By: Ashur Sada
The Mongolian empire, which dominated most of the known world during the 13th and 14th centuries, set the standards for brutality and the most barbaric and inhumane treatment of your enemies.
ISIS (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) seems to have broken these standards set by the Mongols and are setting new standards for what it means to be brutal, barbaric and bloody. They are making the Mongols look nice and respectable invaders in comparison, as crazy as that may sound. Since invading the northern Iraqi city of Mosul in early June, the ruthless terrorist organization keeps surprising us with new bloody surprises everyday. Not a day goes by without reading, watching or hearing of a new sick video or picture that is out there, showing what ISIS is up to. Some examples have included:
- Summarily executing some 1000+ Iraqi soldiers in one day
- Blowing up mosques, churches and extremely significant cultural landmarks in the city, including the mosque of prophet Jonah
- Applying an extreme set of rules for daily living for city residents, especially for females
- Forcing virtually every Christian out of the city, something not seen almost ever before
- Marking (Assyrian) Christian and other minority homes with special painted letters to designate them as their property
- Beheading Iraqi soldiers and displaying their heads and corpses in city streets for others to see
- Asking families in the city to submit their wives, daughters, mothers etc. to the organization for ‘Jihad sex’
- Publicly amputating legs and hands of those accused of stealing or other crimes
- Eliminating entire families and blowing their homes, for any small act they deem unacceptable
You get the picture. ISIS preaches an extreme version of Islam, but they may as well preach about ‘Satanism’ and that would make more sense. We have seen a lot of barbaric and terrorist groups in the last few decades but none comes close to this one. Their members, most of which are not even Iraqi, are brain-washed to the point where they don’t see anything else beyond what they have been told. It is just not possible to reason with these people because they have no concept of logic. And the irony of all ironies, despite preaching a very extreme version of the Qur’an, they seem to break most of what the book teaches.
Despite having some clueless backers, the above actions have caused a backlash from the rest of the Iraqi population, others in the region and people all around the world in general. But despite all the condemnation, protests and petitions, they are symbolic at best and nothing will matter. ISIS is not an organization that will leave Mosul due to public pressure or social media campaigns. What is actually needed is a joint and serious effort by the entire population of Mosul, backed by the Iraqi army, to eliminate this extremely cancerous snake called ISIS, once and for all.
Oh, and last but not least: the Mongols took about two centuries to stamp their name in history as being the most ruthless invaders. ISIS is doing it in a matter of a few months. In addition, their army was huge in size, numbering in the millions, compared to the few thousands that ISIS currently has in Mosul and other nearby Iraqi and Syrian cities.
Not sure how Genghis Khan would feel about ISIS making his empire look relatively nice in comparison?