Author Topic: 14th-15th Century Assyrian Clothing  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Sahdina

14th-15th Century Assyrian Clothing
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »
I was wondering what the style of dress in those eras might have been.  I'm going to a ren faire set in the early 1400s, and I need to know how the Assyrians in that time might have dressed.  So far, I have had no luck in finding anything. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:47:13 PM by Sahdina »

Offline Rumtaya

• Mid-Level Member
Re: 14th-15th Century Assyrian Costume
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:18:56 AM »
I would guess that it wouldnt be much different from what we used to wear 90 years ago (prior the world war one).

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
I don't think "costume" is the best word to describe our clothing.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »

Offline Sahdina

Re: 14th-15th Century Assyrian Clothing
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »
Not sure why I posted costume.  :/  I did mean the clothing, after all.  I think I had retail on the brain at the time.  Either way, I'm still trying to find more information on Assyrians in the 14th-15th centuries. I haven't come across anything other than the Tamerlane massacres during that time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:47:25 PM by Sahdina »

Offline Sahdina

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 10:54:39 PM »
I suppose a little more information is required.  I fight in a live steel combat group set around 1425.  I chose to have an Assyrian persona as I am 1/8th Assyrian (not a lot, I know, but I am very proud of my heritage).  I chose to send her out of her village during the Tamerlane massacres, as I couldn't think of any other reason that n Assyrian at the time would leave the safety of their villages (religion or study, maybe, but those didn't fit her character).  My goal is to educate people through my persona as I live in the midwest United States and not a lot of people know anything about Assyrians.  I want to be as accurate and respectful as possible, but I haven't found a lot of resources about 14th-15th century Assyrian culture, clothing, weapons, etc.  It seems like history jumps from Assyria to the 1st and 7th centuries AD to the 1800s.

I really want to make this work and have a historically accurate persona to display as many aspects of an Assyrian in the 1400s.

Offline assyrian103

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »
See if this can help its the closest to the time period that i can find. And it gives just a small look at what was worn

Offline elevated

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:22 PM »
I suppose a little more information is required.  I fight in a live steel combat group set around 1425.  I chose to have an Assyrian persona as I am 1/8th Assyrian (not a lot, I know, but I am very proud of my heritage).  I chose to send her out of her village during the Tamerlane massacres, as I couldn't think of any other reason that n Assyrian at the time would leave the safety of their villages (religion or study, maybe, but those didn't fit her character).  My goal is to educate people through my persona as I live in the midwest United States and not a lot of people know anything about Assyrians.  I want to be as accurate and respectful as possible, but I haven't found a lot of resources about 14th-15th century Assyrian culture, clothing, weapons, etc.  It seems like history jumps from Assyria to the 1st and 7th centuries AD to the 1800s.

I really want to make this work and have a historically accurate persona to display as many aspects of an Assyrian in the 1400s.

It might be hard to find any information on Assyrians during that time period, but I would maybe try reading some Ottoman sources, since they were the ones in control before Western and Russian missionaries started appearing in the 1800's. You could also try looking into Abbasid sources.

You may also consider looking at Armenian or Persian attire.

Offline elevated

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 11:24:31 PM »
I would guess that it wouldnt be much different from what we used to wear 90 years ago (prior the world war one).

I doubt it. Fashion usually goes through rapid changes, and one can tell how much our attire changed from our ancient history to the early modern period. This can even be seen on a more micro scale, in the context of modern nations over the last 100 years.

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 03:03:52 AM »
If the Turkish empire had western influence the fashion would look like this for citizens:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:05:04 AM by Neon »
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

assyrian of the century

Started by sydneydudeBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 10
Views: 1729
Last post July 16, 2006, 01:20:33 AM
by Had
Assyrian-Chaldean Student Union Celebrates its 15th Anniversary

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 2
Views: 794
Last post December 10, 2006, 04:49:53 PM
by sydneydude
Assyrian Women's Union of Iraq celebrates its 15th Anniversary

Started by Alda B.Board News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 747
Last post May 07, 2007, 02:44:06 AM
by Alda B.
Assyrian Aid Society of Canada Second picnic - Sunday, Jun 14th

Started by NinaraBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 0
Views: 498
Last post June 10, 2009, 03:34:25 PM
by Ninara
How to wear the Assyrian traditional clothing

Started by SalemBoard Culture & History

Replies: 17
Views: 22327
Last post March 03, 2010, 05:45:56 PM
by GreenTea
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 912KB. (show)
Queries used: 25.

[Show Queries]