Author Topic: Should parents have the right to impose their religion on their children?  (Read 9887 times)

Offline ultoMa

It's one thing to teach your children about all the dominant religions and even agnosticism/atheism, it's another to impose one religion on them and expect them to be faithful in that religion.  Should parents have this right? Why or why not?

Personally, i think that if parents feel that religion is important, that they should teach their children about religions outside of their own, without imposing their own on their children.  They should allow the child to make their own choice and force should NEVER be apart of the equation.  Also, I do NOT buy into the idea that religion is something you are born into, rather, a choice you make.  A choice of religion is the same as a choice of a favourite sports team or a political stance.  You are not born a red sox fan or a leftist baby, no more than you are born a christian or muslim.  

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:17:42 PM by ultoMa »

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
I think you can get into some murky territory when you try to tell parents what they can and cannot teach their children.  My mother drilled a lot of stuff in my head when I was younger and I ended up disavowing 90% of it on my own.  I haven't sat either of my kids down and told of them of the evils of the republican party but both (so far) seem to have adopted my political views  :giggle:  This is certainly not meant to downplay the major influential role parents play in raising their children, but I think we can do the best we can, yet in the end they will make up their own minds.
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Offline the_dave

• Simple living high thinking...
It is very important for a parent to teach their children their religion, its a way of life, and a very good one if followed right. Its just like teaching the kids rules, "what is allowed and not allowed", but you can never force someone as you said, by doing so you can get the opposite effect of what you want of your children. If the children dont follow the rules they are thought there will be consequences, its exactly the same with religion, if you do not follow "the way of the religion" you will probably have a lot of problems in life and so on. This is the persons own choice to make, if he wants follow the religion or take the consequence of doing stupid things in life that is not good for him. This is the parents task, to teach the child how to follow rules or follow a religion so that he will live the good way so that there wont be any bad consequences... Belief is not a matter of choice, but of conviction
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Assyrian Voice Forum

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
Kahlil Gibran On Children:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.
The Rights of Assyrians -UN Declaration
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDtB12aA8I

The existence of the Assyrian Nation & Nationality is a fact
http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline Renee

• Summer lovin', had me a blast
What do you mean when you say impose? Do you mean, for example, force their children to go to Church even if they don't want to? Or do you mean, beat their kids if they don't read their Bibles for 4 hours every night?

I believe that parents should have the RIGHT to impose their religious beliefs onto their children, within the limits of the law (i.e. not beat it into them, etc). My reasons are threefold:

1) It would be impossible to police

2) You would be removing more of a parents power than is currently the case. this places more power in the hands of the children, which are not developmentally able to make sound decision for themselves. They are very much pleasure-seeking individuals, with limited understandings of consequence. As such they are likely to make bad decisions for themselves. So effectively the law is gradually limiting the control a parent can have over their child, yet still holds the parent responsible for the child. I believe control should be in the hands of the party that is responsible for the child.

3) The removal of such rights would further secularism, which I believe to be much more harmful (as it creates an uncontested monopoly and thus an excessive control of power in the hands of governments which have repetitively abused and damaged their citizens) than any religion known to mankind.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:39:07 PM by Renee »

Offline ultoMa

renee and anyone who agrees with her view, do you take the view that children born into a christian family are christian children, or do you think that it is just a child without a religious affiliation (since it can't comprehend that choice yet)?  Do you think it's right to make a child's choice for something so important?  Do you not think that if you are a christian, that you should educate your child on as many religions as possible and allow them to make their own choice?  We do not force our children to be red sox fans or to be liberals, unless we're asses anyways, so why should we force our children towards a specific religion? 

Note: please separate 'teaching your child' from 'forcing your child'.  It's one thing to teach your children about christianity, it's another to force them to adopt that view.  This force doesn't have to be physical, but if the child is made to think that they stand to face punishment if they don't adopt the view, then something is wrong.  I'm talking about a household where a child would feel, at best, uncomfortable, and at worse, not accepted, in a family where these would be the conditions for not accepting christianity.

Offline Renee

I'll try and answer on the weekend if I get a chance =)

Offline the_dave

do you take the view that children born into a christian family are christian children, or do you think that it is just a child without a religious affiliation (since it can't comprehend that choice yet)?  Do you think it's right to make a child's choice for something so important?  Do you not think that if you are a christian, that you should educate your child on as many religions as possible and allow them to make their own choice? 
well here in sweden a lot of assyrian children are tought their religion, many of whom dont chose to follow it later when they come up to the age teens, to me a lot of these children have been given pretty much all the freedom they want in making their own choises in life. Most of them grow up to be just "****ed up". so why shouldnt you as a parent in a christian home, reapeat and teach you child as much as you can and try to make them understand so that they may start beliveing and start to learn the rest themselfs so that they become good christians, you have to as a parent tell them that this is the good way of life, because it is... this isint forcing in any way its convincing, and i dont belive that this is that dangures becase if the kids dont want to they can still choise not to belive.
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline David

• Special Member
I wonder what would result from a study where individuals are presented the case for religion and the case for evolution for the first time. How many people do you think would pick evolution over religion, or vice versa? Imposing your religious beliefs on your children prevents this type of test from occuring. Unfair? I think so.
"It is dreadful when something weighs on your mind, not to have a soul to unburden yourself to. You know what I mean. I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." -Frediric Chopin

www.assyrianaid.org | www.aancoalition.org

Offline ultoMa

I wonder what would result from a study where individuals are presented the case for religion and the case for evolution for the first time. How many people do you think would pick evolution over religion, or vice versa? Imposing your religious beliefs on your children prevents this type of test from occuring. Unfair? I think so.

to add to that, i'll throw in the doug stanhope experiment: listen to the first minute or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

Offline the_dave

Re: Should parents have the right to impose their religion on their children?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:50:39 PM »
to add to that, i'll throw in the doug stanhope experiment: listen to the first minute or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ExAw4hIhRIU
about this guy, there is a saying, "the thing with faith is that; if you don't have it, you don't understand it, and if you do, no explanation is necessary"

Iam not an extremist when it comes to christianity, iam not the one who tells people about religion to make them belive, if they dont, fine by me... they are the ones missing out the whole good thing with it, not me.
What is the most important thing with christianity? it is that if you belive in it and live after it and the words of god, you will have a good life here on earth. The is the single most important message of the religion. Forget everything about resurrection or going to heaven and the miracles that will happen to you after life, thats just the bonuses of the fatih. The point is, to be a good human beeing and to be good to other people, and try to help others, isint that how life really is supposed to be?

And for those who dont belive in that something happens after life, well dont... the fact still reamains that even in science they say that "mass and energy can never disappear, only be convertet to other kinds of energy forms" doesnt that mean that something will happen to you after life. Maybe as energy we will have some kind of conscious and maybe this is the thing that the religion is talking about.

So for these people who go around and say that religion is all bull**** and made up to control people( i know there are plenty of false preechers out there, but they are just using the religions), well **** them, let them think so, if they want to go **** around like animals and have a miserable life, or go kill or hurt people let them do it, if they think that this is better then the religions way of life let them think so, they are the ones who are going to **** up their life, and have a hell here on earth....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:15:03 PM by the_dave »
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline David

• Special Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
I don't have a miserable life and I believe religion is used to control people. Your hypothesis has been proven incorrect.
"It is dreadful when something weighs on your mind, not to have a soul to unburden yourself to. You know what I mean. I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." -Frediric Chopin

www.assyrianaid.org | www.aancoalition.org

Offline the_dave

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
I don't have a miserable life and I believe religion is used to control people. Your hypothesis has been proven incorrect.

incorrect by you maybe... religion was never created to control people, but after some time, when people started to see their own gain in it, a lot of the religion was starting to become a way to control people (false prophecies,). This is even written in the bible, that there will be people who will try to control you with the religion, and preech falsly. Is this the religions fault or the fault of mankind, well defenitly not the religion, it is the greed, and evilness of mankind.... Well if you are happy and have a good life and people around you do, and that you have never hurt someone on purpuse and never seek to do so, you are indirectly following a religion, because this is its message...

And if you think that you are not beeing controlled now, then you are just a fool. Media, capitalism, the monetery system, dictatorship our so called "democracy". The rich people and their so called laws they come up with... Its all controlling you right now...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:24:27 PM by the_dave »
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline Rumtaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »
Nice said the_dave!

Why do you think so? Its not the religion or our christian faith who tells you to get controlled, but it are humans like you and me, who look for their benefit and use those who dont have education.

Example of Roman Catholic Church, where they used to tell the strangest things to the belivers, telling them only lies, to manage a control over em and their $$$.

Beside that, aint you think that the political organisation aint kinda things to control people? Aint a Dictorship a way to control people?, Commusims?

And even our "liberal capitalist soeciety", but this is done on a high level, where they try to control your comsumptions, telling you what you need in your life to be "SOMEONE" to who everyone elose who aint have those things would look up to.

so YES Perants should teach it, since our priest and church, although teaching it, aint walk the way they talk...

Offline Salem

• Special Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 06:05:01 AM »
I wouldn't impose any religious beliefs on my children.

They will certainly be exposed heavily to Christianity due to mixing with the extended family and that might influence their thinking initially, but later on in life they can make up their mind what they would like to believe.

Offline Renee

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
renee and anyone who agrees with her view, do you take the view that children born into a christian family are christian children, or do you think that it is just a child without a religious affiliation (since it can't comprehend that choice yet)?

I don't know. I tend to lean towards the idea that Christianity is a way of life someone either chooses or doesn't, so not everyone that is baptised or goes to Church is actually a follower of Christ. As such, I believe children are somewhat exempt from judgement, or at least not judged in the same manner adults are. I believe that God is not only 100% just, but he is also 100% knowledgable and 100% merciful. So when you take all 3 into account, his judgement is wholistic and complete. Having said this, I go back to what I said and state that I don't KNOW, this is just what I think.

Do you think it's right to make a child's choice for something so important?

Teaching someone is not making an ultimate decision for them. I would venture to guess that you are an example of this, i.e. dispite your parents teaching you Christianity, you chose differently. Furthermore, if a parent has a particular religious affiliation, I assume that they hold this affiliation because they believe in it as truth and therefore beneficial. It is therefore completely justified and logical for this parent to want their child to also follow and therefore result in them teaching and influencing their children in this direction.

Do you not think that if you are a christian, that you should educate your child on as many religions as possible and allow them to make their own choice?  We do not force our children to be red sox fans or to be liberals, unless we're asses anyways, so why should we force our children towards a specific religion? 

This is a very loaded question, because you go on and pass judgement on anyone that would answer 'No', as in your analogy you refer to these people as asses. That's unfair. Are you asking these questions to force people into adopting your beliefs or because you would actually like to discuss this? If it's the latter, I suggest you try and be more respectful of other opinions/views, something which you seem to be advocating for our children.

Now to answer your questions...I don't think 'should' applies and the reason for this is, no matter what approach one takes, the results will be different for every individual. Some people that are only taught Christianity end up wanting to move far away from it, others develop it as a belief and live according to it. Some people that are exposed to all religions move away from religion all together, others choose the religion their parents are affiliated with and others choose a totally different religion. The fact is, no matter what the intention, the results of whatever influence you provide, varies among individuals so it's all relative in the end anyways.

Offline rumrum

• http://www.ramsen.net
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Kahlil Gibran On Children:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Love it.

Offline jud88hanne

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 02:00:04 AM »
It's one thing to teach your children about all the dominant religions and even agnosticism/atheism, it's another to impose one religion on them and expect them to be faithful in that religion.  Should parents have this right? Why or why not?

Personally, i think that if parents feel that religion is important, that they should teach their children about religions outside of their own, without imposing their own on their children.  They should allow the child to make their own choice and force should NEVER be apart of the equation.  Also, I do NOT buy into the idea that religion is something you are born into, rather, a choice you make.  A choice of religion is the same as a choice of a favourite sports team or a political stance.  You are not born a red sox fan or a leftist baby, no more than you are born a christian or muslim.  

Thoughts?

Parents should always impose the right things to their children be it religion or politics. Parents have the right to teach their children whatever it is that they think should be equipped on their children. I guess it's not the problem. The problem would be how your child adopts and internalizes all your teachings. If he is not taking your advices, then you have a problem with your child. Children nowadays are grasping for their rights which is sometimes wrong. They tend to be more of "accepting" rather that "giving". So they usually want to get what they want and not giving something up for you. We all know that there's an increasing trend in the number of troubled teenagers so we should better do something to help minimize that.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »
well if the parents are gonna feed, clothe, bath the kids; why not teach then?

Offline iraqicamel

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »
Depends if the parents are teaching them what's right.

I would definitely share my religion with my kids, and they would be forced to be baptized just like the rest of us. (It happened to me so I'm putting them through it too! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Plus it's an excuse to party.) But I wouldn't tell them that we're the only right ones. I wouldn't make them an apologetic either because I've become one in a way and it's a waste of time. If someone is different from us, embrace them.

Quote from: OnPoint

You are truly delusional, you know that. The article says that the LARGEST RELIGION in the world is ISLAM. period. I know that Catholicism is a sect of Christianity, but the article is wise enough to say that ISLAM has surpassed even the largest sect of Christianity which is Catholicism. That clearly shows that there are more Muslims than any other religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups

Offline Nahroyo

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
Let's take it from a different angle, is it right to impose our language on our children? Is it wrong to impose assyrian nationalism on our children? What if some of us here have children who are born and raised in north america and want nothing to do with their parent's language or culture?

Its not wrong, parents have the right to teach their children what ever they want, eventually children will reach an age where they can question what they are taught, if they like it then they stick to it, if they don't then they leave, simple as that.

Why do you think Amish people have rumspringa?    :lol:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:37:24 PM by Nahroyo »

Offline iraqicamel

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 06:37:18 AM »
Not everybody agrees with how Amish people live their lives. I think it's terrible that they're going to live their lives completely ignoring modern technology and way of life. Kind of reminds me of another group of people that we are geographically associated with.

I also don't believe in teaching anybody nationalism either - it will be more pure if they find out for themselves.
Quote from: OnPoint

You are truly delusional, you know that. The article says that the LARGEST RELIGION in the world is ISLAM. period. I know that Catholicism is a sect of Christianity, but the article is wise enough to say that ISLAM has surpassed even the largest sect of Christianity which is Catholicism. That clearly shows that there are more Muslims than any other religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
I THINK that parents should press on their children to teach them about the religion stuff!..the child might not like it at first, but in the end he or she is just a child!!!! they dont know whats important, they cant make their own mind ,,what do they want! what dont they want!
but if a parent leaves his son and doesnt teach him about these things, that can effect on the child when he grows up....religion is a part of our life! infact it IS our life!.....but a child doesnt know that, so the parent should teach him!  :angelnot:

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 03:59:54 AM »
I won't teach my children (if I have any) about religion.

They'll learn it themselves and choose the religion they want.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »
I won't teach my children (if I have any) about religion.

They'll learn it themselves and choose the religion they want.

What if that religion is Islam?

Offline Cascade

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »
What if that religion is Islam?
I would tell them that it's a bad religion. No need to "teach" them about it.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Bronit Omta

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
I would baptize my child and then raise them a Christian, take them to church every now and then and once they're old enough to make a clear educated choice (around their teens) they can decide whether or not they want to be religious.

Offline Cascade

I would baptize my child and then raise them a Christian, take them to church every now and then and once they're old enough to make a clear educated choice (around their teens) they can decide whether or not they want to be religious.
Very reasonable. I wish every Assyrian parent would do this.

Parents creeping children out...

Started by AshurienaBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 25
Views: 1267
Last post May 14, 2007, 05:07:15 PM
by Valantina
Will you be giving your children Assyrian names?

Started by AudaciousBoard Classic Threads

Replies: 86
Views: 41371
Last post January 17, 2006, 07:52:38 PM
by BuNzZz
New Moderator - Politics & Religion Forum

Started by SalemBoard Culture & History

Replies: 13
Views: 2252
Last post January 22, 2006, 07:21:41 PM
by peachy
whats some parents thinking with...?

Started by carroBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1175
Last post December 03, 2005, 10:29:17 AM
by A2reta4Eternity
Parents Who Fail To Listen To Warnings...

Started by JujUBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 7
Views: 676
Last post January 09, 2006, 10:17:03 AM
by atourina
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 5: index+Modifications.english (default), markItUp.english (default), SimTopics.english (default), Ads.english (default), Aeva.english (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 26 - 930KB. (show)
Queries used: 26.

[Show Queries]