Author Topic: Skeleton remains of a Sumerian man discovered in southern Iraq  (Read 3588 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Skeleton remains of a Sumerian man discovered in southern Iraq
« on: February 14, 2015, 03:35:25 PM »
Skeleton remains of a Sumerian man discovered in southern Iraq

This was during an archaeological excavation involving Iraqi and Italian missions in southern Iraq.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:36:05 PM by ASHOOR »

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Asshur

Re: Skeleton remains of a Sumerian man discovered in southern Iraq
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »
I don't get it, how are we exactly related to Sumerians? the only thing I can think of was when the Akkadain empire merged the Akkadians and the Sumerians and took from eachother
I am Ashurbanipal, the great king, the mighty king, king of the universe, king of Assyria, king of the four quarters of the world; offspring of the loins of Esarhaddon, king of Assyria, viceroy of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad; grandson of Sennacherib, king of the universe, king of Assyria.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »
I don't get it, how are we exactly related to Sumerians? the only thing I can think of was when the Akkadain empire merged the Akkadians and the Sumerians and took from eachother

Sumerians and Akkadian interbred and became the Assyrio-Babylonian people...

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »

Offline Shahin

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
I would say that most Babylonians were mixed with Sumerians while Assyrians were mixed with others north mesopotamian peoples.
ܚܢܢ ܟܠܢ ܣܘܪܝܝܐ ܡܢ ܐܫܘܪ
We are all Assyrians !

Offline Gate_Of_Inanna

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:37:28 PM »
This is big news - the claim to Sumerian heritage is the toughest to make. Indo-European culture-vultures have been making retarded claims about "Aryan invasions" and building Sumer for years - this will finally prove that today's North/Western Europeans were nothing more than useless North/Western Europeans for most of history. I CAN'T WAIT.
Law #21, Code of Ur-Nammu: "If someone severed the nose of another man with a copper knife, he must pay two-thirds of a mina of silver"

Only 32 laws.. am I the only one who is wondering how common nose amputation in Sumeria was?

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
I would say that most Babylonians were mixed with Sumerians while Assyrians were mixed with others north mesopotamian peoples.

No, the Sumerians started mixing with the Akkadians before the Akkadian empire even existed and then later split into Babylonia and Assyria...

Offline Asshur

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 07:36:59 AM »
Sumerians and Akkadian interbred and became the Assyrio-Babylonian people...
Can you send me some link, I want to read
I am Ashurbanipal, the great king, the mighty king, king of the universe, king of Assyria, king of the four quarters of the world; offspring of the loins of Esarhaddon, king of Assyria, viceroy of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad; grandson of Sennacherib, king of the universe, king of Assyria.

Offline Straw King

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 07:38:25 AM »
At the end of the day we all got raped by Mongols and Arabs, which wrecked our genes.

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 02:02:18 PM »
At the end of the day we all got raped by Mongols and Arabs, which wrecked our genes.

You don't know how hard I lol'd

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 06:07:46 PM »
Can you send me some link, I want to read

Wikipedia, read on Sumerians and look up the citations.

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 05:06:59 AM »
I thought Sumerians were the modern day Mandeans?

If we (directly) came from Sumerians we would be rather dark, akin to a typical Kuwaiti. Mandeans are typically swarthy people.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 04:10:51 AM »

If we (directly) came from Sumerians we would be rather dark, akin to a typical Kuwaiti. Mandeans are typically swarthy people.

We don't directly originate from Sumerians. Assyrians originate from an Akkadian-Sumerian mix.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 08:07:19 PM »
We don't directly originate from Sumerians. Assyrians originate from an Akkadian-Sumerian mix.
Well, that makes sense. If we were "pure" Sumerians we would look like Osama Bin Laden.

Were "Akkadians" around during the Sumerian times? By "Akkadians", I mean, were there people living in Northern Iraq at that time? And WHO were they? They surely must've been lighter-skinned, or at least similar to Phoenicians and the Romans.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Macross

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »
I mean, were there people living in Northern Iraq at that time? And WHO were they?

Hurrians.

The city of Arrapha on the map is now located under Kirkuk.

Relating back to the main topic, ancient DNA testing on ancient Mesopotamian human remains has been long overdue.

Offline Joe25

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 10:50:20 AM »
^I agree. Did the remains from this case already get studied?

Do you have proof to back up this vulgar statement? Because I have yet to see dna studies showing us to be mixed with "arabs"(assuming you mean the peninsula penotype) and I certainly don't see anything about Mongols unless you mean the Assyrians who were forcibly absorbed by the ottoman turks. From what I've seen we have some connections with Armenians today.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 08:38:44 PM »
Hurrians.

The city of Arrapha on the map is now located under Kirkuk.

Relating back to the main topic, ancient DNA testing on ancient Mesopotamian human remains has been long overdue.

wrong, I have a source that says there were Semitic-speaking people BEFORE the Hurrians were in control...

"I. J. Gelb and E. A. Speiser believed East Semitic speaking Assyrians/Subarians had been the linguistic and ethnic substratum of northern Mesopotamia since earliest times, while Hurrians were merely late arrivals"

Gelb, Ignace J.(1963), The History of Writing (University of Chicago Press)

Offline Cascade

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
wrong, I have a source that says there were Semitic-speaking people BEFORE the Hurrians were in control...

"I. J. Gelb and E. A. Speiser believed East Semitic speaking Assyrians/Subarians had been the linguistic and ethnic substratum of northern Mesopotamia since earliest times, while Hurrians were merely late arrivals"

I'll take your word.

Offline Etain

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 09:34:13 PM »

Sumerians were the most ancient of people, so it would be very difficult to draw a direct link.
But I've heard it said both Mandeans and Marsh Arabs were descended from them.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 09:56:35 PM »
Sumerians were the most ancient of people, so it would be very difficult to draw a direct link.
But I've heard it said both Mandeans and Marsh Arabs were descended from them.
Mandeans originate from the Levant region (Jordan, Syria). But they still could have Sumerian heritage to an extent, just the same way we would.

Marsh Arabs are a mixed bunch, considering their ethnicity and religion. They would have Mesopotamian, Arabian, Persian and even Indian roots.

Offline Macross

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 12:27:42 AM »

"[A]s literacy dawns over the horizon of prehistory the first ethnic group whom we know to have inhabited the region [Arbil and its environs] are the Hurrians. This is not to say there were not other groups. There almost certainly were. Texts over these millennia relating to the eastern frontiers of Mesopotamia (for instance Ur III administrative documents and the Shemshara archives) contain a large number of personal names whose linguistic affiliation has not yet been established and it is, in my view, probable that parent languages will one be day be recognised and reconstructed for at least some of them. Be that as it may, the Hurrians are the earliest definable group for whose presence in the region we currently have evidence; followed closely by the Sumerians."

-Tell Nader Project/Tell Baqrta Project
Dr. Konstantinos Kopanias
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:28:18 AM by Macross »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
"[A]s literacy dawns over the horizon of prehistory the first ethnic group whom we know to have inhabited the region [Arbil and its environs] are the Hurrians. This is not to say there were not other groups. There almost certainly were. Texts over these millennia relating to the eastern frontiers of Mesopotamia (for instance Ur III administrative documents and the Shemshara archives) contain a large number of personal names whose linguistic affiliation has not yet been established and it is, in my view, probable that parent languages will one be day be recognised and reconstructed for at least some of them. Be that as it may, the Hurrians are the earliest definable group for whose presence in the region we currently have evidence; followed closely by the Sumerians."

-Tell Nader Project/Tell Baqrta Project
Dr. Konstantinos Kopanias

So does that mean ancient Assyrians are Akkadian-Hurrians?

How else did Assyrians become prevalent in that area without being mixed?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:21:30 PM by mrzurnaci »

Assyrian Tomb discovered in Iraq (with Picture)

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Replies: 5
Views: 2487
Last post July 30, 2010, 08:09:47 PM
by ASHOOR
Ancient City Discovered Buried Beneath Mound in Northern Iraq

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Replies: 1
Views: 5609
Last post October 01, 2013, 01:02:51 PM
by mrzurnaci
Southern Iraq Bypassing Kurdistan in Democracy

Started by mrzurnaciBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 3
Views: 548
Last post April 19, 2015, 11:26:51 AM
by mrzurnaci
Canadian Show "Just for Laughs" being shown everywhere, even in Iraq!

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 0
Views: 880
Last post February 27, 2006, 12:07:31 AM
by ASHOOR
Iraq edge China(Asian Cup 2007 Qualifying Group E)

Started by thirstyninosBoard Sports

Replies: 1
Views: 964
Last post March 02, 2006, 09:08:54 AM
by Crocodile Bani
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 912KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]