Author Topic: What is the relationship between Assyrians and Mandaeans?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
What is the relationship between Assyrians and Mandaeans?
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »
all in title.

Offline Asshur

Re: What is the relationship between Assyrians and Mandaeans?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
Sorry I don't even know what they're, mind informing me about the people/culture and the language?
I am Ashurbanipal, the great king, the mighty king, king of the universe, king of Assyria, king of the four quarters of the world; offspring of the loins of Esarhaddon, king of Assyria, viceroy of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad; grandson of Sennacherib, king of the universe, king of Assyria.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
Sorry I don't even know what they're, mind informing me about the people/culture and the language?

From Wikipedia

Mandaeans (Modern Mandaic: מנדעניא‎ Mandaʻnāye, Arabic: الصابئة المندائيون‎ aṣ-Ṣabi'a al-Mandā'iyūn) are an ethnoreligious group indigenous to the alluvial plain of southern Mesopotamia and are followers of Mandaeism, a Gnostic religion. The Mandaeans were originally native speakers of Mandaic, a Semitic language that evolved from Eastern Middle Aramaic, before many switched to colloquial Iraqi Arabic and Modern Persian. Mandaic is mainly preserved as a liturgical language. During the century's first decade the indigenous Mandaic community of Iraq, which used to number 60–70,000 persons, collapsed in the aftermath of the Iraq War of 2003; most of the community relocated to nearby Iran, Syria and Jordan, or formed diaspora communities beyond the Middle East. The other indigenous community of Iranian Mandaeans has also been dwindling as a result of religious persecution over that decade.[3]

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 02:55:55 AM »
I believe that they descend from Sumerians. Or at least, those ancient clans in southern Iraq and Kuwait (whatever they were called).

We aren't that close to them. Though some would have mixed with us, that's why they have those who resemble Assyrians a bit.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 12:07:37 PM »
I believe that they descend from Sumerians. Or at least, those ancient clans in southern Iraq and Kuwait (whatever they were called).

We aren't that close to them. Though some would have mixed with us, that's why they have those who resemble Assyrians a bit.

May I ask where you even do your research? Everytime we talk historical stuff, you seem to always get it wrong.

Offline Googoo

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »
They're not mesopotamian, they're levantine people who came to Southern Iraq at the time of Jonah or something like that. Could be any seimitic group living in the levant who later on moved to Southern Iraq. They exist in eastern Iran too.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 08:09:45 PM »
May I ask where you even do your research? Everytime we talk historical stuff, you seem to always get it wrong.
If you're so knowledgeable of history why would you make this thread? Clearly, you also didn't know where they came from.

They have always been inhabitants of southern Mesopotamia. Now would they have come from west like Jordan or Syria much earlier on? Perhaps. But I doubt that they're ALL of Levantine origins. They would have Mesopotamian ancestry.

It's not just black & white. And you always happen to think that...
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
If you're so knowledgeable of history why would you make this thread? Clearly, you also didn't know where they came from.

They have always been inhabitants of southern Mesopotamia. Now would they have come from west like Jordan or Syria much earlier on? Perhaps. But I doubt that they're ALL of Levantine origins. They would have Mesopotamian ancestry.

It's not just black & white. And you always happen to think that...

Because History only happened once... So it technically is Black and White.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 08:29:37 PM »
Because History only happened once... So it technically is Black and White.

Er, I didn't mean it in that context...

I meant that historical ethnicity is more "technical" than that. Everyone is a bit mixed, maybe besides the tribal Africans and the likes.

Mandeans may have primordial origins from the Levant. When they came to southern Iraq, obviously they would've mixed with the natives there (who might as well could've been recent descendants of Sumerians, just the same way we were earlier in history). Since so many interbreeding happened there in the last thousand years (with Gulf Arabs) they would now probably be more Arab than Levantine -- After all, they are very Arabicized and would even look it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:31:31 PM by Neon »

Assyrians For Truth & Jusice Program Today

Started by sydneydudeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 87
Views: 15115
Last post March 01, 2006, 08:10:50 PM
by Senator_Danavi
Ethnic Cleansing of Assyrians Continues in Iraq

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 1431
Last post March 01, 2007, 04:07:56 PM
by Free_Assyria
Assyrians in North America have an Accent. Those in Australia & Europe don't!

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 44
Views: 9154
Last post June 13, 2015, 12:25:15 AM
by Cascade
Assyrians/Syriacs are being robbed of property they have owned for thousands of

Started by PhiruelBoard Culture & History

Replies: 7
Views: 1892
Last post March 10, 2006, 03:17:41 AM
by Senator_Danavi
An article mentioning Assyrians!

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 6
Views: 1952
Last post January 04, 2006, 05:53:39 PM
by BD
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 912KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]