa and the Middle East. As a consequence of the 1915 genocide against the three nations, the link with eternity was lost when the symbol of that eternity, which is the Assyrian civilization, was killed in the massacre of 750,000 Assyrians. The most ancient human civilizations come from the region of Mesopotamia. The Ottoman Empire destroyed the last remnants of this civilization in that region. At the same time the Armenian civilization was substantially destroyed and half of that nation was exterminated. Those Armenians who survived lost almost all their historical territories .The depopulation of Assyrians, Armenians and Greeks from their ancestral homelands was part and parcel of Turkey's policy of eliminating the Christian minorities.

The Assyrians, Armenians and Greeks have been crying out for justice following the atrocities committed against them a century ago. Our voices had fallen on deaf ears in Australia for the longest time. Until recently that is, when on 1 and 8 May 2013, a motion recognising the Assyrian, Armenian and Greek genocide was passed unanimously in the New South Wales Legislative Council and Legislative Assembly in Australia. This great justice would not have been possible without the courageous stand of two great individuals who moved this motion in both houses, namely; Reverend the Hon. Fred Nile MLC, President of the Christian Democratic Party and The Hon. Barry O'Farrell, former Premier of New South Wales as well as with the contribution and support of all the esteemed parties in the New South Wales State Parliament. To date the Swedish, Dutch, Armenian and Austrian parliaments have recognised the Assyrian Genocide along with the European Parliaments and His Holiness Pope Francis. We hope that other countries including Australia will follow suit. The three nations that suffered this horrific genocide will always remember with pride and honour the Australian & New Zealander heroes who were eyewitnesses to the inhumane acts perpetrated against them. ANZACs had rescued survivors of the massacres and deportations across the Ottoman Empire between 1915 and 1918, making the Armenian, Assyrian and Greek genocides a part of the Australian story.

Recognition of the genocide will guarantee that Turkey understands its contemporary obligations to protect both the human and collective national rights of its minority populations and to prevent any future genocide. It will also help to strengthen our Assyrian national existence in the homeland as well as in the Diaspora, and will initiate international awareness of the Assyrian nation's rights to existence among the nations of the world. Let justice be done, souls consoled, broken hearts mended, nations reconciled, and honor given to all those who perished so needlessly during a dark hour in mankind's recent history.

Hermiz Shahen is the Deputy Secretary General of the Assyrian Universal Alliance.

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:51:06 AM »
No wonder they don't take us seriously - a rapper is representing us.  :mellow:

But thanks for the article.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:51:06 AM »

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:40:10 AM »
No wonder they don't take us seriously - a rapper is representing us.  :mellow:

But thanks for the article.

Mmm are you serious or joking? who said he is representing us or can't represent us for that matter? I am not into rap one bit, but sometimes you need different methods to attract young people to serious and important issues like this (genocide) and young people would be drawn to this more than say a lecture which they would find boring.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
Two graphics that perfectly illustrate the 100 year anniversary of the genocide

ASHOOR

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
Mmm are you serious or joking? who said he is representing us or can't represent us for that matter? I am not into rap one bit, but sometimes you need different methods to attract young people to serious and important issues like this (genocide) and young people would be drawn to this more than say a lecture which they would find boring.

ASHOOR
What makes you think I'm joking? I'm one of the more serious posters in here.

Look, rap has always been the only "method" to attract us to westerners. When Assyrians perform in English, 95% of the time they do it with hip hop. And yes, this video is trying hard to represent us. You don't even have to say it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:35:53 AM by privatebenjamin »
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 09:40:56 AM »
What makes you think I'm joking? I'm one of the more serious posters in here.

Look, rap has always been the only "method" to attract us to westerners. When Assyrians perform in English, 95% of the time they do it with hip hop. And yes, this video is trying hard to represent us. You don't even have to say it.

It is one of thousands of ways of representing us. After all, neither you nor I, not hundreds of people here, had seen it before today.

Anyway, I see your point, but at the same time it doesn't make sense to me. I mean if this was our national anthem, then sure, it is not proper or professional. But it is just a popular method of reaching and informing more people.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »
For the first time ever: Armenians protest in Baghdad, in front of the Turkish embassy

Source and pictures: http://www.ankawa.com/forum/index.php?topic=778848.0

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »
The hashtag #ArmenianGenocide is officially trending top 10 worldwide on Twitter which is very nice to see.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 12:01:46 PM »
US President Barack Obama issued a carefully worded statement for the anniversary, referring to "one of the worst atrocities of the 20th Century", without using the term genocide.

During his 2008 presidential election campaign, then senator Obama had vowed to "recognise the Armenian genocide" and in his new statement said: "I have consistently stated my own view of what occurred in 1915, and my view has not changed."

However, his phrasing has angered Armenian Americans.

Bryan Ardouny, executive director of the Armenian Assembly of America, said in a statement: "President Obama's exercise in linguistic gymnastics on the Armenian genocide is unbecoming of the standard he himself set and that of a world leader today."

Don't expect anything differently from a president that is all about political-correctness.

ASHOOR

Offline Assyrian_Man

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »
I had a great meeting with the Armenians of Latvia. An Assyrian friend of mine found out that the Armenians were planning a memorial ceremony at an Armenian monument (... 5 years and I didn't know this existed here), and a demonstration outside of the Turkish embassy.

Wow! I was there with my Assyrian T-shirt and flag with some 5-7 Assyrians that also study in my school. Basically the Armenians only spoke Latvian, Russian or Armenian so we didn't understand but there was still this sense of understanding, we felt connected. Like family. When we are outside the Turkish embassy, the priest was chanting Armenia genocid and the crowd was chanting it back. Then he saw my flag and immediately he raised his voice and started chanting Assyria genocid! Several times over and the chanting got significantly louder (then they started mixing). Their priest came to me, shook my hand and tried to communicate, but it was difficulty. But he said "family", and I replied "brothers". I was very touched.

A lot of other Armenians came to me (us) and asked about the flag. They said: Are you Assyrian??? They were very happy to see us. Two Armenians introduced me to three Assyrians!!! I was so shocked, because I had no idea there were any of us here. Turns out they are actually Assyrians from Armenia, currently studying in Latvia, and after the studies they will return to Armenia. We saved each others contacts and will try to plan something before my graduation, an Assyrian get-together.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »
I had a great meeting with the Armenians of Latvia. An Assyrian friend of mine found out that the Armenians were planning a memorial ceremony at an Armenian monument (... 5 years and I didn't know this existed here), and a demonstration outside of the Turkish embassy.

Wow! I was there with my Assyrian T-shirt and flag with some 5-7 Assyrians that also study in my school. Basically the Armenians only spoke Latvian, Russian or Armenian so we didn't understand but there was still this sense of understanding, we felt connected. Like family. When we are outside the Turkish embassy, the priest was chanting Armenia genocid and the crowd was chanting it back. Then he saw my flag and immediately he raised his voice and started chanting Assyria genocid! Several times over and the chanting got significantly louder (then they started mixing). Their priest came to me, shook my hand and tried to communicate, but it was difficulty. But he said "family", and I replied "brothers". I was very touched.

A lot of other Armenians came to me (us) and asked about the flag. They said: Are you Assyrian??? They were very happy to see us. Two Armenians introduced me to three Assyrians!!! I was so shocked, because I had no idea there were any of us here. Turns out they are actually Assyrians from Armenia, currently studying in Latvia, and after the studies they will return to Armenia. We saved each others contacts and will try to plan something before my graduation, an Assyrian get-together.

That is amazing, thanks for sharing! I have an Assyrian friend of mine here in Canada who came from Georgia. There is a small community of about 400 Assyrians there. And of course we have a big community in Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia.

ASHOOR

p.s: be sure to introduce them to Assyrian Voice :cool2:

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
The year is 2115: Assyrians are marking the 200th anniversary of the genocide & the 100th anniversary of the ISIS massacres

Inevitable!

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:40 AM »
Did you guys see the Armenians March jn LA? Omg , the pictures are unbelievable! The estimates are putting the number at 130,000. I will post some pictures later.

Ashoor

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
Protests all around the world.

Ashoor

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »
Rabi Yonadam Kanna, Iraqi Member of Parliament and ADM (Zowaa) General Secretary, sitting one row behind Vladimir Putin in Armenia at the commemoration of the 100 year anniversary of the Assyrian, Armenian and Greek Genocide

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 04:40:06 PM »
Video: Younadam Kanna marking the genocide anniversary in Armenia with other world leaders.

Honorable Yonadam Kanna, François Hollande ,Vladimir Putin – Armenia 24 April 2015

Ashoor

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 04:41:16 PM »
We need more people like her...

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 06:05:38 PM »
We need more people like her...

Oh my goodness, finally.

The reason why most Turks deny the genocide is because they are too afraid to speak up to the government, if you read about the controversy on the genocide in Turkey you will see some Turks were assassinated for coming out and say the genocide happened. So sad, most of these people that were killed for not denying the genocide were Turkish Nationalists.

Just in time for the 100th anniversary of the genocide: important book

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Replies: 1
Views: 583
Last post April 22, 2015, 09:46:07 AM
by ASHOOR
On 100th Anniversary, German President Condemns Turkish Genocide.

Started by Assyrian NationalistBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 3
Views: 491
Last post April 24, 2015, 09:48:01 PM
by Cascade
Open letter to the Turkish president (re. 100th anniversary of the genocide)

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Views: 417
Last post April 27, 2015, 04:03:13 AM
by Cascade
Video: Younadam Kanna marking the genocide anniversary in Armenia

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Views: 333
Last post April 25, 2015, 06:06:23 PM
by Assyrian Nationalist
Assyrian Church Anniversary Party in London, ON: April 30

Started by ASHOORBoard Canada

Views: 2428
Last post May 14, 2011, 06:27:50 PM
by Kosovo1389
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 10: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default), Aeva.english (default), Aeva.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 29 - 977KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]